New Member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

Thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself & 80 series
My neighbor finally let this thing go after 24 years of ownership. He bought it barely used and raised his family in it. 223K Michigan miles. Pretty clean overall, it's the collectors edition with lockers. I'm a huge Toyota fan (and employee), so I'm thrilled to have picked it up. It's been sitting for quite a few years but the previous owner took really good care of it.
I'm in process of rebuilding the factory exhaust system -> Magnaflow + OEM. Saggy factory springs/absorbers are being replaced with a set of Dobinsons +.75"

This forum has NAILED every area this thing needs attention in. Have done all the basic service along with the valve cover gasket & 1 rotted brake line. The rabbit hole is too deep, so thought I'd stop there and drive it around until I find the weak links. HUGE THANKS TO THE GOOD FOLKS HERE.

My other ride is a '12 FJ Cruiser that my wife bought new and had plenty of good times with the AZFJ group out in Arizona and Colorado mountains near Ouray/Telluride... that was before we had kids and real jobs.... 3" lift and some good protection is all that one has.

My goal for this ride is to put it back on the street as a daily (year goal) and work out any issues prior to planting the offroad bug the little ones - I have 3 girls, so I push any piston bug I can. FJ + Car seats don't fly... might as well be a 911 ;) I'm big on sportbikes and have a good history there but am seeking other ways to scratch that itch... relatively safely.

And yes, it came with the Danica Patrick oil catcher. And yes, too many things in the small garage. Working on it.

Welcome! Been here for 2x hundreds and a 200. Lots and lots of good info. Now, like you, I’m deep into the 80 world and fixing all the standard neglected things. Good luck 👍

On YouTube, otramm is a very helpful resource.

Welcome! Been here for 2x hundreds and a 200. Lots and lots of good info. Now, like you, I’m deep into the 80 world and fixing all the standard neglected things. Good luck 👍

On YouTube, otramm is a very helpful resource.
Thanks Banjo! I appreciate the tip too, I am not sure I've run across those videos yet but I'll be sure to look into them.
Cheers to IH8Maintenance

Welcome to Mud, Luke. I have a 91 80 so a bit different than yours engine wise. If you haven't already, flush all the fluids and do a good baseline/tune up. This place is an amazing resource. Hope you enjoy your new (to you) 80!

Matt

Welcome to Mud, Luke. I have a 91 80 so a bit different than yours engine wise. If you haven't already, flush all the fluids and do a good baseline/tune up. This place is an amazing resource. Hope you enjoy your new (to you) 80!

Matt
Thanks Matt, I have found some awesome info here so far and got access to the FSM as well. Can't ask for much more!
Shy of the coolant, I think I covered the basics - had a swap a brake line, so even the brake fluid got a little love. I probably wouldn't have found the fifth bleeder nipple without the lessons passed on through this site. It's a good place to be! Hope I can contribute at some point.

IMG_2909.jpeg

Y-pipe is looking solid! Exhaust almost complete. Muffler was missing both mounts and the tailpipe was not salvageable. Then of course the cats were leaking… here I am. Y-pipe to manifold hardware wasn’t bad. Somehow.

Nice find. Your in trouble now!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom