Aftermarket air filter options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

I'm curious if anyone has ever swapped out their stock air filter boxes for something that breaths better and is a little more common to get filters.

IMG_5225.JPG

The filters I've been able to find don't fit in the housing very well and squish down pretty good, plus its like $60. I'm gonna be turboing the 2L soon also and wouldn't mind somthing that can flow more air. Has anyone put a filter housing in from like a cummins or somthing?

I’m thinking about putting on cold air intake… like a K&N one.

Every friend I have has one on their little honda… I think it looks super stupid and it’s pointless and a terrible idea.

But I think for my old diesel it might actually be beneficial.

Perhaps it’s a good option for you as well.

Don't use a K&N filter

their stock air filter boxes for something that breaths better
The stock is good and breaths and filters well. Don’t change, you are only downgrading.

The stock is good and breaths and filters well. Don’t change, you are only downgrading.
oh really? I get a bit of black smoke at 80% throttle and it stops accelerating, I figured it was starving for air.

Rumor is AFE makes filters for TRD

oh really? I get a bit of black smoke at 80% throttle and it stops accelerating, I figured it was starving for air.
Welcome to an N/A diesel. I'd be highly doubtful that the factory intake is a restriction.

Toyota factory air box and filters have been shown to be the best option until you significantly increase airflow with a turbo.

K&N filters are rubbish at filtration. There's been legitimate testing done on several brands of filters and K&N where at the bottom of the list. Toyota and other OEM filters are the best you can get, along with a few aftermarket brands like Donaldson Filters.

The factory filters actually do what they are supposed to, and aren't a restriction if they are maintained sensibly.

Floored it take about 30 seconds to get up to 60 km/h in a 4wd 1st gen 4Runner. Normal?
I've never driven a 2L but have had a few 2H powered trucks. Probably is about right, especially if you have larger tyres etc. than stock.

Nothing wrong with toyota paper filter. At least every change you know the filter is clean and good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom