Steering pop/click when turning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have about 300 miles on my newly re-assembled fj40 and so a few things are still being dialed in.

I have a rebuilt steering box and new rods/linkages on a fairly stock suspension 1974.

Using 16inch City Racer steelies with the Yokohama Geolandar 235 85 /16 so nothing dramatic.

Handles nice but do notice a subtle pop/click felt through the steering wheel at low speed turning and occasionally at speed while banking.

Nothing bad but more of a settling movement per turn.

Obviously these are old trucks and there's a lot of complexity in the linkages so wasn't sure if this was normal or something that should be addressed or dialed in.

If addressable what is the likely culbprit?

Michael

When parked have someone turn the wheel and watch all the linkages and find the pop. Likely culprit is tie rod ends, or could also be the leaf springs where they attach at the shackles to the frame.

Have you checked the spring pin fit into the hole in the spring perch? If the pin is undersize or hole is oversize and the U-bolts are not holding like they should the spring could be moving.

I had a similar feel and it was wiped out shackle bushings letting the springs slide around. All were no great shakes so do 'em all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom