Rear axle damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am new hear.
I am restoring a 1976 BJ40 which had an accident hitting on the front left side and rear right wheel.
The rear left wheel turns well as the driveshaft.
The rear right wheel, which got the hit, turns only with difficulty and is not in line with the car any more, it turns changing wheel angle, so I think the axle got damaged.
It should be a semi floater, as it has no hub sticking out of the wheel mounting/drum plate and has a differential back cover.

I want to go for a bearing, oil seal and axle change and I understand that I have to get the rear differential cover off, look for the axle end and get a C-clip off, than the axle should come out of it's housing.
Do I have to take the brakes and the brake plate off?
I read that there are different semi-float sizes and end splines, what do I have to be aware of?

(As I changed the front differential broken pinion, I got a new fine spline pinion, but had originally a coarse spline one with coarse spline hub, and lost months to get the new fine spline hub!)
Any suggestions or instruction files? I have the workshop manual, but it is kind of hermetic ....
Thanks!!
Guido

rear-differential-cover.jpg

rear-wheel.jpg

rear-wheel-2.jpg

Hello. You should not need to pull the rear brake plate to remove the axle. Pull your c-clips and the axle should slide out. It goes without saying though you will need a puller to remove the bearing. I believe that these are all 30 spline axles?

There is not a whole lot to the front hub setup unless you are wanting to know more about the knuckle assembly. See if you can find some YouTube tutorials and post some pictures of what you have and I’m sure that the team here can help.

FYI, next time you could put mini truck hubs on from a later model Toyota as they are also fine spline and they work great.

You are sure the axle flange bent and not just the wheel ? You will need to pull rear cover, remove pin volt that retains the cross shaft in the carrier, remove cross shaft, remove center block, remove C clips, pull axle. Not familiar with what spline count for what year on the BJ non US but I would bet the rear is 30.

With the left wheel on the ground and the gearboxes in neutral, you should be able to rotate the drive shaft and have the right axle turn to see if it rotates straight or wobbles. Probably will take a second person or you could use a video camera.
If your very careful and have the wheels well chocked, you could run it in gear and 2WD.

Thanks to all.
First, I did the front job already, the wheel hubs were ok, so I used the old ones. When the acident happened, the car was in 4WD and that is why the front differential pinion broke, I got a new pinion and wheel, but the pinion had the fine spline and the flange to the powertrain was coarse, that's why I had to get a new fine spline one.
The front impact was quite bad, as it broke two leafs and bend the

At the back the left wheel wobbles and is REALLY hard to turn. I actually did put the car in 2WD and it runs forwards and backwards. The wheel is not bend, as I got a new one and I can see the brake drum actually changing angle when turning and looking parallel to the drum front.

I will do the job saturday and post pictures.

I can see the brake drum actually changing angle when turning and looking parallel to the drum front.
How about the axle flange with the brake drum removed? Could the drum be bent?

I would replace the bearing & seal as well. It may get interesting getting the bent axle out

Pics of the tank protection in back, curious ?

Generally, you would change the pinion and the ring gear. They wear in as a set. I'll be surprised if they don't run noisy. Locking hubs would
solve the noise issue. Fine spline pinion flanges are available new. I would think the axle shaft would break rather than bend, however the axle housing can bend
causing the axle shaft to bind when spinning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom