Opinions on undercarriage pictures 2006 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm currently looking for a 2003-2006 land cruiser and received these pictures from the dealer. I'm curious about the level of work required to repair the damage, if it's even possible, or if I should pass on this vehicle.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image11.jpeg

image7.jpeg

Those first 2 pictures look awful, the actual frame looks in good shape but its never good when you can see through the unibody.

Those first 2 pictures look awful, the actual frame looks in good shape but its never good when you can see through the unibody.

That's why I went ahead and made a post. Normally when you have rust through the unibody, the rest of the truck is destined for the trash heap. But the rest of the truck looks pretty good, so Idk what's happening here.

It is strange. Usually the frame is attached first and unibody is clean.
It does look like it has been coated with something (my unibody is same colour as rest of the bodywork) as it appears black.

Is it just these two spots ? How is the rest of the frame. If local, i would see it in person.

Strange one... overall the frame and underside look really clean except for that one area. Maybe that area is in the rear where the A/C unit is, and it has a clogged drain? that's my guess.

It is strange. Usually the frame is attached first and unibody is clean.
It does look like it has been coated with something (my unibody is same colour as rest of the bodywork) as it appears black.

Is it just these two spots ? How is the rest of the frame. If local, i would see it in person.
The rust appears to only be in these two spots, and the rest of the frame is solid. I'm expecting a report back from the Lemon Squad in the next few days.

If the rust is localized to these two spots, do you think it would be worth it to try and repair the damage to the body, or would you pass on the truck?

I would want to see the rest of the truck and the condition its in. I wouldn't immediately pass.

Definitely repairable and, as others have said, the frame looks good. That is in the area of the AC drains and is where dirt/debris from the cowl fall down to and collect which causes rust like that. Check the bottom of the front fenders adjacent to that section of inner rocker panel. They may be filled with mud. IMO as long as you can clean that debris out and keep it clean, that isn't a huge deal.

Just beware there are some electrical connectors/boxes right behind/above where you have that hole on the drivers side next to the cab mount. That is beneath the dead pedal inside which kind of contains the aforementioned electrics. Inspect those for corrosion and seal up the hole in the floor so that they do not get damaged by water intrusion. From the angle of these photos I can't see it there's a hole through the floor (just behind the visibly rusted panel) on not yet.

If it seems like a fair deal I wouldn't be too alarmed by the rust in that location personally. That said, the tolerance for rust in TX is different than in ME and rightfully so.

Definitely repairable and, as others have said, the frame looks good. That is in the area of the AC drains and is where dirt/debris from the cowl fall down to and collect which causes rust like that. Check the bottom of the front fenders adjacent to that section of inner rocker panel. They may be filled with mud. IMO as long as you can clean that debris out and keep it clean, that isn't a huge deal.

Just beware there are some electrical connectors/boxes right behind/above where you have that hole on the drivers side next to the cab mount. That is beneath the dead pedal inside which kind of contains the aforementioned electrics. Inspect those for corrosion and seal up the hole in the floor so that they do not get damaged by water intrusion. From the angle of these photos I can't see it there's a hole through the floor (just behind the visibly rusted panel) on not yet.

If it seems like a fair deal I wouldn't be too alarmed by the rust in that location personally. That said, the tolerance for rust in TX is different than in ME and rightfully so.
I really appreciate this response. Being from Texas, anything beyond minor surface rust is alarming to me!

This is why the forums are amazing, this type of knowledge just isn't available anywhere else on the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom