Anybody else missing roof trim? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for the not-great photo, but 2021 HE is missing the rear-center rubber gutter trim. It either blew out or was never there at all.

Toyota brand engagement wants me to get it “inspected” at the dealer to get it replaced. 🙄

IMG_1881.jpeg

Happens a lot from touchless car washes..

The missing part is mostly rubber with a metal rib molded into the center.. if the installing tech isn’t careful to clean the groove well and keep the rib straight the replacement will get lost too.

It has been discussed a bit on this board.. some opt to put a little adhesive on the bottom before install. I haven’t found it necessary in the 80k miles since I got my rig.. though three were missing and had to be replaced when I did get it.

I've replaced no less than 3 of them in my two years of ownership in a '21 HE. I've got spares on deck FWIW too after the second time. I ended up using some E6800 on the edges under the mounting boots of the crossbars (don't get that stuff on your paint). Since I added adhesive they are a bit more difficult to lose.

Handwashing only for me too (ZERO commercial car washes), but with 39k on the ODO, this was annoying to have to spend money on such a stupid piece of equipment. Mine likely come off on the interstate.

EDIT: 7555560020 is the part number for the trim piece you're missing I believe.

Last edited:
What @bloc said. I had a few literally fly off in front of me during a touchless car wash session. Last time I did one of those.

What @bloc said. I had a few literally fly off in front of me during a touchless car wash session. Last time I did one of those.
I have seen mine dance around/come off (before adhesive) when drying the car with a blower. Not something that I trust to stay in position with tension alone - regardless of orientation/installation.

I've replaced no less than 3 of them in my two years of ownership in a '21 HE. I've got spares on deck FWIW too after the second time. I ended up using some E6....800? on the edges under the mounting boots of the crossbars. Since I added adhesive they are a bit more difficult to lose.

Handwashing only for me too (ZERO commercial car washes), but with 39k on the ODO, this was annoying to have to spend money on such a stupid piece of equipment. Mine likely come off on the interstate.

EDIT: 7555560020 is the part number for the trim piece you're missing I believe.
Thank you for the part number, was about to ask.

I’ll add that if you choose to use adhesive, you may want to make sure you can remove to inspect for debris that can accumulate and trap moisture beneath.

I just checked my LC, mine are missing as well, but only the driver's (left) side. looks like it's just for decoration?

Last week, I had the dealer replace the two center driver's side on my LC. I argued with them for a year to get the two trim pieces ordered. Then, when the parts finally came in, the service manager tried to trick me in saying that I had put the LC through a car wash. It has never been through a car wash and I told them all, the manager and service writer that. On the bill, it was written that the trim had been "possibly" ripped out by a car wash and that Toyota was going to replace them this time only for "customer good will". When the service writer tried to tell me this again, when he handed me the key fob, I let him know that this was a Toyota problem, it happened on my Tundra and if it happens again, it will be replaced on Toyota's dime. He tried to repeat his line and I walked away. Anywho, I glued them down with a marine silicone adhesive. In the process, I think I discovered why the driver's side strips came out. There is a plastic clip thing that the ends of the trim strips would not fit in tightly as on the passenger's side. I again used silicone adhesive to secure them.

I just checked my LC, mine are missing as well, but only the driver's (left) side. looks like it's just for decoration?
The gutters let rain drain from the roof to the front and back and not onto your head. The rubber piece helps the gutters not fill with crud.

That area is where the side panels are welded to the roof, then they put sealant over that and paint on top of that. This is an area you want to protect from UV, and that is one function of the rubber trim.

If you do use adhesive you only need one dab in the center of the trim. He ends are held down firmly by the rack feet and the small plastic insert that comes off the additional clip.

Yep, had three sections missing from ours not too long ago. Replaced them all and it has been fine since but I am checking on them occasionally.

I prob have 3 of the 8 trims left. Perhaps better without them anyways as the gutters work as better hand grabs. I've not noticed any diff with or without them over the years.

My LX is my beater and it works great in that role. Happily take it through the Costco brushed car wash...evens out all the pinstriping.

Just had one delivered for $30. From Prestige Lexus of Ramsey. It was on sale but they have good pricing.

I would think if you don't mind washing the roof and keeping the gutters clean.. you're better off without them.
They channel the rain better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom