What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (72 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, Wes. Planted brackets W/ Recaro sliders. Dan and crew at 425motorsports are awesome guys!
These are Recaro Orthoped: so comfortable yet sporty.
This set is actually from Germany, so real leather.
To me these are way more comfortable than Scheels. These are firm yet supportive; i’ve ran both I prefer these in all ways. These are similar to the Scheels in the sense that they're squared off and look more period-correct. The armrest and map pocket on the Scheels are cool, though.
I've seen Recaro sport lines in 80s: they're very comfortable, but look more appropriate in an Audi S4.
I'm definitely not setting a new trend, but I do get heckled a lot by my buddies; they call it a Dean truck. Dork alert (me) ⚠️
Where did you buy these seats from? And do you know if they come in brown/tan? I’m only seeing grey.

It’s been sitting on the shelf for a while.
IMG_1610.jpeg

Where did you buy these seats from? And do you know if they come in brown/tan? I’m only seeing grey.
Howdy Ikarus. Call Dan @425Motorsports in Seattle; He's awesome. They are a long time Recaro dealer and you can custom order a set they make the Planted brackets also. I have a friend in Germany that refurbished this set. They can't resell cars with aftermarket seats in Germany, so he refurbishes and sells them. They are like new and are made with Recaro materials and better quality leather.

Took my cruiser out on its first camping trip this weekend. I bought this thing about 6 months ago and after some maintenance on it, I'm finally starting to enjoy it.

Didn't feel comfortable going out too far, previous owner put "the cheapest 35's I could find" on and I don't have a spare tire yet. I still have a ton of work to do on this thing, but I needed to get it in the woods.

PO put OME J springs front and rear, and don't have any aftermarket weight installed so it's rattling our fillings out at the moment. So other than the extremely stiff ride, I'm really looking forwards to getting this thing dialed in. My wife is slowly warming up to it. My previous adventure vehicle was a V8 4th gen 4Runner and she loved it more than I did honestly. She's not a fan of 10.4 MPG and the "slow and steady" mindset.

Next up is more preventative maintenance, softer springs, and name brand 35 inch all terrains. (Fingers crossed tire prices go down soon)

IMG_4319.jpeg

IMG_4323 copy.jpg

IMG_4332 copy.jpg

Took my cruiser out on its first camping trip this weekend. I bought this thing about 6 months ago and after some maintenance on it, I'm finally starting to enjoy it.

Didn't feel comfortable going out too far, previous owner put "the cheapest 35's I could find" on and I don't have a spare tire yet. I still have a ton of work to do on this thing, but I needed to get it in the woods.

PO put OME J springs front and rear, and don't have any aftermarket weight installed so it's rattling our fillings out at the moment. So other than the extremely stiff ride, I'm really looking forwards to getting this thing dialed in. My wife is slowly warming up to it. My previous adventure vehicle was a V8 4th gen 4Runner and she loved it more than I did honestly. She's not a fan of 10.4 MPG and the "slow and steady" mindset.

Next up is more preventative maintenance, softer springs, and name brand 35 inch all terrains. (Fingers crossed tire prices go down soon)

View attachment 3311749

View attachment 3311750

View attachment 3311751

View attachment 3311749

View attachment 3311750

View attachment 3311751

If you didn’t already, try lowering tire pressure when you hit the trails. Makes a big difference on the teeth rattle. Enjoy.

View attachment 3311749

View attachment 3311750

View attachment 3311751
You really have to load the truck down with stuff, but then those J's are downright cushy. But yeah, otherwise like riding a buckboard!

You really have to load the truck down with stuff, but then those J's are downright cushy. But yeah, otherwise like riding a buckboard!
For sure, it felt better when we drove into the campsite fully loaded. Dropped the camper off and half the gear to do a little exploring and that’s when I really noticed the harsh ride. Not equipped to air up and down in a timely fashion right now.

You can tell from the pictures I don’t have a winch, bumper, dual batteries, anything extra up front. Not really sure I want to even go that route.

I have a feeling I’m going to go down to OME mediums or non J heavy setup. In person it’s currently giving off some serious monster truck vibes. Not really my thing.

For sure, it felt better when we drove into the campsite fully loaded. Dropped the camper off and half the gear to do a little exploring and that’s when I really noticed the harsh ride. Not equipped to air up and down in a timely fashion right now.

You can tell from the pictures I don’t have a winch, bumper, dual batteries, anything extra up front. Not really sure I want to even go that route.

I have a feeling I’m going to go down to OME mediums or non J heavy setup. In person it’s currently giving off some serious monster truck vibes. Not really my thing.
The Dobinson's VVTs ride nicely both loaded and unloaded, but be careful what size you order. They net a lot more lift than advertised. My 3.5" fronts netted about 5".

View attachment 3311749

View attachment 3311750

View attachment 3311751

If the current state of things aren't suitable for you, might I suggest you go to 285 75 16 tire size and OME springs that simply lifts one or less than two inches for vehicle with no additional weight up front or rear? Since you tow, I highly recommend installing a set of Airlift 1000 airbags inside the rear coils. It makes towing a trailer way more pleasant on the weekends, and a normal ride on the weekdays when you air them back down to the min pressure, which I think is 5psi. This is what I do in the 4runner and in the 80, when it did tow duty.

By keeping your 80 lower, lighter (minus armor/winch/etc) and somewhat nimble (for an 80 :rofl: ), your mpg will be better and a tiny bit better accel/stopping. I'm assuming you have 35s and stock 4.10 gear ratio. This might make the wife happier as well.

Just my .02 cents worth.

If the current state of things aren't suitable for you, might I suggest you go to 285 75 16 tire size and OME springs that simply lifts one or less than two inches for vehicle with no additional weight up front or rear? Since you tow, I highly recommend installing a set of Airlift 1000 airbags inside the rear coils. It makes towing a trailer way more pleasant on the weekends, and a normal ride on the weekdays when you air them back down to the min pressure, which I think is 5psi. This is what I do in the 4runner and in the 80, when it did tow duty.

By keeping your 80 lower, lighter (minus armor/winch/etc) and somewhat nimble (for an 80 :rofl: ), your mpg will be better and a tiny bit better accel/stopping. I'm assuming you have 35s and stock 4.10 gear ratio. This might make the wife happier as well.

Just my .02 cents worth.
I've gone back and fourth so many times on 285's vs 315's. My brain says 285's but man 315's look so good. Our camper is only about 1500 pounds, the 80 towed it surprisingly well! I didn't ever really notice it behind me. With it "loaded down" the cruiser finally leveled out and looked great. Unloaded J springs give some serious rake haha

Thanks for all the input from everyone here. This forum is priceless for 80 ownership!

Last edited:

Looking good amigo. I went a similar route after the turbo went in, mainly for less back pressure. As we all know, Less back pressure = less muffling = mucho drone :bang: So, I ended up installing a J pipe resonator to cancel out that annoying frequency on the hwy. I still need to add another J pipe resonator (similar to a Hemholtz resonator) for the drone at lower RPM,while tooling around in the city.

There's many other great options out there now. The air-up/down ability to smooth out the ride a bit is a huge help.

I've gone back and fourth so many times on 285's vs 315's. My brain says 285's but man 315's look so good. Our camper is only about 1500 pounds, the 80 towed it surprisingly well! I didn't ever really notice it behind me. With it "loaded down" the cruiser finally leveled out and looked great. Unloaded J springs give some serious rake haha

Thanks for all the input from everyone here. This forum is priceless for 80 ownership!
I've had the same internal argument, going on 10 years now. :lol: I guess i'm keeping it that way. More modern springs and shock options are definitely something to look into.

I have the rest of the 1fz to play with.

Cyl #6 head gasket victim. It sat for several years after that so it’s hard to say what is salvageable. Head is being rebuilt by myself. As for the block🤷‍♂️.

A2DDC64A-D3C5-4562-B67B-FB5C24EF897E.jpeg

662CB558-6024-44AC-89A1-B54E9F2A520E.jpeg

441E2E0F-C96F-444B-917D-B6B2204F25D3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom