4-speed transmission seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m rebuilding my ‘78 4-speed. The kit came with three seals. One is obviously for the input shaft. Another one fits in the cover that goes between the transmission case and the transfer case around the output shaft (see pic). Is there supposed to be a seal there? I ask because there wasn’t one there when I tore it apart. Nor is there any reference to this seal in the FSM. Lastly, there’s a third seal with no apparent home. It’s slightly smaller than the output shaft seal in question. Any ideas?

IMG_0183.jpeg

A lot of the kits work for multiple versions, it's possible the extra seal is for a different model/year of transmission.

That’s helpful. But then I see this seal: Transmission to Transfer Case Seal for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 55 – JT Outfitters - https://www.jtoutfitters.com/product/transmission-to-transfer-case-seal-for-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-55/

…With this description:
This is the vulnerable seal between your transmission and transfer case that commonly goes bad and cause one gearbox to pump fluid from one to the other. This should be on your list if you are changing the clutch or removing the transfer. Fits early to 8/80 Cruisers. Seal is 42 X 60 X 7 for those measuring.

…And it makes sense because without it there’s not anything to keep oil from passing from the transmission into the tcase and vice versa.

I think that seal is on the diagram for the transfer case
Seal for Transfer case.JPG

90311-42014
Looking at the parts diagram for the transmission, it does not seem to show a seal, as per Mr.Green above

The hub of the T-case input gear goes through that seal.

T-caseInputSeal.jpg

InputGear.jpeg

Where did you get the kit? Are they able to give you a 'Bill of Materials' and tell you where/which seal to use?

If its a TR47586 kit from Cruiser Outfitters, that will have 3 seals. One input (all model 4spds) and two different t-case input seals, one for the 1pc case and the other used for the split-case, they can't be mixed up based on OD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom