Reviving a FJ62 with a 12HT (Blondie) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CenTXFJ60

SILVER Star
Threads
I like to create a thread for each cruiser I do any type of resurrection with. Main reason for this is to document my work and allow for others to provide feedback etc which is invaluable as I continue to learn more about these rigs. There’s another thread my buddy @CaptClose created years ago called “what the hells going on in Jimmy’s barn” which is primarily activities or smaller jobs I do for other folks.

It’s a long story on how I ended up with this 62. I talk a bit about it in the below video. It was a one owner truck purchased and lived most of its life in Los Angeles. Danny was the owner and took incredible care of this as it was his baby. When I met him it was obvious why he took such good care of this truck. In the short time I spent with him I knew he was a perfectionist and cared a lot for his minimal belongings. Anytime something wore out he never cut corners. He did not work on it personally, but paid to have all the right people touch it. Went to Manafre in 2012 when the tired 3FE had 300k miles and drove out with a 12HT/H55. Later had J with Trail Tailer load up all the bolt-ons. Somewhere in recent years he had an ARB locker installed as well as a Dobinsons suspension kit. The seats are from Icon. And Danny had them harvest enough material from his original seats integrating it into the center area. I have no idea what kind of seats they are.

At 400k miles the 12HT left him stranded after moving to DFW. This was where things changed as he went to the wrong shop. He was taken to the cleaners and lost the desire to keep her any longer. I have several other jobs at the moment so will most likely be a while before I get her back on the road. @BigHighBlue helped me pull the motor earlier this week.

IMG_6063.jpeg

IMG_6061.jpeg

IMG_6060.jpeg

IMG_6058.png

69049454658__010E2FF1-5BF3-40A2-BE5E-2DF73EE694DD.jpeg

IMG_0233.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot to add these pics from last week. Ben @BigHighBlue came over for a little R&R. So asked what he wanted to do for these few days and his response was “ want to see the 12HT come out the white truck”. So thought I’d share some pics of him in action. He was a huge help and did most the demo work on his own. And yes, that’s Ben giving the traditional Casey Archer @POTATO LAUNCHER salute when I snapped a pic over my shoulder :).

IMG_0359.png

IMG_0262.jpeg

IMG_0257.jpeg

That's the Mud Salute Jimmy. I can't take credit for it.
The "Yeep" guys are busy handing out rubber duckys and we have had the Bird for years. Much simpler process. 🖕

Been working on the new motor going in this truck. Was a long Block (rebuilt) when Ben and I picked it up in DC. Pulled the oil pan due to finding 4 piston oilers in a nut/bolt separater. All checked out but no idea why there’s 4 left over. The rest of the bolt on’s are there in totes so I’ve been cleaning/painting things. Believe this motor came from the NE originally so some items are a bit crusty. Will use the alternator, starter and turbo from the old motor. Was my first time installing an injection pump. Due to the PO turning the motor periodically to keep it lubed I had to get all the gears aligned. Pulled the idler gears (removing #1 gave me the room to slide the pump in) and reset the crank gear and the cam. Then reinstalled the idler gears and meshed the pump timing gear. Basically did everything backwards to the FSM. Just did not want to pull the CAM. Finished installing the injectors today. Bolting up the manifold and turbo I’d be able to fire it up on a pallet. However i discovered the rear of the motor is missing the freeze plug-in the cam. Have one on order thanks to @roma042987 bailing me out with a part #. Hope to install a new EGT probe next but need to verify exact location. The target area is pre-turbo so I need to measure 3x and drill/tap once to ensure there’s no contact with the tip inside the chamber. Doing another post in the diesel section to get feedback.

IMG_0455.jpeg

70519689642__73D49D07-05E2-4569-99AF-B0711708B816.jpeg

70519690600__8A47A4EF-7496-4CD9-9594-9A1881F551A8.jpeg

70477120546__AF093141-FB76-455D-BA9F-5C3AC6FB7368.jpeg

IMG_0419.jpeg

Ooooooo I'm jealous....

So no progress on this motor as I’ve been building a T-case onto a friends new H55 for his 61. Put it in his post but worth sharing here as well…put new gears in the case which is a whole new experience. George @orangefj45 hooked us up. Have never had a case rebuild feel so good and man everything is smooth. If you’re bored you can check out the other fun stuff we are doing to Mason’s 61 @landsnoozer on his build thread.

Wanted to also point out some lackluster craftsmanship on the rebuild by Blackdog traders for the previous owner of this 62. I may be over killing this topic but can’t get over it. And providing a shot of the head that has only a few hundred miles since the rebuild. Went back and looked at the receipt on file. They charged quite a bit of $ to “clean and rebuild” this 12HT. Can’t say the head was not rebuilt until I pull it. However it does look to have a newer head gasket. Really hard to tell 100%. You’ll see the many bolts missing or never tightened/torqued down.
J @TRAIL TAILOR has some some experience cleaning up messes they have created for some of their customers. Them and the shop in Houston that rebuilt the T-case on Mason’s 61 are mind boggling. Big takeaway is you really have to know/trust whoever you’re having work on your cruiser.
70569205017__B0DCAD6C-850E-4E24-A86B-35A285091407.jpeg
New gears. Almost no better feeling than this :).

IMG_0537.jpeg
IMG_0536.jpeg
IMG_0535.jpeg
IMG_0533.jpeg
IMG_0532.jpeg
And pics of bolts missing or not torqued
And below is a pressure plate bolt that fell out when I removed the clutch. Funny thing is the pressure plate had all 6 bolts on it. Can’t figure out how this happens
IMG_0543.jpeg

Here’s pic of the head that they charged
IMG_0525.jpeg
to clean/rebuild a few hundred miles ago

Sadly this type of “issue” seems to be a common theme with Black Dog Traders. The power of advertising lures in customers who are unsuspecting and they end up with a bigger mess in the end.

So no progress on this motor as I’ve been building a T-case onto a friends new H55 for his 61. Put it in his post but worth sharing here as well…put new gears in the case which is a whole new experience. George @orangefj45 hooked us up. Have never had a case rebuild feel so good and man everything is smooth. If you’re bored you can check out the other fun stuff we are doing to Mason’s 61 @landsnoozer on his build thread.

Wanted to also point out some lackluster craftsmanship on the rebuild by Blackdog traders for the previous owner of this 62. I may be over killing this topic but can’t get over it. And providing a shot of the head that has only a few hundred miles since the rebuild. Went back and looked at the receipt on file. They charged quite a bit of $ to “clean and rebuild” this 12HT. Can’t say the head was not rebuilt until I pull it. However it does look to have a newer head gasket. Really hard to tell 100%. You’ll see the many bolts missing or never tightened/torqued down.
J @TRAIL TAILOR has some some experience cleaning up messes they have created for some of their customers. Them and the shop in Houston that rebuilt the T-case on Mason’s 61 are mind boggling. Big takeaway is you really have to know/trust whoever you’re having work on your cruiser.
View attachment 3322606New gears. Almost no better feeling than this :).

View attachment 3322609View attachment 3322610View attachment 3322611View attachment 3322612View attachment 3322613And pics of bolts missing or not torqued
And below is a pressure plate bolt that fell out when I removed the clutch. Funny thing is the pressure plate had all 6 bolts on it. Can’t figure out how this happens
View attachment 3322614
Here’s pic of the head that they charged View attachment 3322616to clean/rebuild a few hundred miles ago
Oh man this is why my shop is now well insulated.................so the neighbors can't hear my screaming and cussing when I run across stuff like this on vehicles I work on.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom