What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (58 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What a week! Finally got my new Headunit installed. Threw up some more info in the stereo FAQ that hopefully someone finds helpful in the future. Amp bypass is a must!

20230429_120103.jpg

I also spent some time removing all the rust and old foam from my factory skid and then hitting it with some Rustoleum Rust Reformer and then a topcoat of flat black.

Here's before...
20230425_120212.jpg

..and after, installed
20230429_120211.jpg

I really need to do a better job of learning to take pictures while I work just so I have more pretty stuff to post.

I also got my new foglight housings in. Super cheap from China, and here's why...
20230428_091525.jpg

Luckily you dont notice it too much when they're installed, and frankly anything is better than what was on there. Both the previous ones had been flooded out, and one had so much black mold in it that it was just unusable. Dropped some powerful LEDs in there, since I rarely use the fogs (never on the road) and when I do I really want to see.

Lastly I got in my new "JDM Offroad Edition" bumper guard. I just got it up for a test fit yesterday, but it will be awhile before I get time to paint and install it. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it!

20230428_104406.jpg

New OEM rad and hoses installed today. 20-year-old top tank was browning so wanted to swap it out. Pretty quick job on the 100. May be selling soonish. Stay tuned.

36E7530D-6EE1-42B8-ABE7-754F62292335.jpeg

1C3475D8-B6AC-449A-9971-21AC364D893F.jpeg

54C1BBFA-4AE0-4194-9769-987C318F2216.jpeg

BAB65AD6-06B4-4E5A-9730-4F555EFDD0E2.jpeg

E60C5390-AA39-4A00-8B60-31D658C87A7A.jpeg

Last edited:
Blew up my front diff in Moab on Poison Spider, finihsed Gold Spike and Gold Bar in 2WD and a bit of winching. Didn't have to pull drive flanges or driveline since i have a part time conversion/Transfer case Spool and 3.11:1 low range gears. Also no rear locker..

Broke the elbow connected to the fuel filter (I think someone super glued it to the filter). Awaiting parts now including the fuel damper. While that's happening I'm re dying the seats and repairing the blown sub in the back. Dying to get the truck back on the road. Toyota parts have been SLOOOWW to get. Pic because useless w/out pics.

343089083_1211430376409584_4924250206859531942_n.jpg

Revised my wiring to include the winch finally (after it’s been installed for like a year). It and the air compressor go to a selector disconnect switch in the engine bay since I don’t have a need to use a cabin switch right now. Maybe something for the future.

Also went through and replaced the front transmission hoses just as a precaution. Next up are the rear heater hoses that are probably original.

IMG_5757.jpeg

Revised my wiring to include the winch finally (after it’s been installed for like a year). It and the air compressor go to a selector disconnect switch in the engine bay since I don’t have a need to use a cabin switch right now. Maybe something for the future.

Also went through and replaced the front transmission hoses just as a precaution. Next up are the rear heater hoses that are probably original.

View attachment 3312515
What is the bracket your Redarc fuse holder is mounted to?

finally finished wiring up the ARB twin. While I was there realized I need to install a fuse box in the engine bay to help with wire management. Also installed new cup holders. Really digging these no more spilled Monsters...

IMG_0769.JPG
70458440286__7AD86C7E-A8FB-4A9C-9A78-EC4EF1726AEB.JPG

finally finished wiring up the ARB twin. While I was there realized I need to install a fuse box in the engine bay to help with wire management. Also installed new cup holders. Really digging these no more spilled Monsters...

View attachment 3312666View attachment 3312667

Link for cupholder? I assume you took the top off, or it fell off...and this just drops right in? Looks clean...

Link for cupholder? I assume you took the top off, or it fell off...and this just drops right in? Looks clean...

You have take the plastic surround off around the gear shift etc, remove 3 screws and then this screws right back in to that location.

Yes super clean and no more "spilt milk" ;)

I tightened up the hand brake this weekend. Got the passenger side tire back on and found this broken spring on the ground... I had the drivers side off, and was able to take the second photo. Can anyone identify the broken spring? Is it the same spring highlighted in the second photo? I went through Toyota Parts Deal, but none of the springs appear to have the full loop. TIA!

BrakeSpring_Broken_050223.jpg

LC_BrakeSpring_Circle.png

View attachment 3312666View attachment 3312667
Where did you get that mounting plate above the battery? I like that you put the rocker switch right there by the air filter....didn't want to run the wiring inside the cabin?

Not this week but since receiving my JDM 04 LC from Japan, over the last two and half months I have:
1) Replaced heater t's. One broke while I removed it and got most of the crumbs out.

2) Tried to add a block heater because apparently, it doesn't get cold enough in Japan to warrant a block heater Could not get a definitive answer as to which frost plug needed to be removed on a 4.7L, as they seem to be different locations for the 4Runner, Sequoia and LC. Chose poorly and could not get the block heater into the hole because of proximity to the motor mount and internal structure of the block. Had to get it towed to a dealer to fix that. Flushed out any of the remnants of the broken heater tee, I hope. Ended up with an oil pan heater instead.

3) Changed the engine, tsf case, fr and rr diff oils.

4) LED's for all the interior lights and rear taillights.

5) Replaced a band on the LH outer CV boot, as it seemed to weeping a little grease.

6) greased the u joints and slip yokes. Still getting the clunk so not sure whether I need more grease in the slip yoke or if it something else like the drive flange(s)

7) RH valve cover gasket started to weep during a -30C weather stretch so I bought two new ones and replaced them last week. Did the LH side first, since that one was going to be more difficult with all the hoses, harnesses and dipstick tube in way and then smoothly replaced the RH. Also did the spark plugs and tube gaskets at the same time. Well, the LH was spitting up like a baby drinking milk once I did my start up to test my work. Pulled that mofo off again and saw the gasket has come out of the bottom groove and was sliced in half in a couple of spots. Ordered another one and had to wait a couple days for the dealer to get it and replaced it. Took four attempts, though to get it on and realized that those hoses, harnesses and dipstick tube forced me to get the cover too close the top of the valvetrain and it kept pulling it out of the groove. Finally got it back on and torqued and no leaks. Me so happy.

8) Vent hose cracked on the RH valve cover when pulling it off so back to the dealer and wait a couple more days for it to arrive. Gorilla tape to the rescue for the time being.

9) Headlight washer tee cracked so they were inoperable until I was finally able to track one down at Impex. Had to take the front bumper off to get to the hoses but easier than trying to do it from underneath.

10) Installed an FJ40 Hitch receiver from Cool Cruisers to replace the other Hitch receiver assembly I ordered before I received the vehicle in Canada,( mistakenly assuming it had the same rear crossmember as the LX) Now I can use my bike rack again.

11) Second attempt to get a new headunit to replace the stock Toyota one has more or less worked. First Android/Tesla style one, didn't have sound or able to operate any climate control so sent that back. Took a chance after talking to Phoenix Automotive in California and installed it this weekend. Pretty much works except rear defrost and mirror heater. Left side speakers don't work but the right do so I have some sound and everything else on the unit works well. The previous owner installed a TV monitor behind the LH passenger front seat, I assume for kids to watch in the backseat, and there is some kind of control unit under that seat with a bunch of RCA cables in and out so it could be related to that but I will pull that apart in the spring when it warms up. No more Japanese characters on the screen and speaking to me through the speakers.

12) Installed a new backup camera to go along with the headunit, since the factory one stopped working. Electrical stuff is daunting but good ol' YouTube can walk you through just about anything now. Who needs to go to university nowadays with that so readily available?

Rotors, bearings, pads etc are sitting on the work bench in the garage for the next install in the spring. Again, YouTube has shown me all the intricacies of doing the LC brakes and the new tools needed. Oh yeah, also going to do an AHC flush and try to uninstall the aftermarket Japanese suspension module that is in there now, once again, in the spring.

Couple of things I have learned to be true are that even if an older vehicle has low mileage, expect to see degraded plastics and rubber.

Also, be prepared to get EXTRA grimy when working on your vehicle's undercarriage if you have WoolWax coating. My god, that stuff gets everywhere and makes a simple job damn messy.
13) Replaced the front rotors, bearings and pads. Everything went relatively smooth, though, I don't think it was necessary to do the bearings just quite yet, as the grease still looked good, no scoring and the bearings rolled smoothly. Was a learning experience getting the torque just right on the locking nuts.

14) Figured out the clunking as well. When I was doing the brakes, I checked the flange and CV splines and everything was tight, to my relief. Then, got a pry bar into the diff mounts and noticed a bit of play in them. Back onto IMPEX and ordered new mounts and the front bushing. Was dreading the chiseling out of the front bushing but after watching YotaMD's YT video, got out the air chisel and that done in minutes. That was easier that trying to loosen both of other diff mounts as they were really torqued on Also, saw that the sway bar links and bushings were dry rotted so tossed that in the basket and replaced front and rear on those. Smooth ride now with no clunks. Me so happy.

15) Had to have DRL installed to pass inspection in Canada and didn't like how the mechanic who did the inspection and install did it by just having my low beams running all the time with a module. Ordered the LED DRL's and got them set up inside the grille.

16) The front grille and the Toyota and LandCruiser logo, V8 and Limited emblems were all sunblasted when I got it. The emblems were "gold" but it was flaking off and contemplated just painting them all grey metallic but since I still had a can of titanium silver for touchups on my 03 4Runner, I tried to free hand it. Not the best result but figured I could still just repaint it all black or grey later, if need be. The grill was sanded primed and repainted but the grey is not the same shade exactly as the body. Not too bad though.

16) Left outer tie rod end boot was torn so ordered both sides. Took a couple tries to get the steering back to center but it was a good learning experience.

17) Swapped out the winter for summer wheels. Had to remove the front mud flaps to avoid the rubbing.

18) Removed the CD player and tried to put in the cubby box from BenCC but it was a different size that what the NA armrest/consoles are so it didn't just drop into place. The cooler box in mine reduced the size available after removing the CD player but just used some of the plastic bezel to fit around the edges and cemented them in place. That cooler box made the whole CD removal process a little more time consuming than a console without because of the A/C lines attached underneath it all. Another learning experience.

After driving it around ~6000km this winter, I see an issue that I have never had to experience before with rock chips on the fenders. My 4Runner Sport has plastic cladding which scratches but protects the fenders and doors. I don't want this to progress to rust so I ordered a set of Bushwacker OE fender flares. Not sure if they are the way to go but I don't want a 2-3" flare sticking out and if these can keep the rock chips away, might be worth it. I will dry fit them before I decide whether to keep them and whether I want them flat black or sand/primed/painted.

IMG_2922.jpg
IMG_2923.jpg
IMG_2934.jpg
IMG_2933.jpg
IMG_2935.jpg
I envy you guys who live in dry climates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom