76 FJ40 Ignition switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have tips or tricks for replacing the cylinder switch ? The old one was gone when my friend picked up this cruiser and the new one seems to be a pain in the a… to get back in.

Thanks

Do you need the switch or the key cyldr?
He has a new keyed cylinder but is struggling to get it pushed into the old slot. From what I can tell it pushes almost all the way in then seems to just stop about 2 maybe 3 MM out.

So I’m wondering if there is some trick or do I just tell him push harder. I’m not around the cruiser and he’s just an old cowboy, so his answer is usually a bigger hammer.

I never messed with clyder side. I know the end of it slides into the slot of the switch. You might try removing the switch.

I never messed with clyder side. I know the end of it slides into the slot of the switch. You might try removing the switch.
Yeah I’m going to give him a hand tmrw. I’ve owned a bunch of cruiser but nothing newer than 72, so these switches in the column are foreign to me.

Take the clamshell off, the switch is opposite end of the cylndr. Have you tried turning the key while installing it.

Has you referenced the FSM for the correct procedure?

I replaced one 30 plus years ago and there definately is a sequence of events to it and if I recall correctly there is a very small plunger that needs to be depressed to insert it.....I have a vague memory of using a very narrow punch....paper clip width to depress it

EDIT....it was something like disconnect battery, insert key in new ignition, turn to on position, depress plunger then you can insert it, release the plunger and turn to off/hook up power and you're good to go......it was literally something rediculously simple like that

Last edited:
Success…Took one try and slides right in. His main problem was the Landcruiser was given to him with the guts of the ignition missing so he had no reference how it came apart.

He had me convinced it Was a pain in the a.s. You just line back up inside slot and it slides right in.. I would be very worried if I had a 75 plus Landcruiser, you can switch out the whole ignition in less than 30 seconds, I was blown away at how easy and fast. Any theif who wants a cruiser just needs a new 35$ switch and a nail….Kinda scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom