Best Copper/Brass 4 Core FJ40 Radiator Option!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Several options out there across the many vendors… what’s the consensus on a favorite, if there is one? Man-A-Fre claims to have on OEM offering, any experience with that? Thanks in advance!!

Tom

^x2

And when you pick it up at the dealership, you can inspect it to make sure it's not mangled. If you order one shipped to you directly it's highly likely it will show up with some amount of mangling. Radiator mangling via direct shipment is required by law and a core competency for USPS/UPS/Fed-Ex :p.

^x2

And when you pick it up at the dealership, you can inspect it to make sure it's not mangled. If you order one shipped to you directly it's highly likely it will show up with some amount of mangling. Radiator mangling via direct shipment is required by law and a core competency for USPS/UPS/Fed-Ex :p.
😂

Put an OEM Toyota radiator in it.

Roger at City Racer does an excellent job of sorting out OEM radiators at the dealer to purge out any that were damaged in shipping. He then goes the extra distance of re-packing to more fully protect the radiator from damage.

Most I've come across over the years were four core. Believe I have one that is only a three core. The ends are still the small size and the four core. Also in AZ which may explain why.
Most 40 rads I’ve seen North of the 49th are three core. I don’t understand why they all weren’t 4 core. 🤷‍♂️

At the Toyota dealership here, you’d need the VIN of a truck that originally came with one to buy a 4 core. Buying parts for my 4 wheel disc brake ‘74 would be a headache. They won’t even sell me replacement wiper blades without my VIN.

Fortunately for me, the windshield & wipers are one of the original pieces left of the truck. About all that came attached with that VIN is the Cowl, heater, front doors, and… actually that’s about it. :D

Roger at City Racer does an excellent job of sorting out OEM radiators at the dealer to purge out any that were damaged in shipping. He then goes the extra distance of re-packing to more fully protect the radiator from damage.
Thanks! Unfortunately he is sold out at the moment.

Most 40 rads I’ve seen North of the 49th are three core. I don’t understand why they all weren’t 4 core. 🤷‍♂️

At the Toyota dealership here, you’d need the VIN of a truck that originally came with one to buy a 4 core. Buying parts for my 4 wheel disc brake ‘74 would be a headache. They won’t even sell me replacement wiper blades without my VIN.

Fortunately for me, the windshield & wipers are one of the original pieces left of the truck. About all that came attached with that VIN is the Cowl, heater, front doors, and… actually that’s about it. :D

Guess having titles from a 1960 FJ25 thru a 79 FJ40 would be a plus buying parts? Working on adding a 82 title to the mix. That moves to an even later generation of running gear. In the US buying parts for cruisers imported here is not an issue unless it's a part not used after 3/69. Then can take some convincing it's a US import. Worth finding if the part number still good and available before trying to convince it's a US market part. At one time we could get about any part with the part number. Some dealers were getting parts out of a non US market warehouse in California. Really a fluke we can still get a H55F. Guess unless your cruiser came with an H55F from the factory you couldn't even buy a bearing for one. Canada has plenty of non Canadian cruisers, can you order parts for them with a VIN? Unless I'm mistaken non US imports part can't be ordered thru US Toyota dealers.

Guess having titles from a 1960 FJ25 thru a 79 FJ40 would be a plus buying parts? Working on adding a 82 title to the mix. That moves to an even later generation of running gear. In the US buying parts for cruisers imported here is not an issue unless it's a part not used after 3/69. Then can take some convincing it's a US import. Worth finding if the part number still good and available before trying to convince it's a US market part. At one time we could get about any part with the part number. Some dealers were getting parts out of a non US market warehouse in California. Really a fluke we can still get a H55F. Guess unless your cruiser came with an H55F from the factory you couldn't even buy a bearing for one. Canada has plenty of non Canadian cruisers, can you order parts for them with a VIN? Unless I'm mistaken non US imports part can't be ordered thru US Toyota dealers.
I can't say for sure. I've only ever bought parts for one franken cruiser that was originally imported here.

Years back one of the parts women prided herself in her ability to track down hard to find JDM parts. We have a large number of JDM trucks in this area. It wouldn't surprise me if there's 1 JDM cruiser for every 2 left on the road that were originally sold here. It might even be 1 to 1 for every one left on the road (rust isn't good to local cruisers here). I don't have much faith in the part's department crew these days.

When I swapped in an 80 series booster they weren't able to find a spacer like these that City Racer now sells:
spacer-jpg.1025182

I knew that some Toyota pickups used them, but no dice finding them. In the end I made it work without a spacer instead.

Non-US import parts for non-US LCs can absolutely be ordered through normal supply lines in the US. I’ve been doing that for well over 15 years.

A few years back I ordered a 4 core 16400-49356 from Toyota Parts Deal for my 74 fj40. A few days later they sent an email requesting a year, make, and VIN so they could “verify fitment”. I replied stating I did not know my VIN, but I was certain the radiator would fit, and even if it did not, I would make it fit. I was certain that it was the radiator I wanted to purchase so “Please complete the order”.

Several days later they emailed again stating that since they could not verify fitment, they canceled the order and refunded my credit card. I immediately ordered another stating it was for a 78 fj40, made up a VIN, and they completed the order and shipped it to me. So far, I’ve avoided getting in trouble for falsifying information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom