J60 Glove Box Replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This lighting thing may be asking a lot during the prototype phase. I'm just thinking out loud. Feel free to worry about that down the road or tell people they can make their own solution.
Agreed, these first prototypes will have the hole for the stock light. The "upgraded " light will come later.

I was able to get a glove box ran on the CNC and tacked up. I need to powder some wheels so I will batch them together with the glove boxes. These new ones are smaller in width due to the various opening sizes where the glove box goes and I added an angle at the back to help clear the air duct hoses.

For those who are helping with testing these in your cruisers I will be contacting you soon.

IMG_5257.jpg

@mr2m1 I’m a year and a half into making some 60 Series products and I’ve run into this same exact thing. The US-spec 60 that “was the same” from 81-87 actually had a whole lot of very small changes year to year. I’ve had the same thing happen where I make a product for my truck that I’m happy with, go to install it in another 60 and it doesn’t work, so I scratch my head.

Once you figure out the difference issues I’d gladly participate in a survey: send you photo of the area in question along with the month/year on the build plate. First you gotta figure out what the differences are - the wire bundle in back shortening your depth is one. Maybe a bend of the sheet metal dash is changed by a few degrees or the mounting holes are off. Happy to send a photo of mine (1982) if it helps at this stage.

To your point. I have a Sept 85 built 60. I ordered one of Joeys fire extinguisher mounts and it didn’t fit at all. After him and I went back and forth I ended up sending it back. I think he stopped doing the 60 mount because of this maybe. I wish I’d gotten one of his glove box inserts but it might have ended up with the same results, not fitting certain years. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I’d be in to this one. I like boxes that lock.

To your point. I have a Sept 85 built 60. I ordered one of Joeys fire extinguisher mounts and it didn’t fit at all. After him and I went back and forth I ended up sending it back. I think he stopped doing the 60 mount because of this maybe. I wish I’d gotten one of his glove box inserts but it might have ended up with the same results, not fitting certain years. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I’d be in to this one. I like boxes that lock.
Yep, little things like whether the seat mounting bolts are straight across or offset. I too ordered that fire extinguisher mount and it also didn’t fit. It was the “81-84” version and it had offset mounting holes - all of the early (pre-85) trucks I’ve had & seen, the seat mounting holes are straight across from each other. I was not able to do a return so I just gave it to my buddy who has a 1987 FJ60. Fit his truck perfectly.

There’s a million little things like that. On the cargo panels I make there are three variations of the panel shape just where it goes around the seat back latch. There are three variations of the entire right side panel outline, and two for the left side.

Another example is choke indicators on 81-82 trucks. The orange lens is there on the dash but there’s nothing behind it - no indicator. Same with 4WD on 81-81. No indicator.

Ok, tangent over. Carry on!

Finally a solution to a long overdue problem, let me know when they are available

Finally a solution to a long overdue problem, let me know when they are available
If you are interested I'll send you one for free, you pay the shipping from Stanwood, WA. I'm still in the development stage and sent a few earlier designs to a few other MUD members. Since then I've made some minor changes to the angles of the sides and the width of the bottom slots and I would like to see how they fit on another cruiser.

If you are interested I'll send you one for free, you pay the shipping from Stanwood, WA. I'm still in the development stage and sent a few earlier designs to a few other MUD members. Since then I've made some minor changes to the angles of the sides and the width of the bottom slots and I would like to see how they fit on another cruiser.
Would still love to test … or buy one when they are ready. 1982 60.

@mr2m1
When do you think you’ll be selling them? I’d grab one for the parts pile for my ‘88 62.

@mr2m1
When do you think you’ll be selling them? I’d grab one for the parts pile for my ‘88 62.
Unfortunately I don't have a time frame but I plan on running the redesign next week and test fitting it into my cruiser. If the redesign looks good I'll send it to someone else for fitment and feedback. If I'm comfortable with all that then I might offer these for sale for a discounted price until I'm confident that everyone will be happy with their purchase.

In the meantime I'm in the middle of a bumper build for someone right now but plan to jump back onto the glove boxes after that.

IMG_5743.JPEG

IMG_5753.JPEG

J100-OBJ v53.png

When you think you are comfortable do lmk. I passed earlier on a test fit as didn't know how long it would take me to get to it (I collect projects faster than I perform them) so would feel more comfortable as a paying customer to not leave you hanging. They look great from what I have seen, really impressive work!

Jason sent me one of these boxes and, overall, I'm impressed. Super stout box, nice finish. Only thing is metal objects kept in the glove box will rattle a bit while on the road without a pad of some sort. I just used a bit of extra carpet. Fit is very good, just some minor fiddling with the latch to get it perfect.

IMG_9794 2.JPG

IMG_9796 2.JPG

IMG_9798 2.JPG

IMG_9801 2.JPG

Jason sent me one of these boxes and, overall, I'm impressed. Super stout box, nice finish. Only thing is metal objects kept in the glove box will rattle a bit while on the road without a pad of some sort. I just used a bit of extra carpet. Fit is very good, just some minor fiddling with the latch to get it perfect.
Thanks for the review I appreciate it. Those photos look great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom