Help with stereo HJ61 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I’m looking to find the period correct stereo/tape unit for my HJ61. Any help much appreciated
6E84D580-1B27-4FE1-86B3-C6365EAD2C14.jpeg

If your 61 is Australian then you'll be looking for one of these.

They're not impossible to find but they don't come up that often.

I found mine on Gumtree. But the FM band doesn't work. I have taken it to a electronics repair man to try and fix it but I have my doubts about him!

It looks great when it's installed. It's just not really practical. A modern one with Bluetooth and a reverse camera for hooking up trailers would be way more practical.

But I'm trying to keep mine period correctish

20221025_192622.jpg

20221029_212502.jpg

Thanks for that. I know what you mean, I went the period correct look, but maybe I should find something modern with old school looks

unless you are restoring this vehicle to factory settings just get a modern headunit with bluetooth and be happy.

unless you are restoring this vehicle to factory settings just get a modern headunit with bluetooth and be happy.
sorry i know its been a couple weeks but i just stumbled across this thread and am a new owner of an HJ61 thats 24v. It has the original stereo like pictured above but it no longer works. Is the stereo itself 24 volt or is there a 12v converter somewhere along the line? i need to put a more modern head unit in.

sorry i know its been a couple weeks but i just stumbled across this thread and am a new owner of an HJ61 thats 24v. It has the original stereo like pictured above but it no longer works. Is the stereo itself 24 volt or is there a 12v converter somewhere along the line? i need to put a more modern head unit in.
In wiring diagram there is a converter. I have not found it on my rig and the factory stereo plug did not work either. May finnish poor spec vehicles did not have factory converter. Here a separate converter was installed on firewall by the importer. I installed a small, modern separate converter inside the dash.

Hi,
I’m looking to find the period correct stereo/tape unit for my HJ61. Any help much appreciated
View attachment 3294843

12V

or

24V

???

all these are 12V

ALL the BLACK face ones here are period correct

a few are NOS

this first one is a very unique FJ62 single DIN NOS

brackets here too :)

830DB7CA-4C1D-4505-8FD2-DCCDE57FA9F8.jpeg
C4B2AD5E-419B-4801-9C2D-00B49D634E6C.jpeg
887D5D4F-B72C-44FF-A181-A749DB7A39D2.jpeg
A89895EC-675F-4A66-BE57-EFBD6B4785F7.jpeg

52246A44-7061-4D8C-B5E3-01EA9B54BC9B.jpeg

Last edited:
I got my radio back off the electronics man, and he fixed it! He said there was a broken connection on the FM tuner. We tested the tape deck it didn't work, along with the number 5 button.

20230420_181636.jpg

He reckons both will be super easy to fix. I was too impatient and wanted the radio back. It took him 8 weeks to get around to fixing the FM. Who knows how long it will take him to get around to fixing the rest of it!

Next time I have my car off the road for a bit of time when I'm doing the suspension I'll take it back and get him to fix it.

He says the whole thing is super simple and repairable. Like any electronics guy he is a bit strange and super eccentric.

I'm rapt it works properly now. It looks awesome. I have a little FM bluetooth transmitter that you can see in the cigarette plug. It works really well and doeent stand out much. It cost me next to nothing off Ebay. I may wire in a hidden USB port in the future so I can hide it away.

The sound quality is surprisingly good too. For some reason the previous owner has cut away the factory subwoofer, so I'm trying to track one down. I still have the amp and all the wiring for it.

Hey crew have been working through the rats nest inside the dash trying to get the rear speakers up on the roof working.
I have discovered a few 24v female plugs behind the stereo - one constant power and two off the ignition. I assume these were from the original stereo? One of them also appears to power the factory rear sub in the passenger side of boot which also wasn’t working.
Does this also power the speakers above in the rear or are they wired separately?
Does anyone have any wiring specs of the original stereo system?
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom