FJ40 Early Horn Button Repro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just have horn button question in general…
Can a 60-72 horn button fit on a 72-76 steering wheel pad?

In my experience, yes! The differences are minor.. if it's too loose just add something to take up the slack from the back
How do you do this? The later style horn buttons with the pad around them attach from the back with screws. The early horn buttons press on from the front. I guess you could mount the early style retaining ring on a later wheel however I’m not sure how that would look.

How do you do this? The later style horn buttons with the pad around them attach from the back with screws. The early horn buttons press on from the front. I guess you could mount the early style retaining ring on a later wheel however I’m not sure how that would look.
He's not talking about that kind

60-72 has a lot larger horn button than a 72-76 pad. So how does this fit?
Whoops! I've been away from the forum for too long. You are correct. You cannot use a EARLIER (horn button in center) with a LATER wheel (center is decorative only... horn buttons on the side).

Note: there are multiple versions of the plastic insert for the EARLY horn button. Those plastic inserts and the outer housings can be exchanged for the most part without issue

@Kschep anything can be done if you get out the Dremel and epoxy.

That’s true, and I do have a dremmel and epoxy - I was just curious

I just hate that Tesla looking blue T on mine
Looks terrible in my opinion I want one of those silver earlier ones or something else .. any suggestions? Other than dremmel and epoxy lol

That’s true, and I do have a dremmel and epoxy - I was just curious

I just hate that Tesla looking blue T on mine
Looks terrible in my opinion I want one of those silver earlier ones or something else .. any suggestions? Other than dremmel and epoxy lol
You could find a red one. Toyota had blue and red ones. Exact same size. I prefer the Red T myself. They just pop out and you can swap them. Good luck on your hunt.

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ55 Steering Wheel Center Pad Horn Button Emblem (m77) | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/155241533594?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=155241533594&targetid=1645685073288&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9016271&poi=&campaignid=16730423415&mkgroupid=135815925780&rlsatarget=pla-1645685073288&abcId=9300841&merchantid=118842418&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Le425ju_gIVnRetBh0eeA7AEAQYBiABEgJqSvD_BwE

Red T FJ40.jpg

I just have horn button question in general…
Can a 60-72 horn button fit on a 72-76 steering wheel pad?
I’m looking for one of the early ones, up to early 72.

okay back in business... I've got bubble mailers coming from amazon and then ill be contacting to ship these out. should have 10 painted by tuesday

View attachment 1391604 View attachment 1391605
I’m attempting to make a new button for my cruiser. I have the casting down, but I can’t get clean looking lines with my paint job. How are you getting your lines so clean where the Toyota lettering meets the triangle shape?

I’m attempting to make a new button for my cruiser. I have the casting down, but I can’t get clean looking lines with my paint job. How are you getting your lines so clean where the Toyota lettering meets the triangle shape?
If I remember correctly I would use really nice painters tape for the straight lines (two bottom V lines and then one long piece across the top.

Then I would hand paint the white with a very small brush

Then I use a razor blade or q tip or toothpick to clean up the inside paint lines or I would wetsand with 400-600 grit to clean up the edges and prep for the silver paint.

If I remember correctly I would use really nice painters tape for the straight lines (two bottom V lines and then one long piece across the top.

Then I would hand paint the white with a very small brush

Then I use a razor blade or q tip or toothpick to clean up the inside paint lines or I would wetsand with 400-600 grit to clean up the edges and prep for the silver paint.
Thanks! I’ll give that a try. I hope I can make mine look as nice as the ones you have created.

Most of mine are restored older ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom