intro from new Sequoia owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings folks! Nice to find you all on this great little corner of the interwebs :)

I'm in Ontario Canada, just bought a 2010 Sequoia Limited. After searching all over the USA and Canada (autotempest is a great tool if anyone's not aware) I ended up finding one right next to my house, like literally the guy was 5 minutes from me lol.

The reason I went with a 2010 was because it's the newest year with the very high tow capacity. Not that I have really high towing needs, but it seems to me that there's gotta be something beefier about the way it's built, if it can handle that much. It's a 4WD so the capacity is like 9100lbs instead of 9700lbs, or something like that.

I have been doing some camping, and road trips, with my two boys (now 13 and 15yo) and last year we made a mega road trip in my minivan, boondocked all the way to the West Coast, took like 12 days, made stops along the way to see family etc. Amazing trip! But the boys said they're never doing it again unless we get a camper, it's just too much work setting up the van for sleeping every night and then turning back into "driving mode" every morning.

So I recently bought a small(ish) travel trailer, and then of course needed something to tow it with, which is how I ended up getting the Sequoia :) I've never towed anything in my life before, so this is gonna be quite the adventure!!

Currently in the process of getting it safety inspected and registered, needs new rear coil springs (one of them is broken) and they're pretty hard to find for a reasonable price, so working on that.

Anyways nice meeting you all, let me know if you have any questions or tips :p

- Q

Welcome!! Post pics of the rig up when you get a chance. They are great trucks

Ok gang, pics as promised :)
20230528_100512[1].jpg
20230528_100524[1].jpg
20230528_100537[1].jpg
20230528_100549[1].jpg
20230528_100602[1].jpg

Ok, so as mentioned over on the other thread, I've got some suspension work to do. Broken rear coil spring, will be replacing them both. Also doing rear shocks at the same time because gotta remove shocks to change spring, so might as well put in new. And a set of 1" spacers to bring up the rear so she doesn't get a saggy rear end when she's towing. Here's the parts, just drove down to Michigan to pick them up, she goes into the shop tomorrow morning:
20230528_201033[1].jpg
20230528_201127[1].jpg
20230528_201213[1].jpg

Also got a set of tow mirrors. Opted for the chrome, I know some people don't like chrome but I think it looks nice! The car has stock power folding mirrors but the passenger side one doesn't fold. And the driver's side up/down doesn't work, although left/right works fine. So a good upgrade! Here they are:
20230528_201359[1].jpg
20230528_201349[1].jpg

Last edited:
Ok, next order of business for me is to figure out trailer brakes. I have no idea where to begin, does anyone have any pointers? I've never towed anything before. I know that the pinout on the back of the truck has an "electric brake" pin and I know that the pinout on the trailer has an "electric brake" pin, and they line up. And there's a little box on the lower part of the dashboard next to my right knee that I was told is a brake controller. Looks aftermarket. I just want to make sure it works and understand how to use it.

Please post a few pics of the controller and your connections in the back of the truck / camper.

The Sequoia is already pre-wired, and it sounds like the previous owner left the controller and harness in there, so that is good.

I'd hook up the trailer and see if the trailer lights all work, then go for a test drive and see if the brakes work by adjusting the controller etc. Head to YouTube and search your controller (make / model name on it) to learn the functions. eTrailer also has lots of info and videos.

Sounds like you're almost set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom