Should I Hold Out for 06-07? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TrichoCruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I am in the market for my first LC 100, and I am currently plagued by doubt when it comes to pre 2006 LCs. I don’t see many excellent 06-07s coming on the market and my question is, is it worth waiting for one or would an earlier model suffice? For context, I want something close to stock that I can convert to an overlanding rig. I don’t expect to tow much if at all. Is the extra 40 or so HP worth the wait given I plan to put some weight on the truck in the form of bumpers etc? I’m not in a HUGE hurry but I would like to find something in the next few months.

Each has their bonuses. I love my 98 because no VSC/ATRAC and a stock rear locker. "Downsides" are a 2-pinion front diff that will need to be replaced eventually, a 4-speed transmission, and a slightly less powerful but far less complicated powertrain due to the lack of VVTI.

I guess my point is that those downsides (except the front diff) were bonuses to my simple DIY mind.

To each their own. There are more differences than just overall power.

I would say not worth it. Its a 30hp difference and the 06/07 make peak HP at like 5400rpm......im not sure I have ever rev'd mine that high lol Plus they seem to demand a price premium. I would rather get a nicer overall vehicle with that extra money. To me it was important to get a 5 speed transmission so I ended up with a very nice 05'. 3rd owner and west coast truck its entire life (no rust). I paid much less than a similar 07' would go for.

In short, no it's not worth waiting for specifically an 06-07 if there are other good options available that fit your needs. The 06-07 have their own set of issues specific to the VVTI as well so they aren't better in every respect. Personally I would recommend an 2003-2005 for a variety of reasons (like the 5-spd that is a huge upgrade despite what some may say) but everyone here has their own opinion of which is best depending on their actual experience and what they use the truck for.

I've put 90k miles on my 2003 LX470 and from towing to wheeling, I haven't ever considered upgrading to a 06-07. I put a set of headers on the truck which made for a nice bump in power.

I had a really specific list when I shopped for mine, wanted an '06 or '07, didn't want AHC, didn't want rear entertainment, no LX, under 100k miles, etc. I really just made the process more difficult than it needed to be. If I were to do it again, I'd consider all years and pick the best example especially given how old these things are getting.

Drive a couple and see if you notice the difference. The power increase is from 4000 RPM onward, so when the early engines are shifting to the next gear; the VVTI engine keeps revving. The big thing is the 5-speed transmission, it's way better than the 4-speed. 5-speed was introduced in 2003. Also the 06/07 trucks have interior upgrades and cool LED taillights. 06/07 definitely command a premium. My advice if you have a need for speed and are on a budget is to get a 2003 model and put a supercharger on it.

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I have definitely noticed a premium on the 06-07s and while I am willing to pay for the right truck, I don’t want to spend an extra $10k if it isn’t worth it. Sounds like I may shift my focus to 2003+. I believe those also have child seat anchors which is a minor but nice additional feature given I have two young kids.

I have a 99 LX and am sure a 5 speed would be nice, but I have no complaints. The quality of the ride that comes with a vehicle this age is amazing and will make up for any perceived shortcomings (non vvti, atrac, 4 speed, etc).

I did pretty much what @aging fleet did. This was in 2011 so my mileage number was lower (50k). We like to think of these trucks as "rare", but they're really not. Sure, an AutoTrader search of 20 miles from home may not yield exactly what you're looking for the first time. But, if you're willing to travel a little bit (a lot if you're in the rust belt - do it!) and are even a little patient, the exact 100 you seek is out there.

I wanted the 5-speed, the (slightly) upgraded exterior and interior, but mainly, I wanted the VVTI. 12 years later, I'm still glad I hunted a bit.

I believe those also have child seat anchors which is a minor but nice additional feature given I have two young kids.

I think the federal mandate was for 2003 and onwards, my '03 definitely has them. '04 adds a reverse camera that's nice to have around those kids.

Last edited:
cool LED taillights
I thought the same about my 4R until I found out I had to replace the whole LED tail light instead of a bulb 🤣

I test drove a 99, 04, 06. I dont rev enough to notice the VVTI, the 5 speed is a must for me. Unless I find a steal.

I've had both, a 2000 and now a 2006. I prefer the 2006, mainly due to the updated exterior, and the updated interior. However, let's face it, it's still old and outdated. Performance wise, the VVTI with 5 Speed certainly helps, and makes city driving a lot peppier over the non-VVTI with a 4Speed, but let me tell you...you still aren't going fast. My 2000 was built, and my 2006 is build with similar mods. So it's a pretty easy comparison as the weight, and tire size is the same.

If you can swing it, get the 06-07 and don't look back. If you can't swing it, get the earlier models as you are only really missing out on a small performance boost and some visually appealing upgrades. I would pay a slight premium for the newer model year, but not $10,000 worth.

In short, no it's not worth waiting for specifically an 06-07 if there are other good options available that fit your needs. The 06-07 have their own set of issues specific to the VVTI as well so they aren't better in every respect.
Just off the top of my head.... some issues specific to the 06-07 Model Year (US/CAN Market). I'm not going to argue the issues, you can research them yourself and decide.

-No aux fuel tank options
-High altitude, no-start issue
-Interference Engine
-Fuel Pump is unique to 06-07 and seems to have more issues than 98-05
-MAF is also unique
-Air Induction Pump Issues (Bypass is possible)
-Most 06-07's have AHC--- pro or con depending on preference

The 100 market continues to soften, which I think is helping dilute the 06-07 premium a bit. I have an '06 and glad I waited to find one. Mine isn't a daily, though. We're looking for an 03-07 for my wife with a kid on the way. There's plenty out there right now. I would wait.

06-07 prices are scary close to 200 pricing - if you're willing to drop that coin, a 200 should be considered.

In the 100 realm, 5spd is the way, as it pairs with the 2UZ very well. A343 (4spd) is an exceptionally durable trans, but so is the A750 (5spd).

If I was going to a 100 again, it would be an 03-05. But I've had it with their front diffs and steering racks...

06-07 prices are scary close to 200 pricing - if you're willing to drop that coin, a 200 should be considered.

In the 100 realm, 5spd is the way, as it pairs with the 2UZ very well. A343 (4spd) is an exceptionally durable trans, but so is the A750 (5spd).

If I was going to a 100 again, it would be an 03-05. But I've had it with their front diffs and steering racks...
I have an '06 and if I could do it again I'd get an 03-05.
Any reason in particular?

Just off the top of my head.... some issues specific to the 06-07 Model Year (US/CAN Market). I'm not going to argue the issues, you can research them yourself and decide.

-No aux fuel tank options
-High altitude, no-start issue
-Interference Engine
-Fuel Pump is unique to 06-07 and seems to have more issues than 98-05
-MAF is also unique
-Air Induction Pump Issues (Bypass is possible)
-Most 06-07's have AHC--- pro or con depending on preference
High altitude and vapor lock happens to all generations of cruiser. Not 100 specific and certainly not 06-07 specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom