FJ40 Mark/Downey Header (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi @gonzopancho hope you're doing well - just wanted to see if you have any idea on a rough timeline, is it 0-6 months? 6-12 months? or greater than 1 year? I've got my name down on the list for a header, but have an issue with my current manifold and don't want to move too quickly if this thing is right around the corner. Thank you!!

Hi @gonzopancho hope you're doing well - just wanted to see if you have any idea on a rough timeline, is it 0-6 months? 6-12 months? or greater than 1 year? I've got my name down on the list for a header, but have an issue with my current manifold and don't want to move too quickly if this thing is right around the corner. Thank you!!
Hi @corcel , I am sorry for the delay in replying.
W/o speaking for @gonzopancho , I can say we are in the <6 month window. We learned a lot by fitting that first prototype.
I see you are in CA, are you looking to have someone install the header? Or would you be in the DIY category?
Last question - what is the issue w/ your current manifold? I am assuming you mean you have an issue w/ your exhaust manifold?

Hi @corcel , I am sorry for the delay in replying.
W/o speaking for @gonzopancho , I can say we are in the <6 month window. We learned a lot by fitting that first prototype.
I see you are in CA, are you looking to have someone install the header? Or would you be in the DIY category?
Last question - what is the issue w/ your current manifold? I am assuming you mean you have an issue w/ your exhaust manifold?
Hi Pablo,

I’m in the DIY category - my manifold has a big leak, and since I’m going to be in there already, I’m planning to swap out my California thermoreactor manifold for a federal one or a header. Thank you!

Hi Pablo,

I’m in the DIY category - my manifold has a big leak, and since I’m going to be in there already, I’m planning to swap out my California thermoreactor manifold for a federal one or a header. Thank you!
Got it, thanks.
Where in CA are you?
What year is your 40?

comin up on 2 years, any production units expected ?

My timeline shows @gonzopancho got a sample from @65swb45 in March of '22, in April @Dianna was kind enough to loan us a cylinder head, and by May of '22 we saw pictures of the development of tooling for the rectangular primaries.

Fast forward to late Nov when we got 2 prototypes.

We noticed a few opportunities for better fitment and are expecting a v2 prototype soon!

I am not trying to be contrary, but I don't know where the 2 years comes from? This thread started in Oct of '21.

I hope that gives everyone a little more clarity on where we are.

My bad, I was going off post dates not actual production/r&d dates, on me for not reading thouroughly.

My bad, I was going off post dates not actual production/r&d dates, on me for not reading thouroughly.
No worries at all!
I know it’s frustrating waiting for a final product.
We are pretty excited about this, but it is definitely taking some time.
I look forward to providing updates!
Thank you for asking.

The issue is how to make them fit best across the years. The prototypes made by copying the Downey/Mark’s design were too close in places.

Update coming soon.

IMG_7059.jpeg

Could you make a run of the original design while this new design is fine tuned?
Brian, it costs thousands of dollars to make a jig; you only want to make ONE. IIRC, it cost Jim $8000 for the jig I inherited 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Mark, in real world use is there a benefit to this header vs. say using 3fe manifolds ?
Whats the cost range looking like for these new headers ?

I just did that with a MAF 2 piece. Sexy.
Alright agreed, I am sold!

How do I contact and find the Wizard to weld up a nice connection to the rest of the exhaust or heck, just rebuild the whole thing header to exit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom