Using AI, ChatGPT (OpenAI) & Ih8mud.com To Search Tech, FAQ, Parts, Solutions etc… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this isn't related to chatgpt - but has anyone else noticed the search not working anymore? You can't seem to search within a forum, thread, or classifieds. It only searches everywhere?

Works for me...

Screenshot_20230502-145942.png

I'll add a few users from this thread to help with testing

View attachment 3311973

In this case, mudbot makes it seem like it is giving the right answer for a 96 80 series lug nut torque spec ,but as @OGBeno points out, it is different depending on wheel type and lug nut style on earlier 80 series and it gave the wrong torque setting anyway - it should be 76 ftlb for a 96 -97 with allow wheels and 109 for steel wheels and 91-94 allow wheels that use the lug nuts without the integrated washer. I am not sure where it got 87 ftlbs.

Couldn't tell if @woody chose this example on purpose to demonstrate its limitations or not, but wouldn't want people to make the mistake of trusting its answer.

As someone who works in the industry, this is not AI (dare I say there's actually no such thing as AI?) Think of it more as a modern take on Ask Jeeves where a search result is provided in grammatical sentences instead of lists. Lots of if, then, else trees with a "confidence" calculation to float a single answer to the top. AI is just a marketing buzz word no different than Cloud (rented servers).

The scary thing about "AI" is not Terminator 2, it's WarGames.

@iptman i just asked it to write me a song about four wheel drive as in Robert Hunter song writer for the Grateful Dead. In two seconds this came back.

FC069C1C-73B6-45DB-A5B1-65448BF86C42.png

ChatGPT and Ask Jeeves are quite different in terms of their underlying technology and capabilities.

Ask Jeeves was a search engine that relied on a natural language processing system to interpret user queries and provide relevant search results. It was launched in 1996 and was one of the first search engines to use natural language processing. However, it was limited in its ability to understand complex language and could only provide search results based on a limited set of pre-determined answers.

ChatGPT, on the other hand, is a large language model that uses deep learning to understand and generate human-like language. It is not a search engine, but rather a conversational AI that can understand and respond to a wide variety of queries and topics in natural language. ChatGPT is designed to learn and adapt to new information, making it more flexible and capable than traditional search engines like Ask Jeeves.

-ChatGPT Wrote This

Last edited:
Chat bot. gPT 4 are a bunch of newbs.
Losers

ChatGPT and Ask Jeeves are quite different in terms of their underlying technology and capabilities.

Ask Jeeves was a search engine that relied on a natural language processing system to interpret user queries and provide relevant search results. It was launched in 1996 and was one of the first search engines to use natural language processing. However, it was limited in its ability to understand complex language and could only provide search results based on a limited set of pre-determined answers.

ChatGPT, on the other hand, is a large language model that uses deep learning to understand and generate human-like language. It is not a search engine, but rather a conversational AI that can understand and respond to a wide variety of queries and topics in natural language. ChatGPT is designed to learn and adapt to new information, making it more flexible and capable than traditional search engines like Ask Jeeves.
Did you write this, or did ChatGPT?

@iptman i just asked it to write me a song about four wheel drive as in Robert Hunter song writer for the Grateful Dead. In two seconds this came back.

View attachment 3313259

And you think "Write me a song...." is not one of the more rudimentary functions the programmers wrote, probably years ago? You gave the key words "four wheel drive" with the "about" operator which resulted in tens of thousands of key word hits on a search. Then take those results and stringing together the words in an AB rhyme scheme. Adding the "like Robert Hunter" is purely superfluous and whether you think this result meets that part of the request is opinion in nature. The speed at which it returns the results of the function has no bearing on whether or not it's "AI" rather only a result of how much processing power was used to complete the function, and therefore irrelevant to the question.

-A programmer for ChatGPT Wrote This

FIFY... ;)

To help the Landcruiser community leverage openAI to help save time searching for tech info etc… I’m starting this thread to see how we can apply this new technology to Ih8mud. Post anything you feel is relevant but please do not post your personal views on artificial intelligence.

Here is a link to ChatGBT Link

How to use it?

Ask a question like “what are the fluid capacities of the FJ40” then drop in the ih8mud link to a specific thread or general thread like 40 Series FAQ. FAQ - 40-series FAQ - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/40-series-faq.13205/

View attachment 3309372

Or, be specific to a the thread within FAQ and drop in the link. 40 Series Fluid Capacities - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/40-series-fluid-capacities.175253/

View attachment 3309373

Did anyone actually look at the data in these results? It's nonsense. I can't imagine @Poser let a post in the FAQ that says the engine oil capacity of any FJ40 is 4.5 quarts. Also, automatic transmission.... tisk tisk.

Honestly chat gpt seems more of a start for ideas/places to start looking for information, but I wouldn’t trust it for facts for at least a few years. Honestly, I have a lot of questions about it because in the limited use I’ve had with it, it seems fun, but super factually inaccurate about a lot of simple stuff. Seems like a waste of time if you are looking for a specific fact about a niche thing like a fj40 wheel lug nut toque rating specific to a rim type, but if you know nothing, you can ask it “where can I find information about FJ40 wheel torque specs” and it can point you in that direction.

IMG_3490.png

IMG_3491.png

IMG_3492.png

And you think "Write me a song...." is not one of the more rudimentary functions the programmers wrote, probably years ago? You gave the key words "four wheel drive" with the "about" operator which resulted in tens of thousands of key word hits on a search. Then take those results and stringing together the words in an AB rhyme scheme. Adding the "like Robert Hunter" is purely superfluous and whether you think this result meets that part of the request is opinion in nature. The speed at which it returns the results of the function has no bearing on whether or not it's "AI" rather only a result of how much processing power was used to complete the function, and therefore irrelevant to the question.
So are you a duck, or not a duck? Asking for an AI bot friend.

@iptman your posts are helpful to understand this technology better. My original post was to spark the dialogue with a focus on applying the technology (AI) to the forum to help surface good information.

As everyone has pointed out, the technology is not there yet. From your perspective, do you think there is a way to develop the algorithm/code/logic to crawl forum (measuring visits, likes, sentiment etc..)and then reference FSM to deliver good information?

I come to the forums not only for information but for entertainment, conversation and banter with other humans. I'd be pretty disappointed if the second post on every thread was an AI generated response trying to answer the OP's technical question. In reference to your specific use case, no, I don't think it would be an effective tool for finding good information on Mud. The problem is, all these algorithms have to reference quantitative information to determine value and a confidence level but it's easy to manipulate that information. I rarely consider post counts (unless they're super low) and never "likes" to determine if someone's advice is sound. I haven't put a lot of thought in to it but I would say the 20-30 folks here on mud who's opinions and advice I find most reputable is based on hundreds, if not thousands of posts by each of these users which I've read over the years. Trying to reduce that all down to an algorithm, in my opinion, is not possible. The goal of most AI technologists is to fully extract the human element from certain repeatable, historically human tasks. But removing the human element also removes experience and that can't be replicated in an algorithm. I would much rather have a search function for a forum that returns threads only if a self curated list of trusted members have posted within them. That still might not get me the answer I'm looking for every time but if it works 90% of the time, I'd take it.

If the AI can include smarmy comments about dumb and repeat questions. Then it is all over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom