Oil Level and Oil Level Sender (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is more of an observation post.

I currently own a 94 and have been noticed that my low oil indicator only triggers when my engine gets to operating temperature (flickers for a second or two then goes out). I have owned a 93 and two 97 in the past and seem to recall that the low oil indicator would come on just after start. Is this just an odd duck in how the indicator is triggering? I am not worried about it but while driving today it flickered and got me thinking about it on my drive to work.

Indeed my '93 will throw that light in 2 conditions:
1 - extreme angle to passenger side
2 - just after start if level is at half stick or less
Kinda surprised it doesn't light in more situations given how the sensor is just kinda 'mounted in there'.
But in my mind the spirit of the light is to give more than adequate advance warning.
And I like that.

This is more of an observation post.

I currently own a 94 and have been noticed that my low oil indicator only triggers when my engine gets to operating temperature (flickers for a second or two then goes out). I have owned a 93 and two 97 in the past and seem to recall that the low oil indicator would come on just after start. Is this just an odd duck in how the indicator is triggering? I am not worried about it but while driving today it flickered and got me thinking about it on my drive to work.
Mine starts to indicate after I start it cold and I have about 5000 miles on the oil. I think the viscosity of the oil has dropped enough that the float sinks just enough to trigger it.

It will also do it random times during cold weather.

I have removed and cleaned it (and installed a new seal) to see if it would make it more correct, but it only made a slight change so that it's not on every time I start it.

Mine starts to indicate after I start it cold and I have about 5000 miles on the oil. I think the viscosity of the oil has dropped enough that the float sinks just enough to trigger it.

It will also do it random times during cold weather.

I have removed and cleaned it (and installed a new seal) to see if it would make it more correct, but it only made a slight change so that it's not on every time I start it.
I'd say that the level of the oil has dropped just enough to trigger it. It does it at random times in cold weather because the oil is thicker and doesn't run back to the sump as fast, so it triggers sooner than when it's warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom