Painting/refinishing front grill?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
Has anyone here painted their front grill? Mine looks as though it has been sandblasted over time and has some fading areas. It has definitely seen its better days.

Any pics of stock grills that have been painted? I’ve tried to get an aftermarket grill, but no success yet….so maybe I’ll just refinish mine and cover the chrome, etc.

I used plastidip on a 4Runner I used to have, but would prefer another product, but not 100% against it either.

I have considered it. I was looking for a good used grille, but the ones I see are around $400 with the same skuffs as the one I currently have. Not sure what the paint code is but that would be a start. I don’t like plastic dip for this application. I think it would chip pretty quickly.

I have considered it. I was looking for a good used grille, but the ones I see are around $400 with the same skuffs as the one I currently have. Not sure what the paint code is but that would be a start. I don’t like plastic dip for this application. I think it would chip pretty quickly.
It has been several years since I used plastidip on that grill, but I remember it being ‘just ok’. It peeled a little, but nothing crazy. I might just pull the grill off, scuff it all up, prime it and matte black it out.

I think you won’t like that much black in the grille.

It is easy. Take it off, sand with 320 grit thoroughly, wipe with acetone, use a suitable metal primer x2, then paint it with what you want. Use a 2k rattle can to finish if you want clear gloss. I've done it several times. Holds up well. Eventually gets nicks, but easy enough to fix.

The LX grille chrome is part of the Lexus “prestige” I personally would want that to stay otherwise in my opinion, it would look like every other older Lexus. And I don’t wNt that look.

258FCA4F-A83B-4479-A4A1-72898E9ECA28.jpeg

The grille on my old truck was disassembled and painted by the prior owner.

This looks like a match for the front grille. I might try to sand, tape, and paint....

Dupli-Color BTY1600 Graphite Gray Pearl Toyota Exact-Match Automotive Paint

I posted some pics of what I did here. I used Rustoleum black wheel paint and clear coat and the grey areas was Rustoleum Metallic grey.

Hey I love it. But I would want to balance that much black in the front with something in the back and I don’t want to do that.
May or may not make sense….🤪

Hey I love it. But I would want to balance that much black in the front with something in the back and I don’t want to do that.
May or may not make sense….🤪
you can’t see the front and the back at the same time. While I do NOT like the chrome, the upper and lower grill (in black) is bookended by chrome. I like the top to bottom match In front. I’ve done nothing to the back (except deleted the V8 emblem)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom