HELP NEEDED FROM LC200 OWNERS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decision time and I am asking forum members to please weigh in!

Current cars: '11 7.2RS and '18 F80 M3 6speed, BMW individual in Imola Red, where I am the original owner. It is our grocery getter and around town car - it is in very nice condition.

Wife and I are expecting our first child in the coming months and I have entertained trading away the M3 for a Toyota Land Cruiser. I have a deal potentially lined up but I am second guessing myself about the F80 decision, especially in-light of the new offerings from BMW.
On one hand, the Land Cruiser is the world's most reliable vehicle, will give us a lot of utility, but on the other hand, M3 is a cool kid hauler. We have two small dogs on top, so the M3 will be very cramped.
For those who walked this path before me, please share your infinite wisdom(s)!

Decision time and I am asking forum members to please weigh in!

Current cars: '11 7.2RS and '18 F80 M3 6speed, BMW individual in Imola Red, where I am the original owner. It is our grocery getter and around town car - it is in very nice condition.

Wife and I are expecting our first child in the coming months and I have entertained trading away the M3 for a Toyota Land Cruiser. I have a deal potentially lined up but I am second guessing myself about the F80 decision, especially in-light of the new offerings from BMW.
On one hand, the Land Cruiser is the world's most reliable vehicle, will give us a lot of utility, but on the other hand, M3 is a cool kid hauler. We have two small dogs on top, so the M3 will be very cramped.
For those who walked this path before me, please share your infinite wisdom(s)!
IMHO you just answered your question, kinda. Concur on M3's attraction so try to find a way to hold on and still get the LC? Best of both worlds. Seems as though we all haul more as time passes not less.

What year landcruiser are you specifically thinking about?

I would definitely keep the m3 personally if possible with how the newer design language has headed.

What year landcruiser are you specifically thinking about?

I would definitely keep the m3 personally if possible with how the newer design language has headed.
It would be an early gen LC200, with about 45k miles — it’s a clean one owner rust-free car.

It’s really hard to justify 3 cars.

I was in a similar situation with an E90 M3. Kid #2 rendered it completely impractical. Our family vehicle at the time was a G wagon and even that was not easy with 2 car seats. Sold the M3, kept the G as a seasonal DD, and bought a 200.

The 200 has been perfect for hauling the family around in comfort and safety. Not to mention it has taken us on countless adventures that would not have been possible in the M3.

I really only miss it on rare occasions. If we are out of town on a trip without the kids, I try to rent something semi exotic through Turo to get a speed fix. You have another vehicle for this anyway.

To me the decision would be easy. Sell the M and buy a low mile 2016+.

Last edited:
You’re having your first kid soon… look around at all the stuff in your house and what’s normally in your vehicle. This will be the least amount of stuff you’ll ever own or need again. If you even think you might have a second kid then buy for enough room for multiple kids as they will acquire stuff and have friends.

When I had my first child I sold both my cars, one was cool, the other was too small. I have never once regretted it. It was an upgrade to be able to accommodate my kids, which I wish I had more of. I also lost my hair but I think that’s just what happens as a stay at home dad.

It would be an early gen LC200, with about 45k miles — it’s a clean one owner rust-free car.

I mean the Porsche is not going to be doing alot of family stuff so you're stuck with just one family car if you got rid of the m3 anyways.

It depends what kind of family you have and what kind of cars you are used to.
If you like to live American style, everything plenty, then you'll only have one family car, the 200.
If you are comfortable with big city life/EU style, you'll find that Porche can do fine with kid, city driving, so you'll have two cars even if you sell.
I I'll keep them all, at least for now.
If you find your taste and priorities change after the kid turns one or two, you can sell.
You realy need two cars for daily. Keep the 3rd for emergencies when one car is down, and for therapy. You will need it from time to time...
Most of the time only one of you will be in the car with the kid. I assume someone does work in your household.
I also assume that if you own those two cars buying an used LC is not a financial burden.

I had a 15 F80 and got rid of it due to impracticality. A few years later I got a 15 F10 M5. I loved that M3. I do really like the M5 better in every way. Now having said that- I'd get rid of it for a 200 any day. I have both and still might take both used for a newer 200. This is after years of owning cruisers and M cars.

Main reason for me- which car are you going to load up family and gear and head to the mountains or across country in with no worries?

I ditched a 750i for a 4Runner Limited with my daughter on the way...I just felt an SUV would be a lot easier. Plus, kids tear sh*t up....I assumed the Toyota would take the beating better (think of having a car seat base cranked down on your M3 seat for a solid 18mos, then switching to a full car seat, then having the back of your passenger seat kicked to hell after a few years). I figure a car designed to play in the dirt and mud was also designed to clean up better (think dirty diapers, spit ups, spilled drinks, etc). I didn't look at one, but being in one now, an LC/LX would have been ideal.

I had a 15 F80 and got rid of it due to impracticality. A few years later I got a 15 F10 M5. I loved that M3. I do really like the M5 better in every way. Now having said that- I'd get rid of it for a 200 any day. I have both and still might take both used for a newer 200. This is after years of owning cruisers and M cars.

Main reason for me- which car are you going to load up family and gear and head to the mountains or across country in with no worries?
Haha our other car is a '14 535i. Great family car, the trunk will devour a stroller and still have room for everything else

Just traded my M4 for a Land Cruiser because my 2nd kid is on the way. My advice? M car is totally doable with 1 kid. I’d say keep the M and revisit this decision if/when you have another baby.

Better yet, talk your wife into the LC as her daily. Have your cake and eat it too. I tried but couldn’t pull it off lol

Get rid of the M3. And I say this as someone that has loved, admired, and dreamed of owning an M3 for decades. (Closest I've come was an '05 ZHP 6MT coupe in the same Imola Red, and an '07 E92 335i 6MT in Alpine White).

Our own first kid is a few months away, and combined with a large dog (figure - roughly equivalent in needs/space to your two small ones) I'm already having trouble imagining how we'll be packing for anything beyond a quick trip in town. Doing that in a sedan/coupe is simply impossible. The infant/child seat just arrived and it's a freaking monster; I doubt this one will even fit in an M3 (although others will).

Kids will introduce dirt, scratches, and other damage to any vehicle they're in. Do that to your M3 and you will destroy its resale value; no one will buy a performance vehicle that has been ab/used as a family car.

Keep the Porsche for date nights with the wife, and ensure kids can never access the garage to get to it. (Or just do the right thing and donate it to me. ;) )

I was in a similar situation with an E90 M3. Kid #2 rendered it completely impractical. Our family vehicle at the time was a G wagon and even that was not easy with 2 car seats. Sold the M3, kept the G as a seasonal DD, and bought a 200.

The 200 has been perfect for hauling the family around in comfort and safety. Not to mention it has taken us on countless adventures that would not have been possible in the M3.

I really only miss it on rare occasions. If we are out of town on a trip, I try to rent something semi exotic through Turo to get a speed fix. You have another vehicle for this anyway.

To me the decision would be easy. Sell the M and buy a low mile 2016+.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Maybe a quick search here will do, but any reason why 2016+ only?
Get rid of the M3. And I say this as someone that has loved, admired, and dreamed of owning an M3 for decades. (Closest I've come was an '05 ZHP 6MT coupe in the same Imola Red, and an '07 E92 335i 6MT in Alpine White).

Our own first kid is a few months away, and combined with a large dog (figure - roughly equivalent in needs/space to your two small ones) I'm already having trouble imagining how we'll be packing for anything beyond a quick trip in town. Doing that in a sedan/coupe is simply impossible. The infant/child seat just arrived and it's a freaking monster; I doubt this one will even fit in an M3 (although others will).

Kids will introduce dirt, scratches, and other damage to any vehicle they're in. Do that to your M3 and you will destroy its resale value; no one will buy a performance vehicle that has been ab/used as a family car.

Keep the Porsche for date nights with the wife, and ensure kids can never access the garage to get to it. (Or just do the right thing and donate it to me. ;) )
Thank you.
I absolutely do not care about resale value, in fact my dogs have free roam of the back seats without any protection - I don't care, it's a car.
I have no issue just parking the M. I have thought about borrowing parents' garage space but that feels... wasteful, and I don't necessarily want to look after 3 cars at this point in my life. I know its one of those situations where in 10-15 years time, I wish I would have never sold it, but it is probably time to move on for new experiences.

Just traded my M4 for a Land Cruiser because my 2nd kid is on the way. My advice? M car is totally doable with 1 kid. I’d say keep the M and revisit this decision if/when you have another baby.

Better yet, talk your wife into the LC as her daily. Have your cake and eat it too. I tried but couldn’t pull it off lol
Wife would have no issue adding the LC instead of swapping M3. in fact, the M3 is hers. I do not want to look after 3 cars at this point in my life.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Maybe a quick search here will do, but any reason why 2016+ only?

8 speed transmission and updated front end (which especially looks better on the LC), plus interior updates and generally less miles. You might even find one with a CPO warranty. Also, with kids the powered opening tailgate is really nice.

Wife would have no issue adding the LC instead of swapping M3. in fact, the M3 is hers. I do not want to look after 3 cars at this point in my life.

Then I would suggest buying the 200, and holding on to the M short term. See what gets driven more and what is easier with a baby. At that point if you are ok with 3 vehicles keep all 3, or sell the M as originally planned, or sell the 200 if you like the M better.

Logistically, 3 vehicles are not hard to handle. Plus as others mentioned, it's nice to have a spare if one is down...or if a weekend wrenching project unexpectedly goes another week.

Your 2 current cars and the one that you are entertaining have depreciated the most that they are likely to during your (prospective) ownership. I know you say resale value is not a concern, but something to consider as a tick in the plus column for having all 3. Keeping the M3 at a family member’s house or springing for a lift or stacker for the least-driven fun car is an option to strongly consider. I think most of us on here with kids agree it’s a life-changing and rewarding experience. I think most of us would also agree it can be challenging and that hanging on to a hobby or passion (if feasible) will be rewarding for you and, by proximity, your family. I’ll add that kids tend to gravitate to the mysterious less-driven cars…which makes those daddy-son/daughter drives more rewarding.
Definitely a 1st world problem with which a number of us have had to “wrestle”…congrats on the most important addition to the family and enjoy the ride.

I'm not understanding your point. I live alone and had 5 cars until last summer, now I'm down to 3. They're handy here in the Northeast for when it is too cold to ride my three motorcycles.

I'm not understanding your point. I live alone and had 5 cars until last summer, now I'm down to 3. They're handy here in the Northeast for when it is too cold to ride my three motorcycles.
I live in a major city where parking is severely limited

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom