82 BJ60 - week 1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, new here. So just picked up my new 1982 BJ60 last weekend and spent a little time going over it this past week. Loving it so far. Lots to learn, lots of work to be done. Looking forward to it. Here's a little before and after with a little elbow grease.

20230416_125720.jpg

20230422_144720.jpg

Hey all, new here. So just picked up my new 1982 BJ60 last weekend and spent a little time going over it this past week. Loving it so far. Lots to learn, lots of work to be done. Looking forward to it. Here's a little before and after with a little elbow grease.

View attachment 3304954

View attachment 3304955

do you have the G / GLOW feature step in your ignition key cylinder switch / lock ?

Yes I have a glow plug indicator light that comes on when you turn key to on position. Thought that would be standard. No?

Welcome ! Dan at 4wheel auto is straight up if you need anything. Just some info. for you.
If you have the 5 speed you will get 700km per tank around town and highway, likely higher on the highway close to 860km.
If you get poor milage then look at your injectors, Talk to Dan for replacement. Easy to replace but you must tork to proper spec or else your milage will be s*** poor even if you are of 1ft lb. !
Any questions post up or dm.
Enjoy ! ps. it's not a car so don't expect it to be fast ! long lasting Yes, Fast - no !

It’s slow. But you will like it.

Looks like good potential on this one. For a Canadian truck it looks decent. How's the frame? If this is an early '82, this would have a few early-year specific treats like a 4 speed transmission, vinyl flooring, and bench seats. Let's see some interior shots.

Welcome ! Dan at 4wheel auto is straight up if you need anything. Just some info. for you.
If you have the 5 speed you will get 700km per tank around town and highway, likely higher on the highway close to 860km.
If you get poor milage then look at your injectors, Talk to Dan for replacement. Easy to replace but you must tork to proper spec or else your milage will be s*** poor even if you are of 1ft lb. !
Any questions post up or dm.
Enjoy ! ps. it's not a car so don't expect it to be fast ! long lasting Yes, Fast - no !
Thanks for the info, yes I will be speaking with Dan for sure. I've got a 4spd so from what I understand yes it's going to be slow but that's the charm right? Thanks for the offer, I will be in touch in the future I am sure.

Looks like good potential on this one. For a Canadian truck it looks decent. How's the frame? If this is an early '82, this would have a few early-year specific treats like a 4 speed transmission, vinyl flooring, and bench seats. Let's see some interior shots.
Yes so I have been looking for a while for a 60. Totally preparing to head to the states because of you know.... rust. And then this one popped up in my own backyard. It needs some rust repair for sure but it's all on the exterior and much better than most. interior, frame, drive train are mint though and it is totally stock and original which I love. I do have the 4speed, and thankfully buckets and carpet. Here's a few pics for you.

20230424_082258.jpg

20230424_082433.jpg

20230424_082512.jpg

20230424_082445.jpg

20230424_082534.jpg

Excellent. Very good find!👍

Yes so I have been looking for a while for a 60. Totally preparing to head to the states because of you know.... rust. And then this one popped up in my own backyard. It needs some rust repair for sure but it's all on the exterior and much better than most. interior, frame, drive train are mint though and it is totally stock and original which I love. I do have the 4speed, and thankfully buckets and carpet. Here's a few pics for you.

View attachment 3306085

View attachment 3306086

View attachment 3306087

View attachment 3306088

View attachment 3306089
Damn, what a clean interior! Obviously not a single passenger has ever ridden in there and it's always been in a garage. Pretty amazing.

So... I've wanted a steering wheel like that for a long time. I've heard those only came on non-power-steering 81-82 Canadian spec BJ60s. Does this truck fall into that category? I'm also curious if that steering wheel would fit the steering shaft splines on a power-steering-equipped BJ or FJ60.

And yes I know 40s got a steering wheel like that, but they're black and wouldn't match my interior. The brown variant apparently only came on the aforementioned trucks.

Thanks for the info, yes I will be speaking with Dan for sure. I've got a 4spd so from what I understand yes it's going to be slow but that's the charm right? Thanks for the offer, I will be in touch in the future I am sure.

The BJ60 has charm that no other landcruiser has.

Steve at EBI is great also.

Looks like you've found a unicorn, i.e. an early Canadian BJ60 that isn't completely rusted away!

Be sure to join our Alberta/Western Canada Land Cruiser group on Facebook if you like.

Lots of people in the Edmonton area with knowledge and skills if you need them.

Damn, what a clean interior! Obviously not a single passenger has ever ridden in there and it's always been in a garage. Pretty amazing.

So... I've wanted a steering wheel like that for a long time. I've heard those only came on non-power-steering 81-82 Canadian spec BJ60s. Does this truck fall into that category? I'm also curious if that steering wheel would fit the steering shaft splines on a power-steering-equipped BJ or FJ60.

And yes I know 40s got a steering wheel like that, but they're black and wouldn't match my interior. The brown variant apparently only came on the aforementioned trucks.
Yep, no power steering on this one, really takes me back driving it for sure. The wheel has a good feel and its steers.easy enough. No idea on the compatability of the steering shaft, but it did cross my mind to look into the possibility of adding power steering at some point.

I have an 81 BJ60. Power steering, upgraded to 5 speed, minimal rust. Mouldy interior. Another lucky find.

bj/fj40 steering wheel is actually larger I believe.

Yep, no power steering on this one, really takes me back driving it for sure. The wheel has a good feel and its steers.easy enough. No idea on the compatability of the steering shaft, but it did cross my mind to look into the possibility of adding power steering at some point.
Others have gone with Saginaw and been dissappointed, why wouldn't you go with Toyota ? Dan likely has parts or some of the other Cruiser outfitters in B.C. Standard steering can be fine if it is well greased and your not going off road. Go off-road and a few trips later you'll sell yourself of the upgrade. Perhaps someone can chime in on how many miles they get with the 4 speed ?

bj/fj40 steering wheel is actually larger I believe.
Outer diameter is larger I’ve heard, to aid in leverage. If the splines fit though…. I’d rock it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom