How to remove the stuck gears from a gearbox shaft (dried oil). Advice appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I‘ve decided to use a NOS gearbox for my car. The gearbox stored 40 years somewhere…
7B8A4FEC-1D1E-4FEE-9BCB-310B21670350.jpeg

I have to replace the input shaft (FJ to BJ) and slightly refresh the surface rust.

The gearbox cover was easy
4DE2811A-5E23-4B6C-9686-E8E70C9050B4.jpeg

I was lucky to find all SST equipment and to reassemble the gearbox
4604DAEE-F1B5-46CB-AB03-BC81E6B9CE6D.jpeg

3F2C4737-6966-4BC0-AE9D-A5A93F9FC9C8.jpeg

Where I was not so lucky, it is to move the gears from the shaft. Dried oil works like glue :(
No hammer / no SST / no press.
Any ideas how to tackle this problem? Bathing in ATF or solvent/ hot water / heat gun up to 150grad C?

May be someone had a similar experience? I appreciate the advice.

I have to replace the input shaft (FJ to BJ)

Are you replacing the input shaft or the output shaft? The picture you show with the puller on it, is the output shaft.

Here’s a pic of the removed input shaft on my 4 speed H42.
12a.jpeg

If the only thing holding the gears on the shaft is oil, yes a solvent is best. You can warm it to help speed the process, but most solvents are flammable so you need to check the ignition temperature first. If oil isn't what is holding it on, you need a puller or press to do the job correctly.

Be very careful with flame or high heat, since the gears are heat treated. Unless you are going to toss them, then go ahead and anneal them.

If the only thing holding the gears on the shaft is oil, yes a solvent is best. You can warm it to help speed the process, but most solvents are flammable so you need to check the ignition temperature first. If oil isn't what is holding it on, you need a puller or press to do the job correctly.

Be very careful with flame or high heat, since the gears are heat treated. Unless you are going to toss them, then go ahead and anneal them.
Thanks!

Leave the shaft in a bath of diesel overnight.
Diesel is unfriendly to the Nature.
I’ve decided to use a heat gun with a sensor: heating up to 60-70 grad Celsius + plastic hammer.
39E54CBE-DA0B-4AC5-BC3C-540924BFDDD9.jpeg

Now the gears are cleaned & oiled
5350130D-6C98-44A2-BDDC-22C78DC9F926.jpeg

For those who have a similar issue: heating up to 60-65 grad works great! I’ve used 500 grad Celsius hot air, heating each gear gently, constantly turning a shaft, checking the heat distribution. When the temperature is reached, you need to gently tap the gear with a plastic hammer while turning the shaft.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom