Small propane bottles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't mean to shanghai thread, but thanks for sharing the manifold idea. Never thought about it until you mentioned it. I usually just switch hoses. I looked at some on eBay and the price looks reasonable. Is yours something like this?

The comments say: "DO NOT Worry if you just connect one grill on the adapter , it will be no gas leakage from other two." Don't know how they prevent an open fitting from leaking, but maybe with your experience you can enlighten us.

Are you serious ? The extra ports have an internal pin that needs to be compressed when you screw on another hose , ( just like any tank has an internal check valve )

I've been refilling the non-refillable 1lbers for years with no issues. I buy the brass caps just in case a get a slow leaker. I haven't bought a new can in five or six years.
People throw them away or leave them at campgrounds. I refill them and use them all the time. I just refilled three today after a three day camp trip where i used one and found two empties , one left by a creek

I've been refilling the non-refillable 1lbers for years with no issues. I buy the brass caps just in case a get a slow leaker. I haven't bought a new can in five or six years.
People throw them away or leave them at campgrounds. I refill them and use them all the time. I just refilled three today after a three day camp trip where i used one and found two empties , one left by a creek
Not telling you (or anyone else) how to live your life, but you should probably watch this video. Not just because of your safety, but of others around you. As they also explain in the video, there's legal ramifications involved.

Reactions: CJK
I’m on team 5 lbs Propane Canister. I also don’t like the little 1 lbs cans rolling around and I always packed too many because I didn’t know how full they were.

$5/lb for canisters vs $0.80/lb for refills (assuming $4/gal) = $25 for canisters vs $4 in refill.

Assuming a fixed cost of $60 for the 5 lbs tank and $4 for refills, you’ll breakeven by 15 cans. Depending on how much you camp, that may be soon or long.

One perk of having that little dude around is that it’s a backup for my grill in case I run out of gas in the 20 lb tanks…which has happened a few times.

Not telling you (or anyone else) how to live your life, but you should probably watch this video. Not just because of your safety, but of others around you. As they also explain in the video, there's legal ramifications involved.

Glad you posted this…I’m all for saving money, but I don’t **** with explosive s*** to save $50 😆

Granted, I also always wear eye protection, use the guard on an angle grinder, and wear PPE when using a chainsaw.

Safety is cool 😎

sounds like the explosion was cause by " propane leaking from a 20lb cylinder which ignited from a pilot flame burning in a space heater"
nothing really to do with the 1 lb cans themselves other than she used the leaky 20 lber to fill small bottles. Any propane container can leak from it's valve, just as a household natural gas source can leak. Propane leaks are easy enough to smell and even on new bottles I store them with the brass caps with rubber O-ring seals.

Amazon product ASIN B09CGCQ98N

There are Karens everywhere, trying to save us from ourselves.

I’ve been in the refill camp for many, many years. Only had two bottles that leaked.

Legislative bans are almost always pounding square pegs in round holes: Forced changes will always meet with resistance. As Daniel Quinn posited, lasting changes are never made by force; lasting changes are made because something else comes along that is more efficient.

Efficiency comes in many forms. Cost is only one of them. Ever try to take a family of four camping in an FJ40? I have.

There are Karens everywhere, trying to save us from ourselves.

I’ve been in the refill camp for many, many years. Only had two bottles that leaked.

Legislative bans are almost always pounding square pegs in round holes: Forced changes will always meet with resistance. As Daniel Quinn posited, lasting changes are never made by force; lasting changes are made because something else comes along that is more efficient.

Efficiency comes in many forms. Cost is only one of them. Ever try to take a family of four camping in an FJ40? I have.
Remember the Blitz cans

Then again, I'm the guy that never wore a mask, got a vaccine, shut down my business, stopped travelling to go camping, avoided contact with others , masked or not
and went to stay with my 89 y/o mother to keep an eye on her when she did catch covid. She lost her sense of taste for a couple weeks so someone had to encourage her
to make food. At 105 lbs she couldn't afford to fast. She still wouldn't wear a mask after getting over it and in Az no one at the Safeway or Home depot is going to kick a
little old lady out for not wearing masks

I dont understand that if it can be filled once why not refill ? Are they saying the bottle can only handle 1 fill , thats BS, if it can be filled once it can be filled again and if you say some part is not safe to refill then I say it wasnt safe the first time either.

My post (#24) was to try and help. As I mentioned, I'm not trying to tell people how to live their lives. Just don't expect sympathy when disaster strikes because you've ignored reasonable warnings from multiple sources. As noted in the video, safety is one consideration. But the other aspect is the $ penalty that could be levied if enforced. Even with our wrecked economy, up to $.5 million possible fine is pretty good motivation for those with common sense.

Reactions: CJK
I dont understand that if it can be filled once why not refill ? Are they saying the bottle can only handle 1 fill , thats BS, if it can be filled once it can be filled again and if you say some part is not safe to refill then I say it wasnt safe the first time either.
from what I've gathered, it's not that they can only handle one fill...it's the repeated refill that causes issues. I can't validate that nor do I know where that threshold is, so I trust the DoT's tests. Same reason I don't transport gasoline in milk jugs strapped to the outside of my truck.

One thing to note, propane tanks are usually only filled to ~80% to leave space when the tank heats up (gas expands as temp rises). If you fill 1 lb tanks to the max, I don't believe they have overfill protection whereas the 5lb tanks do.

I'll leave it like @80t0ylc said...do as you please but at least be aware there is a risk.

I'll spend $53 for a decade of use out of a 5lb cylinder simply so that I don't have to spend time dicking around with filling, storing, and changing out 1 lbers as commonly. The $53 cylinder will have cost you about $5 a year to own if you get 10 years of use out of it.

My post (#24) was to try and help. As I mentioned, I'm not trying to tell people how to live their lives. Just don't expect sympathy when disaster strikes because you've ignored reasonable warnings from multiple sources. As noted in the video, safety is one consideration. But the other aspect is the $ penalty that could be levied if enforced. Even with our wrecked economy, up to $.5 million possible fine is pretty good motivation for those with common sense.
I don't blame people for trying to b careful, I just laugh at the media that does ridiculous reports that make no sense. They picked an incident to push a narrative
that filling 1 lb cans was dangerous then literally said the reason for the explosion was a leaky 20 lb cylinder. The 1 lb cans had nothing to do with the cause other
than the person didn't shut off the valve on her large bottle after filling a small bottle, perhaps. That can happen no matter what is attached to the propane tank.
You should always close the shutoff valve when the tank isn't in use. If I store any 1 lb can , since they don't have a shutoff valve, I always put a cap on the cans

It would be like doing a story on a man who put a spare tire with extremely worn tread on his left front then had a rear right blowout leading to a fatal crash
and using that example as why driving on bald tires is dangerous.

I don't blame people for trying to b careful, I just laugh at the media that does ridiculous reports that make no sense. They picked an incident to push a narrative
that filling 1 lb cans was dangerous then literally said the reason for the explosion was a leaky 20 lb cylinder. The 1 lb cans had nothing to do with the cause other
than the person didn't shut off the valve on her large bottle after filling a small bottle, perhaps. That can happen no matter what is attached to the propane tank.
You should always close the shutoff valve when the tank isn't in use. If I store any 1 lb can , since they don't have a shutoff valve, I always put a cap on the cans

It would be like doing a story on a man who put a spare tire with extremely worn tread on his left front then had a rear right blowout leading to a fatal crash
and using that example as why driving on bald tires is dangerous.
True, bad example. (I listened more carefully after your post) You ignore safety warnings on this, I probably ignore warnings on other things. Propane is just something I don't mess around with. Hopefully, we all avoid disaster.

True, bad example. (I listened more carefully after your post) You ignore safety warnings on this, I probably ignore warnings on other things. Propane is just something I don't mess around with. Hopefully, we all avoid disaster.
true, I ignore a lot of safety warnings. I'm 64 and it took 20 years after seat belts were mandated before I wore one other than off roading. I'm still a part time wearer.
I grew up going on 2500 mile road trips to grandma's hanging out in the back of a station wagon. Then again, a Land cruiser, of one type or another ,has always been
my primary transport so dying in a high speed accident is probably not going to happen. A 60 or 80 with a good set of bumpers makes the other car the crumple zone

Just a heads-up that you're not stuck with the bbq sized propane tanks. After years of carrying one around, and dealing with it's bulk, my current vehicle just doesn't have the room for one. We still need a propane tank though. Turns out that there are two options that are reasonably common if not well known. One is the same diameter and half as tall, the other is the same height and about half the diameter. Both hold roughly half what a bbq tank holds. After years of bringing a 1/2 to 2/3's full tank home from week long, multi-person trips that included using propane for light (I built my own mast that put the lantern about 7' high) I realized that one of these smaller tanks would work well for me. As it happens the same height, smaller diameter fit perfectly where I needed it to go. They have the standard propane tank valve so all of your hoses etc. will connect to them. Just a smaller metal tank.

i-dTLLPqM-M.jpg

I pretty much only use the disposable tanks with a propane torch. Would suck if KA eliminates that option as I'm not too excited to be refilling small tanks. Just another time suck that I don't need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom