Best way to mount roof top tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I thought I don’t need a roof rack to mount my rtt but it proves difficult to do so. There is no clearance for me to tighten the bolts.

I would like to ask what are my options? A roof rack is kind of heavy and expensive just to mount the tent.

Thanks for your help

IMG_4309.jpeg

IMG_4310.jpeg

So I thought I don’t need a roof rack to mount my rtt but it proves difficult to do so. There is no clearance for me to tighten the bolts.

I would like to ask what are my options? A roof rack is kind of heavy and expensive just to mount the tent.

Thanks for your help

View attachment 3314523

View attachment 3314524
While there are exceptions, almost all hard shell RTT's require an aftermarket roof rack due to exceeding the static/dynamic load ratings. The factory roof rack on a 100 series isn't designed to handle the load of a hard shell RTT (or most RTT's in general). There are numerous threads on this forum about how to mount an RTT to the different designs of land cruisers; including many on the 100 series.

You will want an aftermarket rack which utilizes all of the weight distribution points on the roof of the 100 series; not just the front and rear points. Take a look at Gamitivi racks and you will see an example of how to properly distribute weight to the roof to handle this kind of load.

The above are among dozens and dozens of threads exploring this.

While there are exceptions, almost all hard shell RTT's require an aftermarket roof rack due to exceeding the static/dynamic load ratings. The factory roof rack on a 100 series isn't designed to handle the load of a hard shell RTT (or most RTT's in general). There are numerous threads on this forum about how to mount an RTT to the different designs of land cruisers; including many on the 100 series.

You will want an aftermarket rack which utilizes all of the weight distribution points on the roof of the 100 series; not just the front and rear points. Take a look at Gamitivi racks and you will see an example of how to properly distribute weight to the roof to handle this kind of load.

The above are among dozens and dozens of threads exploring this.

I have had my RTT on my truck for months now. The stock cross bars were replaced with extruded aluminum, but I am using the stock side bars. Not a single issue, and handles my family of 5 in the tent just fine.

The extruded aluminum MOD still makes it very challenging to get the RTT installed due to clearance to the roof of the cruiser, but its definitely the way to go IMO if you are keeping the stock side bars. Follow this thread to read up on it; very simple, strong, and cheap.

I have had my RTT on my truck for months now. The stock cross bars were replaced with extruded aluminum, but I am using the stock side bars. Not a single issue, and handles my family of 5 in the tent just fine.

The extruded aluminum MOD still makes it very challenging to get the RTT installed due to clearance to the roof of the cruiser, but its definitely the way to go IMO if you are keeping the stock side bars. Follow this thread to read up on it; very simple, strong, and cheap.

I'm sure it works fine to modify and use the factory side bars this way; but I would still consider that an aftermarket solution that works for some RTTs.

I've had multiple RTTs for several years; wheeled a lot with them on as well but do not use them anymore and won't be going back to one. I do stand by the factory roof rack's dynamic load ratings being deficient for severe duty regardless of modification to the cross bars; the side rails just aren't remotely as sturdy as a proper aftermarket option. But to each their own.

After looking at various roof rack, and cross bars, I decided to use what I have laying around :)

I have some NRS raft frame parts laying around so I use 2 long ones as the cross bar mounting on the OEM rail. Also I have more parts laying around that I can add on as the need arises ( lights, awning mount, and so on)

IMG_4451.jpeg

IMG_4450.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom