Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of the stated goals in putting this old rig back on the road is to learn more about the FJ40 and to improve my mechanic skills.

I dreaded restabbing this tranny so put it off for a week.

Tonight, in less than one hour, I got it back in, using an engine hoist from above and a car jack under the transaxle to keep it level. On my own.

Pretty frickin stoked right now and I am officially no longer afraid of this job.

IMG_20230501_190923009.jpg

IMG_20230501_200303261.jpg

Last edited:
One of the states goals in putting this old rig back on the road is to learn more about the FJ40 and to improve my mechanic skills.

I dreaded restabbing this tranny so put it off for a week.

Tonight, in less than one hour, I got it back in, using an engine hoist from above and a car jack under the transaxle to keep it level. On my own.

Pretty frickin stoked right now and I am officially no longer afraid of this job.

View attachment 3312460

View attachment 3312462
You forgot to mention the axe. 😂 Nice job!

Great work, man! Sorry I haven't been around to help in a while, I've been working a lot of overtime lately and scrambling to get my junk back on the road in hopes of driving it to Colorado next month.
At this point there is zero chance of getting everything done in time, so I'm just going to ride my motorcycle out there again...

And the answer is...... (Drumroll...) Improper adjustment of the clutch led to pressure plate finger clatter.

Never dealt with finger pressure plate so didn't understand how important it is to get clutch throw rod adjustment just right.

This thing is a hoot. And so ugly it's pretty.

IMG_20230508_155214802.jpg

IMG_20230508_155223603.jpg

IMG_20230508_155235344.jpg

And the answer is...... (Drumroll...) Improper adjustment of the clutch led to pressure plate finger clatter.

Never dealt with finger pressure plate so didn't understand how important it is to get clutch throw rod adjustment just right.

This thing is a hoot. And so ugly it's pretty.

View attachment 3317998

View attachment 3317999

View attachment 3318000
Glad you got it sorted, man! How do you like that engine? It was very smooth and powerful in my 60, I bet it's badass in that little thing!

Glad you got it sorted, man! How do you like that engine? It was very smooth and powerful in my 60, I bet it's badass in that little thing!
First, the Weber carb with electric choke is the best carb I've ever dealt with.

Second, this rig has granny gears, so it's never going to be fast, but it is more peppy than expected.

I am well pleased with the set up, 3 on the tree and all. I think you might have something when you suggested it has been warmed over by a PO.

Looks good next to that pig!

Got to see this little guy for the first time

IMG_20230510_173446336.jpg

My headlights would come on only in the marker light position, and would go off in the headlight position. Did some work with a multimeter and determined the position of the power was one plug position off.

Now I have brights but my low beams only work occasionally. I've tracked the issue to the dimmer switch and need to address that next.

i know this seller EKooke

this IS a LEGIT REAL Tokairika GENUINE TOYOTA Floor Dimmer , :)

he IS a honest seller too , from my experience ........... 🍀

s-l1600.jpg

I drilled a hole in the dimmer switch body, sprayed in some contact cleaner and slowly got both bright and low beams working.

Just as I was ready to call it a win a "snap" sound came out of the dimmer switch and now it won't work at all.

Went ahead and took @ToyotaMatt advice and ordered a NOS unit from this guy. Should have it from Indonesia in a couple weeks.

It was worth a shot trying to get it to work.

I drilled a hole in the dimmer switch body, sprayed in some contact cleaner and slowly got both bright and low beams working.

Just as I was ready to call it a win a "snap" sound came out of the dimmer switch and now it won't work at all.

Went ahead and took @ToyotaMatt advice and ordered a NOS unit from this guy. Should have it from Indonesia in a couple weeks.

It was worth a shot trying to get it to work.

if your in need of a NOS Screw-on speedo head cable

i aquired a pile of JAPAN ones

longer then the J30 3 speed one too , so H42 and H55F long

this is GOOD ...

if your in need of a NOS Screw-on speedo head cable

i aquired a pile of JAPAN ones

longer then the J30 3 speed one too , so H42 and H55F long

this is GOOD ...
For some unexplainable reason, my speedo cable works great.

But I will definitely keep you in mind if mine craps the bed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom