Builds The 60 known as Mamabear: a tale of rust and good times. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@HemiAlex I missed the welding on the #1 cylinder exhaust horn. What was that about?
@CruiserTrash The horns will swivel. Likely the machine shop tacked them prior to resurfacing and then cut the tacks. That is the best way to do it.

Also, @HemiAlex, I used the plasma to cut the exhaust flapper out of one of my trucks and had the machine shop to tap the bronze bushings and install set screws. The truck sounds fantastic without the flapper restriction and not having the flapper doesn't appear to be overheating my intake at all. I think removing the flapper is the way to go, and I'll be doing it again in another truck of mine in a few weeks.

@CruiserTrash The horns will swivel. Likely the machine shop tacked them prior to resurfacing and then cut the tacks. That is the best way to do it.

Also, @HemiAlex, I used the plasma to cut the exhaust flapper out of one of my trucks and had the machine shop to tap the bronze bushings and install set screws. The truck sounds fantastic without the flapper restriction and not having the flapper doesn't appear to be overheating my intake at all. I think removing the flapper is the way to go, and I'll be doing it again in another truck of mine in a few weeks.
Ah, that makes sense on tacking it for the machine work. Hell of a tack, but I've never welded on cast iron - I hear it's not easy.

Got any photos of tapping the holes the heat riser shaft went through? Somebody else on Mud did that a couple years ago, and I plan on doing the same to a spare manifold set I've got. Just seal the holes up right, and for good.

That’s it. He just booger tacked them up for surfacing.

I’m trying to keep costs on the truck minimal while saving for the next series of upgrades, so the heat riser delete wasn’t a priority. I put the block off plate in and it worked well.

I didn’t hook a gauge to it, but I did adjust it by ear. I’m at 5 turns out on fuel screw and it’s idling at 750/850 ac on.

The truck is dead silent at the moment and I’m happy. Did some more cleanup of stuff from inside the truck and my last field job.

It needs a good cleaning, tool organizing and some love.

We’re very close to getting a new house, well a first home for me so all of this stuff is going to be going by the wayside.

The 60 will stay on daily duty.

Also, I didn’t do anything with the horn springs. I’ve never messed with them and even when handling one I’ve had it come out with no leaks.

I wouldn’t say I’ve been lucky, because most things are always the worst case scenario for me.

Ah, that makes sense on tacking it for the machine work. Hell of a tack, but I've never welded on cast iron - I hear it's not easy.

Got any photos of tapping the holes the heat riser shaft went through? Somebody else on Mud did that a couple years ago, and I plan on doing the same to a spare manifold set I've got. Just seal the holes up right, and for good.
0CA484D5-A450-4CE7-9378-206374350B03.jpeg
0C5AB631-78A4-4163-8D3C-9DD7CB39D227.jpeg
71611872-E1DF-406B-AC33-8DB9757EC7D8.jpeg

Gorgeous. Did you tap the heat riser holes yourself and was it difficult? Or did you have a machine shop do it?
The machine shop did it while they had it to do the resurfacing. I don't think it would be that hard to DIY. The bushings are brass and brass is soft and easy to tap.

Likely the machine shop tacked them prior to resurfacing and then cut the tacks. That is the best way to do it.

23-year old me had the very same exhaust manifold resurfaced and didn't cut the machine shop's tacks and promptly cracked the manifold on final torque of reinstall. Got pissed and punched the fender, hit it with JB Weld and left for Alex to deal with. :cool:

23-year old me had the very same exhaust manifold resurfaced and didn't cut the machine shop's tacks and promptly cracked the manifold on final torque of reinstall. Got pissed and punched the fender, hit it with JB Weld and left for Alex to deal with. :cool:

Is the fender dent still there? That's a good story

I had one of the best wheeling days of my life in March 2022. Then I fell into a ditch leaving the park and beer canned the side of the truck. Not very awesome.

The guys at classic cruisers hooked me up with a full set of clean Colorado sheet metal in my matching silver. I’ll be able to clean the door up to match the finish of truck.

Truck feels like new to me.

98452280-980A-470D-A40D-CD65F9948226.jpeg

IMG_3276.jpeg

IMG_3280.jpeg

IMG_3279.jpeg

I think that dented door is as nice as my least dented door :lol:

Leave the pinstripes on that “new” door please.

I’ve been preoccupied with life and this has been a turn key, park it up front at the valet kind of rig.

A special thanks to @mattressking for the carb help. It’s running at peak tractor.

IMG_1945.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom