Gear Oil for ARB Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
The 80 I recently picked up has ARB lockers front and rear, and I want to baseline all fluids.

According to the ARB manual, based on my climate and usage, I should run API MT-1 or SAEJ2360 140 weight full synthetic.

I've searched 'mud for hours and read a lot. It sounds like I should be getting gear oil without limited slip additive. This makes the right oil very hard to locate.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand (and source) for gear oil that meets API MT-1 or SAEJ2360 and is 140 weight, full synthetic, without limited slip additive?

Thanks for anything you can share.

PS. I just run basic Valvoline synthetic gear oil in my 200 series with Eatons front and rear. Would love to run the same stuff, but it does have limited slip additive.

What type of gear oil should I use with the ELocker?​

• Most gear oils are sufficient: a quality, petroleum-mineral based oil is recommended.
  • Synthetic oils and friction modifiers can also be used, but are not necessary.
  • In cold weather conditions, a lower viscosity gear oil (equivalent to API GL-5 75W-90) is recommended.

Last edited:
The 80 I recently picked up has ARB lockers front and rear, and I want to baseline all fluids.

According to the ARB manual, based on my climate and usage, I should run API MT-1 or SAEJ2360 140 weight full synthetic.

I've searched 'mud for hours and read a lot. It sounds like I should be getting gear oil without limited slip additive. This makes the right oil very hard to locate.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand (and source) for gear oil that meets API MT-1 or SAEJ2360 and is 140 weight, full synthetic, without limited slip additive?

Thanks for anything you can share.

PS. I just run basic Valvoline synthetic gear oil in my 200 series with Eatons front and rear. Would love to run the same stuff, but it does have limited slip additive.

What type of gear oil should I use with the ELocker?​

• Most gear oils are sufficient: a quality, petroleum-mineral based oil is recommended.
  • Synthetic oils and friction modifiers can also be used, but are not necessary.
  • In cold weather conditions, a lower viscosity gear oil (equivalent to API GL-5 75W-90) is recommended.

What your gear manufacturer recommends is far more important than what the carrier manufacturer recommends fyi. ARB's will function in dish soap, but the gears wont last very long.

I use Mobil Delvac 1 75-90 in all of my vehicles that call for 75-90. Great stuff and you can get gallons from summit racing.

I have never heard of 140 being a requirement in an 80. I lived in a climate that saw 120f+ temps every year and have only run 75-90.

Maybe this is from the wrong manual?

1683126860319.png

I consider my location temperate (northeast USA) and my intended use is heavy recreational.

What your gear manufacturer recommends is far more important than what the carrier manufacturer recommends fyi. ARB's will function in dish soap, but the gears wont last very long.

I use Mobil Delvac 1 75-90 in all of my vehicles that call for 75-90. Great stuff and you can get gallons from summit racing.

I have never heard of 140 being a requirement in an 80. I lived in a climate that saw 120f+ temps every year and have only run 75-90.
Thank you. Looks like it is also readily available, which is a huge plus.

Maybe this is from the wrong manual?

View attachment 3313630
I consider my location temperate (northeast USA) and my intended use is heavy recreational.

That is about as general as you can get lol. Never even seen that table before.

Arb's are very simple inside and the only friction surfaces are the spider gears that move extremely slowly when turning (and not at all when locked). The ring and pinion manufacturer's requirement is exponentially more important, as the pinion is spinning several thousand RPM's at highway speed and applies tons of force on the ring gear.

As far as gear oil weight, 140 is too much if you see temps below 40f. For example - in my Cummins, it is recommend to use 140 if you tow heavy consistently and the temps never go below 40f. But that is in a truck that can tow 15k lbs while weighing 9k lbs and has 4x the torque of an 80. I still run 75-90 in mine since I don't tow that heavy and I don't want to have to change gear oil twice a year.

Sounds like Mobil Delvac 75W-90 Gear Oil is the ticket. Thanks!

Thanks, I am learning a lot. I was just trying to follow locker manufacturer recommendations.

85W140 in mine, seems happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom