ROTM- klinetime574 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got out in the garage again today. My next mod is relocating the Sniper coolant temperature sensor to my thermostat housing. I don’t like the block drain location. It was a huge PITA getting it installed there originally because of my headers. Holley instructions say intake manifold or cylinder head. Also the NPT sensor in a BSPT hole stressed me out.

I sourced an adapter from McMaster. Part # 4860K143

89E516FA-85C4-449C-8F8D-525BC0CD5A9E.jpeg
210D581B-1253-4FC2-96C1-70BAFDC02C48.jpeg
7F89462A-724B-4CF9-B26E-8FC17BEB3670.jpeg
BBE89E6B-7C9F-46EA-BD8E-BD8997339AD3.jpeg

I’m kinda concerned the sensor is too far away and may have limited coolant flow (see second picture above). It almost looks like it seals itself off, but there is a small gap. I realize this isn’t ideal and would be better off directly in the thermostat housing, but it can’t be worse than the block drain hole. Wire from Sniper is just long enough. I’ll monitor to make sure I don’t melt it from the header. Need to get more coolant and then I can bleed it and drive it. We shall see if it makes a difference.

By the way if you need a weekend project do this.
DA394DDA-6283-4542-9E23-32AF37880A79.jpeg

Extendo drain cuz! So glad I did this when I installed this radiator. Works flawlessly. Got about 3 gallons out that way and then another gallon (if I had to guess, ended up on the floor) out of the block drain hole.

That’s all for now. Ask questions about anything.

As expected the mod made no difference at all. I filled it with coolant and then it leaked. Pulled all of them back out, cleaned the threads, applied (more) Permatex high temp thread sealant. Fixed. Highest I saw the temperature get to on the Sniper screen was 170. Test drove and she still rips.
E32BFA84-D6A2-4B7E-8EC7-789CA32829CF.jpeg

FABB8982-1BB8-4C7E-B0C9-9C6F65793D28.jpeg

I need to clean this thing up (and my garage floor).

:beer:

@klinetime574 FYI Toyota makes an engine block coolant drain with a little piece you can stick a hose on. Instead of unscrewing the plug and the coolant coming straight out, you unscrew a plug and the coolant comes out a short pipe at a 90* angle. Just stick the housing in so the 90* pipe faces down and you get easy access to put some aquarium tubing on it.

Anyway, nice work as always.

@klinetime574 FYI Toyota makes an engine block coolant drain with a little piece you can stick a hose on. Instead of unscrewing the plug and the coolant coming straight out, you unscrew a plug and the coolant comes out a short pipe at a 90* angle. Just stick the housing in so the 90* pipe faces down and you get easy access to put some aquarium tubing on it.

Anyway, nice work as always.
Yeah I saw that block drain alternate part recently. I have an extension tube on my radiator so that’s nice. Maybe if I ever feel like unscrewing that block drain again I’ll have that substitute part on hand lol. Thanks for the kind words!

Small stuff. But I might as well post it. Finally got my license plate lens gaskets put on. I sourced some new screws from Ace Hardware. I was missing an original and I wanted them all to match. They were metric, M4-0.7 I think.
BA4DDF70-7A94-4863-B6CA-62FEA40CF1B2.jpeg

5887F51E-78B9-4250-AA38-2CFB62810ABA.jpeg

Got my grill and headlight surrounds swapped out with a used set I’ve had for MANY years in a box. It didn’t fit the same. Grill is aftermarket, doors look OG. It’s okay, but I’ll fix my old one and paint it someday.
140F03AF-F92B-4715-8119-F2FCCFCF4183.jpeg

I dropped a grill screw in the winch so I had to pull some rope out. Now I need to find somewhere I can wind it back up lol

Then tonight I felt like taking a gas bath so I changed my pre-pump fuel filter (Sniper setup). I pulled the old filter apart. Two years old and looked fine. I have some issues with cold starts that I need to look into more and figured it wouldn’t hurt to change this.
9774A442-87E0-47AD-868B-11B13ED876E7.jpeg

38737577-FC18-40CD-8F79-D63D74158BA1.jpeg

I pulled the pleats apart and didn’t see anything noteworthy.

Maybe I’ll drive it to work tomorrow!

Drove it all week except for one night/morning (test drove a customer car). Needed to get oil and filter for the wife’s 2019 RAV-4 so I got oil for the Cruiser. It’s supposed to be hot enough so I’m gonna try this out. Valvoline VR1 20W-50 with a 90915-YZZD3. Dorman 097-130 drain plug gasket.
1463B7A7-5788-4671-B568-0FD3805BB0DF.jpeg

My drain plug was leaking pretty good (reused the gasket last time) so it prompted an early oil change. Between that and my 2F overall I only drained out a 5 quart jug almost to the top. Whoops. Only had about 1,500 miles on it and I added a half quart at one point. The drain plug was leaking pretty good. It would leave a small plate sized spot over the course of 8 hours. I fixed that now. So we’re good. Right?

Here is a Rock Auto Discount Code for anyone who needs one. Expires August 18, 2023.

:beer:

Got out in the garage again today. My next mod is relocating the Sniper coolant temperature sensor to my thermostat housing. I don’t like the block drain location. It was a huge PITA getting it installed there originally because of my headers. Holley instructions say intake manifold or cylinder head. Also the NPT sensor in a BSPT hole stressed me out.

I sourced an adapter from McMaster. Part # 4860K143

View attachment 3305720View attachment 3305719View attachment 3305721View attachment 3305722
I’m kinda concerned the sensor is too far away and may have limited coolant flow (see second picture above). It almost looks like it seals itself off, but there is a small gap. I realize this isn’t ideal and would be better off directly in the thermostat housing, but it can’t be worse than the block drain hole. Wire from Sniper is just long enough. I’ll monitor to make sure I don’t melt it from the header. Need to get more coolant and then I can bleed it and drive it. We shall see if it makes a difference.

By the way if you need a weekend project do this.
View attachment 3305723
Extendo drain cuz! So glad I did this when I installed this radiator. Works flawlessly. Got about 3 gallons out that way and then another gallon (if I had to guess, ended up on the floor) out of the block drain hole.

That’s all for now. Ask questions about anything.
Curious about this extend drain thing..... is this from your radiator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom