OME steering stabilizer installation guide needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I just got this part and my mechanic told me it was NOT a direct bolt on, can anyone give me a little advice how you installed it?

thanks

Vincent

part#OMESD24​

Hi, I just got this part and my mechanic told me it was NOT a direct bolt on, can anyone give me a little advice how you installed it?

thanks

Vincent

part#OMESD24​

He’s wrong. The old one unbolts and the new one bolts right in. Unless you got a mispackaged unit that is not in fact the part number you’re in need of. It’s two bolts. Super easy. You can do it yourself in five minutes.

This is assuming you’re in an fj60-62?

The shocks need the bushings pressed in. The stabilizer should come with bushings pre installed. The pin may need to be replaced. It comes with a new one.

He’s wrong. The old one unbolts and the new one bolts right in. Unless you got a mispackaged unit that is not in fact the part number you’re in need of. It’s two bolts. Super easy. You can do it yourself in five minutes.
the guy is my long time old school mechanic. He fixes my old jaguar with a lot more complicated problems and I went to his shop this morning and he showed me. so I have no problem to trust him on that, if it was just bolt on. he will be more than capable doing that . I expected to be a direly bolt on also.

the package came with bolt on just one side when the online phone shows it should comes with bolts on both ends

what am I missing here?

again , mine is a 1988 FJ62

thanks in advance

20220208_114033.jpg

Here is mine installed. You may have the wrong unit or maybe you’re missing hardware? This is an 87 fj60 fwiw. Should be the same as the 62.
29DD8A6A-160B-4758-98F0-C60F625E0748.jpeg
E436C460-57E1-4EF9-89E7-BA8816756273.jpeg

Here is mine installed. You may have the wrong unit or maybe you’re missing hardware? This is an 87 fj60 fwiw. Should be the same as the 62.View attachment 2918410View attachment 2918423
Thanks. That's also weird mine didn't have any branding lettering on it.

Did you re use the original bolt pins or you use what OME supplies us? It is too big to fit in

I hope some one can confirm my question on a FJ62

Mine came with a sticker I put on there. Maybe there’s a difference between the 60 and 62? I wasn’t aware of any. I bet you could reuse the old hardware. But it may not fit the bushings. I’m sure someone else will chime in. Or you could call cruiseroutfitters and they’ll tell you what is what.

if it was just bolt on. he will be more than capable doing that
Or you could call cruiseroutfitters and they’ll tell you what is what.

So is it just the fact that its missing a bolt on one side that this isn't working OP? What about it doesn't fit exactly? Is it too short or something, too long, the pin doesn't fit?

Any chance you have the pin in backwards somehow? Maybe spin it around where the tapered bit in your photo goes towards the damper bushing and not the TRE side like you have in your photo. I don't recall there being a tapered hole like that on the TRE side. If you look at @cps432's photo, the pin body should sit flat against the TRE. The tapered bit you have with the way that pin is arranged wouldn't allow that. Its been years since I did this on mine so I don't now recall the specifics, but it was literally the simplest thing I have done on my cruiser to date.

Mine from CruiserOutfitters came with all the hardware needed to bolt it on. My guess this is likely something to do with purchasing it on Ebay. That place is a wild west show for parts. For me this was completely bolt in application. Calling CO as @cps432 suggests would likely get you set straight away. I would get with that seller and get them to fix it for you. HTH.

Here is my OME SD24. Got it for free, I literally just loosened the circled bolts displayed in this image. Took off the old steering stabilizer and the OME one just slipped right on, I haven’t noticed any issues other than some weird clunking that I’m pretty sure is from my OME lift.

1ACC8058-64AA-4C0B-998F-D141B66B27AB.jpeg

Unfortunately it looks like you are short parts (SD24 will come with hardware for both sides of the damper) and it may be a previously installed damper to boot? Looks greasy in the pics.

@vincent661983 while we can't get you a free hardware kit as the damper didn't come from Cruiser Outfitters. We have the hardware fit kits and can ship as soon as today, part# 142995, buzz our parts team to order: 801-563-1277 info@cruiseroutfitters.com

I just installed omesd23 on my AUS HJ47. but it didnt fit as well.. does the pin sit concentric with the rubber bushing? Mine is off axis and I can't get the pin to fully seat inside the bracket holes.

I just installed omesd23 on my AUS HJ47. but it didnt fit as well.. does the pin sit concentric with the rubber bushing? Mine is off axis and I can't get the pin to fully seat inside the bracket holes.

The pin is not designed to seat fully into the drag-link end or frame mount, a gap is absolutely normal. Simply torque to spec

1682964474302.png

Sorry to hijack this a bit. Hoping for some insight.

I recently replaced all my FJ62 steering linkage with a kit from @cruiseroutfit, at the same time I finally installed my OME steering stabilizer that I've had in the box for two years from @cruiseroutfit

I noticed that the drag link interferes with the stabilizer if the passenger wheel is raised. It hits on the body of the shock and the back nut. Did I somehow mess this up?

With the wheels flat on the ground:
PXL_20230505_003811687.jpg

With the passenger wheel side jacked up about 6":

PXL_20230505_002805028.jpg

The driver side is also hitting the frame:

PXL_20230505_011250251.jpg

Detail of gap in the frame side pin. This is with the nut torqued down hard.

PXL_20230505_004127561.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom