"The great 1HZ Smoke show": (losing fuel pressure overnight?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No air bubbles this morning! First time having a full line in the morning since I put the clear line in!

This one may be solved? Thanks for all your input as I worked through this. Really appreciate it. I'll crawl back under my build thread again now and continue to document OLBETSY and all her quirks.

That's great! After reading about the struggles both you and @Rigster have had I am realizing that I probably have a similar problem with air in the fuel lines. Even with new glow plugs, a fresh battery and a bigger starter the little TDI still struggles to start after sitting for more than about 6 hours, and puffs big clouds of white/grey smoke. Do you have a recommendation for clear fuel line? I haven't found a good source for diesel rated 8mm stuff.

That's great! After reading about the struggles both you and @Rigster have had I am realizing that I probably have a similar problem with air in the fuel lines. Even with new glow plugs, a fresh battery and a bigger starter the little TDI still struggles to start after sitting for more than about 6 hours, and puffs big clouds of white/grey smoke. Do you have a recommendation for clear fuel line? I haven't found a good source for diesel rated 8mm stuff.

I have to admit. Mine is straight from the plumbing section of home Depot. 😂😂.
PXL_20230408_112003049.jpg

I carry the real thing with me just in case. I view it as temporary and keep an eye on it. This time of year underhood temps are fine but in the height of summer it'd be a liability I think?

if youre just using the clear line for diagnosis i doesnt matter what it is (short term usage)

Yep, that is all I used. I didn't even drive mine with it on, but again, short term use? Just fine. Eventually, the fuel will eat away at it over time.

Sounds like you may have similar issues indeed! At least you have a lot of experience to draw upon in your troubleshooting

After replacing every fuel line, clamp and filter on my rig twice and still getting a still not completely solving the air problems I installed this handy in line frame mounted lift pump. No more air in the fuel lines.

image.jpg

After replacing every fuel line, clamp and filter on my rig twice and still getting a still not completely solving the air problems I installed this handy in line frame mounted lift pump. No more air in the fuel lines.

View attachment 3294603
I did the same thing (along with adding a second fuel filter) a while back. 😊
The pump probably wasn’t necessary but was added out of precaution because of the smaller micron 2nd filter.

Last edited:

View attachment 3294603
Nice one.

What is the bypass line above it for?

Put a block heater on that engine, diesels love block heaters. 👍 I have them on all four of my diesel vehicles, the ones on my VWs keep the temps at 140 F and the ones on Dodge and BJ70 about 120 F. I go out when it is minus 25 C and they start like it is summer. Plus five minutes after I start one that I am going to use the cabin is warm.😁

Just to update, in case you're not suffering through my long and rambling old Betsy build thread..

I dropped the fuel tank (I'm making it sound easy but in reality it was anything but) and replaced the fuel pickup tube which sees metal lines coming out of the tank. They were rusty at the bend and I'm reasonably sure that is where the air was entering. I also took the opportunity to clean and POR15 the tank and the skid plate, and replace all of the other rubber lines, as well as cleaning up and painting the fill tube assembly.

I have now had every day this week of smooth idling almost immediately after a very fast 3/4 turn start, and NO SMOKE SHOW! My neighbor must think I haven't been going to work? LOL. I should add that ambient temps were somewhere around five degrees Celsius and my first start of the day sees a double glow and lasting about 8 seconds.

In response to a previous post here, I do have a lower rad hose heater, and when this is plugged in it obviously makes a huge difference. A block heater would be preferable of course but I haven't gotten definitive answers on which frost plug to use and the clock orientation of the element yet. If anyone can shed some light on this for a 1hz, I'm all ears. (Or is it all earmuffs? LOL)

Here's the relevant section of thread where I drop the tank, if anyone feels the need for self torture. 🤣

I would say as to the orientation, which ever way it would fit.
Have you checked the Katz website for application? If they have one listed for the HZ it might tell you were to install
I've checked Katz, Philips/temro/zerostart... No listing for 1hz. I've narrowed it down to the diameter... Supposedly 35mm, so it
shouldn't be hard to find, but which frost plug. I'm gonna say it's under the manifold. That's where they always seem to wind up. 🤣

I've checked Katz, Philips/temro/zerostart... No listing for 1hz. I've narrowed it down to the diameter... Supposedly 35mm, so it
shouldn't be hard to find, but which frost plug. I'm gonna say it's under the manifold. That's where they always seem to wind up. 🤣

All freeze plugs along the block on either side of a 1HZ are 35mm.

Convection heater!
Plumbs via the block drain with the included 5/8" adapter.
Mount the heater with the included kit, using the included "Y" to tap into the heater hose to firewall.
This install can be completed so easily by using a deep 14mm socket to remove the block drain.
Only thing better would be an Espar or Webasto.

Wait for webasto heaters to go on sale and then plumb in one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom