Builds Jacks 40 to fake 45 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking great! You planning on seam sealing the tray at all?

Yes. I need to get the whole thing primed and do the body filler. Then after sanding and touching up the filler, I will seam seal the box. Then another coat of primer.
Ahh OK cool, can never remember what comes first, paint or sealer

My helpers showed up and we flipped the bed. Got the top side all primed and ready for filler and sanding........

20230416_120952.jpg
20230416_121019.jpg

Amazing what you have accomplished in such a short time. Pure inspiration!

Thanks for that. It's really not that tough, you just gotta stick to getting it done. Make small goals and achieve them. This keeps the motivation up.
Like after work today.....I got some filler spread around. Now it can cure while I go watch the boob tube.

20230417_180345.jpg

It has been a long time since I've done any body work. One of the things I remember though is some fillers dry hard as a rock and sand the same. Others will set enough to allow sanding and come off fairly easy. Good luck finishing things up.

This first coat of filler is definitely tougher to sand then regular Bondo. It's supposed to be very strong with the fiberglass though.
I started to knock it down and quickly ran out of sanding disc's. My body supplies are arriving tomorrow, so I am done till then.

20230418_175245.jpg

I'm kind of nearing this stage as well...and you are doing a path I hadn't quite considered. My tub is currently
blasted and nearing finish on sheet metal work. The order I was considering.

1. Fill light voids with filler/bondo and sand
2. Coat with epoxy primer
3. Seam seal
4. Single stage color
5. Wet sand anything I screw up in (4) and respray that bit.

You seem to have gone to (2) first but are also stating that you'll do another coat of primer (starting back at my 1)?
If there are pros and cons of doing things in different orders...I'd much appreciate hearing them.

BTW....LOVE THE BUILD. Following it with great interest.

I did an initial primer coat to seal everything and have a clean blank canvas. It makes seeing all the problem areas better. Then filler and seam sealer. Then I will prime again so everything is a uniform color and surface before I top coat with paint.
Not sure if that's the proper way, but it works for me. Also, I don't wet sand as this is going to be a wheeler and will get some desert pin stripping after use.

Thanks again for that.

Quick tip.......when I start to get burned out on a project or that phase of it. I jump around and work on other things for instant gratification. Helps keep the batteries charged.
So tonight instead of sanding and filler. I clean, prepped and painted a few items. Easy peasy and more stuff is done.
20230420_183452.jpg

20230420_183458.jpg
20230420_191046.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom