Stereo FAQ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@suprarx7nut, I agree for the potential of the potentiometer to be too late in terms of the hiss but I am feeling determined to try it, at least to give me a bit more volume adjustability at the HU before being too loud.

To clear up a few things, my HU isn't an "android HU" it's got Android Auto and Carplay (features provided by Google and Apple). I chose NOT to use an Android based HU because I questioned the quality of their amplification and general circuitry as well as reliability and system lag. That said, I'd be embarrassed to say the major brand of the HU I got...it's basically the cheapest HU you can get with Android Auto capabilities and the next deck up is double the cost so it represents a fantastic value for what it is. Definitely not without its faults. For example, why ON EARTH do you include an antenna turn on lead but turn on the antenna ANY time the HU is powered on for any reason at all, including to display the backup camera even when the deck was otherwise off! Yes, it will fire up the antenna when I put it in reverse with the HU off...:bang:

The preamps are rated at 2V on my HU. I actually reached out to a local car stereo expert to get some clarification on the hiss I'm experiencing and he's shared some interesting things. I mentioned using some of the potentiometers he makes and sells and he all but ignored that part (which leads me to trust his advice somewhat since he wasn't trying to make an easy sale). He says the hiss is the noise floor of the HU and if it had a hotter signal from the RCAs, the amp wouldn't have to listen to the noise (and amplify it). I think he's crudely explaining signal to noise ratio but he didn't use the term. He claims the factory radio can send voltages to the factory amp up to 16volts by amplifying the 12v system...Not sure I buy this. To me, it seems more likely that the factory radio is sending out a low signal which is why the gain seems to be so high on the factory amp. He's claiming I should try passing the high level speaker leads to the factory amp and this will get rid of the hiss but I'm not sure I'm buying that.

As for the volume too high, I do think it's mostly because this is a cheaper HU so it's volume control is a bit basic and doesn't have much resolution for variability. I do think the potentiometers WILL help in that regard. If it reduced the hiss, that would be icing on the cake. I think the potentiometers will fit behind the AC controls in that dead space, I don't plan on installing them for constant tinkering, hoping to set and forget if I can.

I'm not sure my hiss is even the same that others have experienced. I really can't even hear mine if the cabin fan is turned on and blowing or the vehicle is on the freeway. It has to be at a dead stop and quiet to notice the hiss.

Some of that shop's advice scares me.

1. High-level signals are VASTLY different than the low-level RCAs. When setting up amps with a multimeter you can set the gain by the output AC voltage of a test signal. Typical values are on the order of 17-35V. I very much doubt the factory amp is setup to accept that as an input voltage without damaging something. Maybe the headunit's internal amp is puny enough to barely produce a voltage worth worrying about, but that seems like a dangerous gamble.

2. Noise floor in my mind just means the ground loop is different. You can't remedy that with anythign short of internal circuit modification of the head unit or amp. There are band-aids, but they are all just band-aids. The only "correct" fix is removal of the factory amp, IMO.

3. Antenna turn on lead: yeah, that's a sign of a really cheap manufacturer reusing parts from other products or failing to implement software plans.

I'm no car audio expert though, so maybe the shop is right. :dunno:

Ok, reporting back, I tried two PAC LC-1 Remote Amplifier Level Controllers (one for front and one for rear) and it was ultimately a failure overall but, it was successful in getting rid of the amp hiss and lowering the overall volume of my HU so that the volume control was more controllable and had more resolution! Seemed to me these were lowering the signal level to better match what the amp was expecting like the factory HU output!

Ultimately the failure was that the PAC LC-1 actually picked up a new interference (amp whine) that seemed tied with either the fuel pump, brake vacuum pump or alternator that wasn't there before. When the engine was off but the key was on, you can hear something running for a bit and eventually it turns off and so does the whine but with the engine running, the whine is continuous. The new noise was more high pitched and changed with RPM. I could sort of tune it out if the controllers were turned down low enough but this eliminated the benefits of using them as the output was now too low.

So, apparently the circuitry of these introduce more interference. :( I think my next steps are to test the RCA shield ground to chassis ground with my multimeter and maybe add fused ground wires on the RCA grounds to the HU chassis bolts? Might be worth a try to see if I can get rid of the whine to be able to use the PAC LC-1 devices to solve the original problem!

Something like this: RCA Shield Repair

Ok, me again. I called PAC and they are suggesting I try the LP5-4 which has gain adjustment and an optional ground wire. I wonder where I should ground it, at the ground from the factory harness or just chassis ground? Nice thing about this unit is it features 4 channels in one device. Had I searched a little harder, I probably would have tried this first. :)

LP5-4: http://a.co/d/7W9gGqI

Ok, me again. I called PAC and they are suggesting I try the LP5-4 which has gain adjustment and an optional ground wire. I wonder where I should ground it, at the ground from the factory harness or just chassis ground? Nice thing about this unit is it features 4 channels in one device. Had I searched a little harder, I probably would have tried this first. :)

LP5-4: http://a.co/d/7W9gGqI

I think you'll need to use the amp ground.

I've gone through this thread and few others and I must be missing something because I'm not able to connect my aftermarket radio.

The harness I purchased has RCA style speaker wires but the actual radio has normal wires.

Do I need to run the RCA style speaker wires to the amp and then additional wires from the amp to the radio?

Here are the parts I'm using.
Metra 70-8112 Radio Wiring Harness for Toyota Amp Integration 15 Pin

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZQMW5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The RCA jacks are to take a signal that has not been amplified out to the factory (or other) amp.

If your new head unit does not have those, Ian guessing you do not have pre-amp out put.

You should review the wiring diagram or specs...

Thanks for the info. I'm starting to think that the aftermarket radio is my problem. I'm going to look for one that has the pre-amp out put that you mentioned.

I feel like I missed it in upthread, what (metra?) wiring harness do I need to get, and what do I need to bypass/clip at the connectors at the amp? I have a 1999 TLC, and the audio system is stock. I’m planning on installing a simple JVC single din head unit.

I feel like I’ve seen the instructions clearly laid out in a thread on here a few months ago, but I can’t find it now.

thanks

Are you looking to connect an aftermarket head unit to the stock speakers, using the stock speaker wiring by bypassing the amp? Once you clarify this, folks can recommend the Metra part numbers for almost fully plug n play.

Are you looking to connect an aftermarket head unit to the stock speakers, using the stock speaker wiring by bypassing the amp? Once you clarify this, folks can recommend the Metra part numbers for almost fully plug n play.
thanks for the reply! Whatever is most simple. I understand that the amp powers the OEM head unit and that, at minimum, this part needs to be bypassed at the connection between the amp and the new head unit. my head unit stopped working. when i broke things down and worked through the wiring with a multimeter, the amp was functioning correctly (as best as one can tell with a multimeter). i have a soldering kit and am not scared to use it. i hate chasing a grounding problem gremlins.

thanks again!

Last edited:
Bump. How about if I connect the aftermarket head unit directly to the speakers? What connector do I need to order?

thanks for the reply! Whatever is most simple. I understand that the amp powers the OEM head unit and that, at minimum, this part needs to be bypassed at the connection between the amp and the new head unit. my head unit stopped working. when i broke things down and worked through the wiring with a multimeter, the amp was functioning correctly (as best as one can tell with a multimeter). i have a soldering kit and am not scared to use it. i hate chasing a grounding problem gremlins.

thanks again!

My understanding is that the head unit provides the power signal to the amp...

I feel like I missed it in upthread, what (metra?) wiring harness do I need to get, and what do I need to bypass/clip at the connectors at the amp? I have a 1999 TLC, and the audio system is stock. I’m planning on installing a simple JVC single din head unit.

I feel like I’ve seen the instructions clearly laid out in a thread on here a few months ago, but I can’t find it now.

thanks

If you have a '99 LC, you should be fine with the Metra harness for LC. With that you shouldn't need to clip or bypass anything, as long as your new head unit has pre-amp outputs (usually RCA).

what are some good choices for the second row speakers? should they be subs or 2 ways? i got some powerbass 2 ways, 2 ohms. just checking.
for some reason my front powerbass midrange just died but the factory tweeter is shot and just got the new one in the mail and haven't installed it yet. hopefully it's just a loose connection.

Just tossing my 2 cents in here for posterity...

Like many others I just wanted a cheap, quick, easy solution to be able to make and answer calls while driving (a necessity for my job), play music via bluetooth, and add a backup camera if possible. I found the Miratowa TH0011 headunit to be the cheapest option that hits all those wickets and grabbed one in the first week I had my LC.

Eventually running out of legitimate jobs to do on the rig, I finally decided to open up the center dash and see what I was dealing with for the stereo. Decided I'd need a wiring harness kit, and after failing to find one locally, I ordered a Metra 70-8112 kit off Amazon. Turns out the Miratowa HU only has L+R RCA outputs, so I used a couple RCA Y-connectors (2 female to one male) I already had on-hand, as well as a 3.5mm Sony microphone that I've owned for probably 2 decades and never used (dad box).

After making a quick repair to the faulty LR RCA connector (just a quick resolder) on the Metra harness, I connected everything up in the house between the Metra harness and the Miratowa harness with simple wire screws just to make sure everything worked. Walked outside and had the old HU out and the new HU installed in less than 20 mins.

First time turning it on I was sure I'd messed something up. A very loud low hum followed by a pop as the amp turned on. I knew it was a ground wire issue and did some research here. Just grounding to the HU mounting plate was all that was needed to get rid of the most heinous noise.

I still had a humming like a million mosquitoes in the background though. Tried running a ground wire from HU to Amp ground, but that didnt solve it. Oddly enough, the first time I got the passenger seat up to get at the amp, the humming stopped when I turned the key to ACC, and I thought I'd somehow moved a crimped wire or something and fixed it, but immediately after putting the passenger seat back the humming returned and later messing around didnt fix it.

I'm currently waiting on a ground loop isolator I ordered off Amazon to see if that resolves the issue, as it sounds similar to the issues I had plugging in aux jacks in my older Mazdas. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but either way I'll follow up here. If it works I'll provide a full list of parts with links for future folks. If it doesnt I'll be looking for help to figure out this noise. I could live with it, but my wife will go mad if she has to hear that during a trip, and that's a no-go for a family hauler.

Just tossing my 2 cents in here for posterity...

Like many others I just wanted a cheap, quick, easy solution to be able to make and answer calls while driving (a necessity for my job), play music via bluetooth, and add a backup camera if possible. I found the Miratowa TH0011 headunit to be the cheapest option that hits all those wickets and grabbed one in the first week I had my LC.

Eventually running out of legitimate jobs to do on the rig, I finally decided to open up the center dash and see what I was dealing with for the stereo. Decided I'd need a wiring harness kit, and after failing to find one locally, I ordered a Metra 70-8112 kit off Amazon. Turns out the Miratowa HU only has L+R RCA outputs, so I used a couple RCA Y-connectors (2 female to one male) I already had on-hand, as well as a 3.5mm Sony microphone that I've owned for probably 2 decades and never used (dad box).

After making a quick repair to the faulty LR RCA connector (just a quick resolder) on the Metra harness, I connected everything up in the house between the Metra harness and the Miratowa harness with simple wire screws just to make sure everything worked. Walked outside and had the old HU out and the new HU installed in less than 20 mins.

First time turning it on I was sure I'd messed something up. A very loud low hum followed by a pop as the amp turned on. I knew it was a ground wire issue and did some research here. Just grounding to the HU mounting plate was all that was needed to get rid of the most heinous noise.

I still had a humming like a million mosquitoes in the background though. Tried running a ground wire from HU to Amp ground, but that didnt solve it. Oddly enough, the first time I got the passenger seat up to get at the amp, the humming stopped when I turned the key to ACC, and I thought I'd somehow moved a crimped wire or something and fixed it, but immediately after putting the passenger seat back the humming returned and later messing around didnt fix it.

I'm currently waiting on a ground loop isolator I ordered off Amazon to see if that resolves the issue, as it sounds similar to the issues I had plugging in aux jacks in my older Mazdas. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but either way I'll follow up here. If it works I'll provide a full list of parts with links for future folks. If it doesnt I'll be looking for help to figure out this noise. I could live with it, but my wife will go mad if she has to hear that during a trip, and that's a no-go for a family hauler.
Follow-up for posterity. A Ground Loop Isolator for RCAs (GLIRCA) kit reduced hiss and hum down to zero WITH THE KEY AT ACC. As soon as I turn it to ON, the hum returns, and turning the engine on results in wholly unlivable interference.

I hate to do this, because I really was hoping to find a cheap and easy solution, but I'm going to have to bypass the stock amp. And if I'm going to do that, I may as well upgrade the speakers and swap to an underseat sub.

If you have a 98 and are hoping to simply plug and play an aftermarket head unit with a Scosche or Metra harness, it's probably not gonna be in the cards. Sorry!

Success! Sorry in advance, as this post is gonna be a bear (and no real pictures either), but for those like me who want an easy to follow guide to install a stereo, I think this will be worth it...

Simple Cheap Stereo Install (w/Amp Bypass)

Parts-
-$90 Miratowa TH0011 (https://a.co/d/fyZzQMe)
-$10 Metra 70-8112 Harness (https://a.co/d/hpfkXlL)
-Assorted Butt connectors, wire screws, and wire taps
-Wire cutting/crimping/stripping tool
-10mm wrench
-14mm wrench

Time required- 2 hrs, mostly spent splicing connections at an easy pace. Less if you've done it before.

Here are the only two references I needed to make this happen, aside from the bag the Metra harness came in and the startup guide for the Miratowa head unit. The first is from the site mentioned in the beginning of this thread, and the second is from this site- https://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/05/land-cruiser-lx-470-stereo-wiring/

WireHarnessToy121004.jpg

20230426_092754.jpg

Step 1.
Build the Harness.

Modify the Metra harness. Because you're not using passive RCAs to the amp, youll have to clip the RCAs off and splice the Metra harness to the Miratowa harness. Remember that shared ground on the RCAs is the Speaker Ground (S GROUND), so all the negatives (FR-, FL-, RR-, RL-) will splice to that. Everything is super easy because the colors match between the Metra and Miratowa harnesses. Best part is that you can do this indoors with some beers and take your time.

The only issue with the Metra harness that I found is that it doesnt have a spot for ILLUM. You'll have to tap that guy (Pin 9) on install later, or be like me and just say screw it!

Step 2.
Amp Delete.

Remove the amp and jumper the power for your headunit as well as the speakers.

Amp removal- there are two forward 10mm bolts (one which you'll want to return as it's an anchor for a ground), and two aft 10mm bolts hidden under a foam block. Remove all the bolts, disconnect the connectors, and boom- amp gone!

Jumpering Connections- There are two connectors; S7 (little guy, comes from the headunit), and S6 (big guy, pushes signal to speakers).

First splice all your power connections.

On Connector S7 remove pin 3 (B+ out) and on Connector S6 remove pin 7 (B+ in) and butt splice them blue and gold bad boys.

On Connector S7 remove pins 2 (accessory in) and 9 (accessory out) and splice em together.

On Connector S7 remove pin 10 (ground int) and on Connector S6 remove pin 13 (Ground out) and splice em!

That's all your power splices. Now for your speaker splices.

Front Right- On Connector S7 remove pin 6 (yellow) and on Connector S6 remove pin 1 (yellowish green). Splice em!

Front Left- On Connector S7 remove pin 5 (pink) and on Connector S6 remove pin 2 (pink). Splice em!

Rear Right- On Connector S7 remove pin 14 (red) and on Connector S6 remove pin 3 (red). Splice em!

Rear Left- On Connector S7 remove pin 13 (white) and on Connector S6 remove pin 4 (black). Splice em!

Speaker grounds- On Connector S7 remove pin 11 (black). This is the speaker ground. Hold onto this guy for a second. On Connector S6 remove pins 8, 9, 10, and 11 (purple, blue, white, and yellow- all the ones that were directly underneath what you just spliced). All these guys will get spliced together to the speaker ground.

I know. That was a lot of splicing, and this is supposed to be simple. It is! This is as simple as it gets with the LC.

Step 3.
Install the stereo.

This is the easy part. The center dash just pops off. I used the brackets from the side of the OEM headunit to mount my new one.

Now that you have everything spliced under the passenger seat and the harness spliced together and ready, you literally just have to put it in, plug the harness into the headunit and the P500 connector (the only one that fits the harness).

Step 4.
Add Options.

There are a ton of optional components you can add to the mix here before you button up, or later when you decide to do the work. I'll try to cover what I can think of.

-Backup Camera/Forward Camera
I'm not going to run through a full backup camera install, but instead remain focused on the headunit side of the install.
On install if you decide to add the backup camera, you'll have to tap the Reverse signal from the ECU behind the glove box.
Forward camera requires no such tap, but will require you running the feed in through the firewall. A good place is right in that same area, behind the ECU.

-Antenna
The LC uses one standard mast antenna and a second antenna in the rear window glass. The standard power antenna is plenty powerful and uses a normal connector, but if you really want to connect up that rear glass guy as well just to get a bit more reception range, you'll need an antenna splitter and an mda b adapter.

-Microphone
The main reason I installed this is to get better call quality while driving, so a microphone was an essential upgrade for me. I mounted mine on top of the steering column- putting it close to me but out of the way, and not in a place where it will be affected by breeze from the windows or AC.

-Sub
You'll note I didn't wire in the stock sub. That's honestly because it's rather anemic and frankly I dont like how it's tuned (totally personal preference). Instead I have ordered an underseat powered sub which I'll install where the stock amp used to sit under the passenger seat. Several folks have had luck with them, and the largest I've been able to find record of having been installed was approx 10x13x3.5, although I believe you could grab a bit of space and bring that up to about 10x16x4, depending on how good you are at clearancing space in that spot. That said, anything that big would really be pushing your luck.
As for routing, it's just a quick run of RCAs from the back of the headunit to the sub, and then tap into the power and grounds that you spliced first thing earlier. If it needs a remote on signal, you can grab that from Connector S7 pin 1.

Hope this helps someone else! Not gonna lie- with all of this info in various places across the internet I was super nervous to tackle this, but if I had been able to use a reference like this early on I probably would have done it weeks ago. Cheers!

So I got a stereo question.

What the hell makes the Mark Levinson so Mark Levinsony?

It's amazing for folk and Indian/Western classical music. I hear a lot more of the mid bass in this car than I do in other sound setups I have. On the other hand, it's pretty awful for really high distortion, highly abrasive rock of various kinds. That kind of music sounds pretty bad.

WHY?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom