New Toyo Open County AT3 experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have run several sets of AT II on my tundra with great success. 90k on both sets with some tread left. Lots of highway miles. Noise did not seem to be an issue but im sure if your real picky on noise it would probably seem louder than the street tires the truck came with. I just put a set of ATIII on my wife's new 2020 cruisers and she is very picky. Likes them better than the factory street treads. The cruiser though is very insulated. I do remember i put a set of ATII on a new trd 4 runner a few years ago and she did notice the noise just a bit at first.

About to order a set of tires for my build.

Are you still liking these?
How is the noise after the wearing?
Do I need to regear with the 285/75R17 tire that you have?

About to order a set of tires for my build.

Are you still liking these?
How is the noise after the wearing?
Do I need to regear with the 285/75R17 tire that you have?
Still liking them a lot so far. No updates to note other than I took a screw to one of the tread blocks but it wasn't long enough to cause any damage to the tire.

Noise is still very acceptable. Definitely not as loud as my previous set, but also not as quiet as an all season highway tire.

Regearing is up to you. Personally, I don't feel the need to regear yet because of my driving style. I tend to have a very light foot and don't go anywhere in a hurry most of the time. I find the power is still better than an old 3rd gen 4runner on 31s. Offroad in low range I can't even notice they are 34s for the type of wheeling I do. I don't do rock crawling where super low gears would be a great benefit, so stock works for me. If I happen to grenade my diff, I will certainly go lower though. Be warned though; there will be a significant difference in feel for you going from stock to 34. My transition was more incremental from stock>32>34. I noticed a bigger change from stock to 32s than 32s to 34.

Don't forget, to fit 34s, you need to hammer the pinch seem in the rear of the front wheel wells (under the black plastic) and do a body mount chop. It won't have to be as aggressive as what's needed for 35s obviously, and a lot will also depend on the wheels you use.

I’ve had my 315 Toyo AT3s on my 80 for a year/10k miles now. Truck is aligned well enough and mainly daily driven on pavement, tons of rain (southeast AK) and winter daily driven to the mountains often in harsh winter conditions. Out of about 16/32 measured when new, I’m at 15/32 all around, with even wear, etc.

Comfortable on road, haven’t noticed noise except for newly laid pavement in the rain at hwy speed once in a while, but that’s if I listen, meaning they aren’t loud to me. They’ve been perfect in those winter conditions, which mostly include sea level wet/ice/slush, some deep snow up the mountain, etc. A few other reviews (mainly one I found here) didn’t think much of them in winter, but I’m not getting that at all 🤷‍♂️ could be a difference of environment, as we are in the sloppy wet realm, while others could be in the dry/cold/rockies.

I had been looking between them and the cooper AT3 XLT, grabber ATX, and falken AT3W. Came close to falkens, but they had reportedly recently changed the compound, which left test results lacking in “weather” compared to before, but who knows.

Last edited:
Another winter on these. Recently swapped in new wheels and just checked tire pressure & tread wear. I’ve been rocking around 33 psi cold, about 35 warm. Just hit 15k miles on them and they’re barely shy of 15/32 on all 4, all-around. So, so far, perfectly even wear and only worn 1.5/32 (max) after 15k miles. Should get a long life out of them at this rate. Still super happy with them & still the tire I’d choose if I had to do it again, for my use.

I have always been a BFG fan. Ran many on Jeeps. But have read a lot about cracking. And they tend to run small in size. I have Toyo AT2 on my 460. I purchased it with them and they are at 8/32. They do pretty good in the PNW snow. I just put a set of Wildpeaks on my 470 and am extremely happy. I’m thinking Toyos on the 460 next year after the lift.

These look to be a pretty nice tire. I like that the P285/70R17 is the same weight as my current Wildpeak AT3W in P265/70R17 (46 lbs). I may get them when my Wildpeaks wear out in order to up-size to 285's while hopefully negating some of the acceleration/braking drawbacks of running a heavier tire.

Mine are still as quiet on road as when I got them. I have at least 15k miles on them so far, and they are down to ~12/32" from 16.5/32" new. Still plenty of tread left with no signs of cracking or anything yet.

The good variety in size/load range options was a big factor for me as well. I knew I didn't want heavier than necessary E load rated tires, and the size I wanted (285/75r17) is available in C or E load. Most other brands are only available in E load. 285/70 comes in everything from standard load up to E load.

We finally had a decent winter over here where I got to try them out in deeper snow making first tracks. Pictured below is part of a day out on the trails after we officially got 17" of snow. However, the wind changed that from anywhere between 9" to 2' with drifts in the more open areas of the woods. Aired down to 15 psi and I don't think it slipped at all except for some steep hill climbs. I am still very satisfied with this tire's performance on everything I've used it on so far.

20220129_143749.jpg

20220129_142755.jpg

Halfway through 50k warranty period update - they're all equally at 13-14 / 32nd out of the 16-17 they started with, wearing evenly, no performance change, no chips, etc. At this rate, I don't even expect to wear quite halfway through the tread depth by the time I hit 50k, at which point I'm probably getting a fresh pair regardless. Still don't think there's another tire (for my use) that I'd choose over them, although I'd have no issue going back to a KO2, or trying wildpeaks.

Last edited:
30k miles here on the C-rated 285/70r17 and they’ve been great with lots of tread depth left. Would recommend and potentially replace with same (though I’m tempted to try something different just for fun). No snow this winter but last winter had a decent 6” on the roads and performance was great. Very good still in rain. Excellent off-road. Compared to Falken I had before these are lighter (I cannot feel difference but nice to know), but otherwise performance is very similar. They look more aggressive with the sidewall and slightly chunkier tread pattern. Ride and noise are similar between the two (well insulated by GX 👍🏻) The sipes on these aren’t zig zag like the Falken’s but they are deep and perform equally IME. Anyone thinking about returning to KO2 had a different experience than me! I experienced poor rain handling on KO2 pretty much right out of the box and sold them after 10k miles I was so disappointed.
I did have a flat with toyo at III and even without certificates discount tire gave me a great pro rated replacement price. My flat was a freak accident where I ran over a pair of side cutters that were on the back side of a speed hump. Any tire would’ve been toast imo.

Got around 30k miles on a set of P rated 20's and I need new tires. The fronts are starting to cup and I'm showing a reading of .07 on the best tire. They haven't been rotated in a while but I'm really surprised at the wear on all 4 in such a short time.

Would switching to LT tires from a P tire get more miles out of the tire?

Ya I googled it🤓 I have no extra weight but I drive on unpaved roads a lot.
I need tires now and I’m leaning toward the LT Wildpeaks this time around.

Yes the LX.

FWIW, I'm currently at 35K on my SL/4-ply Wildpeaks (on a lighter GX470). Zero puncture-related flats. They get a lot of unpaved road and off-road use (aired down to 15-20 psi), in addition to towing our camper (aired up to 40-44 psi). They've gone through around 60% of their tread, so they are wearing consistent with the 55,000 mile treadwear warranty. I'll probably replace them at 45K anyway since the I like having a bit deeper tread for off-road use. We also have lots of very sharp chert and volcanic rocks around here which are hard on tires, but they don't seem to phase the Wildpeaks.

IMO the Wildepeak SL/4-ply tires do exceptionally well, despite my relatively hard use, and I see no need for C or E-rated versions, considering the extra rotating mass and reduction in performance/MPG. I'll be going with another set of 4-ply Wildpeaks next time as well.

Excellent. I’m reading where the LT tire handles the bumps a little harder but I guess that would be expected.

FWIW, I'm currently at 35K on my SL/4-ply Wildpeaks (on a lighter GX470). Zero puncture-related flats. They get a lot of unpaved road and off-road use (aired down to 15-20 psi), in addition to towing our camper (aired up to 40-44 psi). They've gone through around 60% of their tread, so they are wearing consistent with the 55,000 mile treadwear warranty. I'll probably replace them at 45K anyway since the I like having a bit deeper tread for off-road use. We also have lots of very sharp chert and volcanic rocks around here which are hard on tires, but they don't seem to phase the Wildpeaks.

IMO the Wildepeak SL/4-ply tires do exceptionally well, despite my relatively hard use, and I see no need for C or E-rated versions, considering the extra rotating mass and reduction in performance/MPG. I'll be going with another set of 4-ply Wildpeaks next time as well.

I swear nothing confuses me more than tire things. What does the SL/4-Ply translate to if I'm googling for a set of tires? Winter has been running long in the PNW but it's safe to say I'm no longer in need of the studded Nokians I'm rolling around on and would like to preserve them for the next 2 winters.

Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks for the tip regardless. E load 35s are woof on the MPG.

Last edited:
Hi, this thread is a great resource. Considering Toyo AT3's for my (new to me) GX470. Anybody run these on sand/beach?

I'm on road 99% of time but live next to beach so want to be able to drive in sand from time to time (without getting stuck). Will do very little non-beach offroading (rocks, trails, etc.) so that is not super important to me. All reviews said these AT3s are very good on sand but would love to hear real life experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom