87FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just starting a thread to document the progress of my new cruiser.

I’ll be installing a Dobinsons 2” IMS suspsension lift along 33x10.50’s on factory wheels. Took all 4 wheels off to take to tire shop tomorrow along with the spare which looked to be the original stock tire. Surprised to see chrome under all the dirt!

IMG_4223.jpeg

IMG_4224.jpeg

IMG_4220.jpeg

IMG_4221.jpeg

just make sure once the lift and tires are on it, that the rig will fit out the door.

just make sure once the lift and tires are on it, that the rig will fit out the door.
You ain’t kiddin!! The garage door height in this cookie cutter neighborhood are the shortest I’ve ever been around. I think I’ll be good but my dreams of a roof rack might be squandered. Thanks for the reminder though! I can see myself having an “oh-sh$t” moment like that!

Well..Discount Tire just denied mounting these tires on my factory rims. I guess my wheels are 6” wide and they require at least 7” to mount a 10.5.

I guess it begs the question: is a 33x10.50 tire mounted on a 6" wide rim really "safe?" Of course this is a subjective topic as what one considers safe may be someone else's version of potential catastrophe. It seems it's a common combination though so I'm curios to know anyone's opinions, either from experience or thoughts.

I guess it begs the question: is a 33x10.50 tire mounted on a 6" wide rim really "safe?" Of course this is a subjective topic as what one considers safe may be someone else's version of potential catastrophe. It seems it's a common combination though so I'm curios to know anyone's opinions, either from experience or thoughts.

If only there was documentation of people running 10.5” tires on stock rims for the last +25 years

If only there was documentation of people running 10.5” tires on stock rims for the last +25 years
Exactly my thoughts...as much as I wanted to argue this point with the manager at Discount, we've entered an age where common sense and logic are over-ruled by algorithms. I appreciate the feedback. I've been digging and reading through many threads and have found that others have experienced the same denial at the major tire shops as of late. I found a local shop that has no problem mounting em up.

The medium duty front springs from Dobinsons were on back order so they sent me the heavy duty springs which require the third leaf to be removed. I’m a bit confused as to why there is so much difference between the two. Any thoughts?

IMG_4243.jpeg

IMG_4244.jpeg

IMG_4245.jpeg

IMG_4246.jpeg

My understanding is that while it's safe to drive on, the handling characteristics on the highway leave something to be desired. All that squishy rubber without much metal in the middle. I don't personally own this setup, but I've spent hours reading threads from people who do as I pick a tire/wheel combo for my HJ61

Looking good, happy to help! Hope the rest of the install goes smoothly.

Just saw your post about the difference between the 3rd leafs that you pulled from the front springs, that’s interesting - mine were almost identical. I’m sure there is some slight variation among these springs, probably explains some of the cruiser leans, etc we end up with. Overall I think this is an awesome kit and quality is great, each kit/cruiser may require some slightly different fine tuning to get things perfect but it seems pretty close right off the shelf.

don't forget to re-torque the ubolts after a bit of driving

Looking good, happy to help! Hope the rest of the install goes smoothly.

Just saw your post about the difference between the 3rd leafs that you pulled from the front springs, that’s interesting - mine were almost identical. I’m sure there is some slight variation among these springs, probably explains some of the cruiser leans, etc we end up with. Overall I think this is an awesome kit and quality is great, each kit/cruiser may require some slightly different fine tuning to get things perfect but it seems pretty close right off the shelf.
Thanks again! I hope so too. I was able to sneak out and get started on the driver side rear and found out my entire exhaust from the cat back isn't actually mounted to anything...:oops: I didn't get a good enough look to see if the mount hardware was sheared off or just never installed whenever the last exhaust work was done. Either way, it explains why my tailpipe was so close to the shackle.

Yeah, the spring packs for the front were from two different batch numbers. Not a big deal but a noticeable difference. I had 3 springs from the 7923 batch and one (the shorter) from a different numbered batch. I called Dobinsons Direct and asked about this discrepancy and he said he's never had anyone report on this issue so wasn't sure but re-assured that there may be some differences since the batch numbers were different. It made sense to me to just use the odd numbered (shorter) pack on the passenger side to correct the cruiser lean so we'll see if that worked out anyway. My assumption was the 7923 batch was the newest and the odd numbered leaf pack was from an older batch.

Sure will! Thanks for the reminder. It was tricky getting them to torque to begin with so I imagine after a few miles and everything settling in there will be some re-torqueing required.
second this, emphatically. when i checked after putting on my OME lift, the nuts were scary loose.

Spent an hour or so adding the leaf I originally removed from the 7L front packs back to the drivers side front to help correct the lean. I still didn’t achieve a completely level stance but I’ll put a few hundred miles on it as-is and see where she settles. The two front leaf packs I received were from two different batch numbers; one was significantly more arched than the other so I decided to add the leaf from the older, less arched pack. I may need up switching them again as I’m still about 1/4” low on that side. :bang: Also, really wish these BFG’s were actual 33” tall. They fall short about 2”.
IMG_4467.jpeg
IMG_4471.jpeg
IMG_4470.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom