Should I Hold Out for 06-07? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an '06 and if I could do it again I'd get an 03-05.
I have an '06 and agree with this.

'03-'05 will get you the same updated interior and 5 speed transmission. You avoid secondary air bypass issues, annoying TPMS system and AHC.

High altitude and vapor lock happens to all generations of cruiser. Not 100 specific and certainly not 06-07 specific.
I knew I'd offend some '06-'07 owner. It's not even really 'vapor locking.' Just search the word "stalled" and notice how many results you get from '06-'07 owners. Also keep in mind, there aren't that many '06-'07's that were sold. I've own my '98 for 20 years and many hot, high altitude destinations and never once experienced a stall... even with fuel and vapors pouring out of the fuel filler tube.

06-07 prices are scary close to 200 pricing - if you're willing to drop that coin, a 200 should be considered.

I was faced with this decision and ended up with a clean 2013 LX570. It’s scary how close they are and some 100s are even more expensive than 200’s.

OP, do it right the first time and find yourself a rust free well maintained 06-07. Hold on to it because it’s a special vehicle. Don’t chase after low miles, find well loved ones that’s been taken care of and you won’t have any regrets. This forum is a gold mine for Information if your cruiser have any issues. LX are more abundant, cheaper than LC and rides smoother and quieter :p . Easier to do headlight retrofits too

In short, no it's not worth waiting for specifically an 06-07 if there are other good options available that fit your needs. The 06-07 have their own set of issues specific to the VVTI as well so they aren't better in every respect. Personally I would recommend an 2003-2005 for a variety of reasons (like the 5-spd that is a huge upgrade despite what some may say) but everyone here has their own opinion of which is best depending on their actual experience and what they use the truck for.

I've put 90k miles on my 2003 LX470 and from towing to wheeling, I haven't ever considered upgrading to a 06-07. I put a set of headers on the truck which made for a nice bump in power.
Mine is a 2003 and I got it because it got the 5 gear transmission but no VVTI so I don't mess everything up if the timing belt breaks. I think it's a sweet spot between new and old!

I for one feel this post the most lol. I wanted an 06-07 LC (not an LX) and a super clean 05' LX popped up. I was going to make a move for it and it got sold lol. Sure enough a 2007 LC with 250k miles, but insane maint history (which to me is the most important factor regardless of what year you buy) and i pulled the trigger on it. Do i feel the extra HP? nope but i bought what i originally wanted, and i like the LC and it's Led taillights.

Buy once Cry once. Whatever you get make sure it's what you look back at everytime you get out of it.

Good luck with the search brother.

Bought an 06, paid a premium, glad I did.
Same.

I had a 99 and upgraded to an 06 for:

1. Airbags. Family member got t-boned by a red-light-runner and I just had my second child. Safety priorities shift over time.
2. Updated Styling. The 06/07 taillights are very nice.
3. Transmisstion. That 5 Speed is great.
4. VVTI. I'm ok with complexity. It's still a very reliable powertrain, even if a few extra systems offer some potential cost and complexity in the future. Worth it, IMO.

Same.

I had a 99 and upgraded to an 06 for:

1. Airbags. Family member got t-boned by a red-light-runner and I just had my second child. Safety priorities shift over time.
2. Updated Styling. The 06/07 taillights are very nice.
3. Transmisstion. That 5 Speed is great.
4. VVTI. I'm ok with complexity. It's still a very reliable powertrain, even if a few extra systems offer some potential cost and complexity in the future. Worth it, IMO.

I only got my 07 for the taillights lol

Everything else appears sorta nick picky. The complexity is there but it's still a old ass v8, it's not terrible to work on at all.

the 06/07 are just rarer too. The small premium you pay is worth it in that respect

I only got my 07 for the taillights lol

Everything else appears sorta nick picky. The complexity is there but it's still a old ass v8, it's not terrible to work on at all.

the 06/07 are just rarer too. The small premium you pay is worth it in that respect
Any premium paid now for an 06-07 will likely be earned back upon selling as well. It's not likely to be much of a lost investment, imo.

Any premium paid now for an 06-07 will likely be earned back upon selling as well. It's not likely to be much of a lost investment, imo.

Yep, just like the jeep wrangler tax and the toyota tax with the older pickups. You just pass it to the next person and they go in knowing they're paying a premium.

I knew I'd offend some '06-'07 owner. It's not even really 'vapor locking.' Just search the word "stalled" and notice how many results you get from '06-'07 owners. Also keep in mind, there aren't that many '06-'07's that were sold. I've own my '98 for 20 years and many hot, high altitude destinations and never once experienced a stall... even with fuel and vapors pouring out of the fuel filler tube.
You knew you’d offend some 06 owner? Do you even understand the definition of offend? What in my response lead you to believe I was offended?

Buy an 07, and try not to put too many miles on it. It should be kept in pristine condition and be sold to the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in SLC one day. :D

I for one feel this post the most lol. I wanted an 06-07 LC (not an LX) and a super clean 05' LX popped up. I was going to make a move for it and it got sold lol. Sure enough a 2007 LC with 250k miles, but insane maint history (which to me is the most important factor regardless of what year you buy) and i pulled the trigger on it. Do i feel the extra HP? nope but i bought what i originally wanted, and i like the LC and it's Led taillights.

Buy once Cry once. Whatever you get make sure it's what you look back at everytime you get out of it.

Good luck with the search brother.
Maintenance records are definitely the key. How about my 2003 from a single owner and the carfax maintenance record was like three pages long

Been an 06’ LX owner for about 6 months now, virtually no rust, did have some issues that got worked out, but I drive the thing to work everyday (1 hour commute) through hilly country roads and 80mph plus on the freeway…I f$&@ing love it. That said, I wish I didn’t have to deal with eventually replacing the AHC with traditional suspension, cool feature I suppose, but I’ve not used it once.

My '06 has stalled twice, and acted like it was going to stall at least five other times. No codes. Replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and it still happened. No idea what's causing it and it's super intermittent... like once every 4 months with no predictability.

Edit: The two actual stall scenarios happened at less than 10' above sea level. No I didn't forget any zeros.

'03-'05 will get you the same updated interior and 5 speed transmission. You avoid secondary air bypass issues, annoying TPMS system and AHC.

Plus no need to pay a big fortune to have cam seals replaced.

Buy once Cry once.

Buy a '03-'05 and no crying needed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom