obsolete part reproduction interest (1 Viewer)

how many ppl would commit for a pair of these

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the water soluble support and been testing it over the last few days. My prints with the two materials and dual independent heads are starting to look really good. Almost finished product worthy but not quite. My last hurdle is oozing. Basically as one head (the rubber filament) is printing the other head (water-soluble filament) is hot and sitting idle. I am getting oozing out of the nozzle that then drips onto the part as the next head jumps into the print. It's basiclaly giving me freckles all over the part. I ordered some anti-ooze plates that step in and plug the head while sitting idle. Ordered those about an hour ago. Once those are installed, I am pretty confident we will have a quality looking rubber part that does everything it needs to do including being installed without any tools or removal of anything on the steering column. I will probably need one more week before I have that final prototype.; fingers crossed. For those of you who have zero clue as to what I just said; sorry. Just trying to keep everyone in the loop on progress. Basically, I need one more week before we should have a quality prototype to show off.

I think with all things in life…. Oozing = bad.

Thanks for the work on this totally random part that is NLA and never was in most of our cruisers, yet we want it.

Got the water soluble support and been testing it over the last few days. My prints with the two materials and dual independent heads are starting to look really good. Almost finished product worthy but not quite. My last hurdle is oozing. Basically as one head (the rubber filament) is printing the other head (water-soluble filament) is hot and sitting idle. I am getting oozing out of the nozzle that then drips onto the part as the next head jumps into the print. It's basiclaly giving me freckles all over the part. I ordered some anti-ooze plates that step in and plug the head while sitting idle. Ordered those about an hour ago. Once those are installed, I am pretty confident we will have a quality looking rubber part that does everything it needs to do including being installed without any tools or removal of anything on the steering column. I will probably need one more week before I have that final prototype.; fingers crossed. For those of you who have zero clue as to what I just said; sorry. Just trying to keep everyone in the loop on progress. Basically, I need one more week before we should have a quality prototype to show off.
your dedication to getting this done deserves commending
👍 👍

Time for another update:
The last two weeks got a bit crazy. The tax return season hit us hard. Folks started getting their refunds and sales took off. We had to pull our machine that was printing prototypes for the steering column insert and put it back on the assembly line until we got caught up. We are back to normal and the machine is back into prototyping. Our latest hurdle right now is finding the correct solvent and application to smooth out the 3D printed lines in the rubber. Sanding it is not an option. Heat deforms the part (so we learned) so chemical smoothing is our only option. We have tried 3 solvents and only one had promising results. We tried dipping the part, spraying the part, brushing on the solvent, and event creating a heat mist bath. The best results were from actually brushing it on. It allowed for the most solvent to be applied at once. The down side is that our solvent proof gloves are melting. (not so solvent proof). We had to switch to leather gloves. Here is a pic of the insert with a single brush on pass. It is going to take 4-5 passes to get it totally smooth. This is NOT a product ready part. Do NOT think the final product will look like this. Just showing the process. We have to get this part smoothed out a lot more and then test fitted. Each pass has to fully cure (about an hour) before we can take another pass at it. I should have a final part with 4-5 passes in the next couple days. Hopefully it will be really smooth and ready for test fitting. Here is a side by side of before and after one brush on pass of solvent. We will keep doing a brush on solvent pass until we get the results we want.

PXL_20230420_145705731.jpg

Last edited:
Dude....what a pain in ass

Brad, I admire your dedication to getting this done, but I don’t think this is ever going to be profitable or anywhere close. I don’t want you to bankrupt your business for this project.

Brad, I admire your dedication to getting this done, but I don’t think this is ever going to be profitable or anywhere close. I don’t want you to bankrupt your business for this project.
It wont bankrupt me. I have developed MANY products over the years. I fully understand the process. This one is bigger than just this single product. I have a line of items I would like to start making out of rubber. This is my learning curve for numerous products. What I learn hear on these small parts will get applied to other projects on much larger parts. I would rather mess us these small steering column inserts instead of messing up parts that take 60-70 hours to print. It's the perfect little part to learn about printing and chemically smoothing rubber.

Hello,

Stupid question.

Is it possible to print the part in a hard plastic and then make a mold out of it? Then it would be possible to cast, say, silicon rubber, into the mold and get the part.

Just curious.

Juan

Hello,

Stupid question.

Is it possible to print the part in a hard plastic and then make a mold out of it? Then it would be possible to cast, say, silicon rubber, into the mold and get the part.

Just curious.

Juan
I have done silicone molds in the past by using 3D printed parts as the master. The problem is that the molds break down around 10-15 parts and a new mold has to be made again. The time and cost to continually make new molds quickly gets higher than just 3D printing the part out of a similar rubber. If you only need a dozen parts total then the mold making option is pretty good but when you need repeated batches every couple weeks then the process becomes a HUGE pita.

So my part finisher just brought me a couple of the inserts. These went through 4 brush-on solvent treatments each. You can see the one part that is fresh off a machine for comparison. The parts had a real ugly high gloss finish which was annoying me so I had our painter toss some plasti-dip on them. We are also going to look into bead-blasting them to get a more matte finish instead of the plasti-dip coating. I am not sure how well the plasti-dip will hold up. We will put it through some tests tomorrow to see how durable that is. Based on this pic, I think a 5th solvent coating will be needed. I am sure we will continue to get better at this process as we smooth more and more of them.

PXL_20230421_001914466.jpg

Hello,

Stupid question.

Just curious.

Juan

not stupid, i looked into it, the mold would run roughly 12k and i could do small batch orders from that. but for the small numbers i see selling, i wanted to see about 3D printing.

i am gratefull that BH3D wanted to give it a go.

Spot on. I have more appreciation for people who do stuff like this after the whole knob reproduction side project I did recently.

Figured it was time for an update. We went into production on these and got around 10 pairs made and then the Mother's Day rush slammed us. We had to pull that machine away from the rubber part production and back into our main assembly line. Even had to dust off some older retired machines to keep up with demand. For the last week we have been trying to get inventory back up to normal after the huge rush. We are 3-4 days out from being fully restocked in all items. At that point I will resume production on these steering column inserts. My goal is to get 20 pairs ready to ship before we launch them on our seller platforms. I'm also hopeful we can get these launched before the Father's Day rush begins.

I thought I would bring this back up from the dead since I am interested in a set. Maybe they were listed on the seller platforms and I missed it.

It's time to come out of hiding. The Mother's day rush slammed us. Right about the time we got caught up on orders and inventory we got slammed again with Father's day. We are just now getting caught up on inventory again. The machine that prints in rubber is back off the main assembly line and back to printing the column inserts. The 20th pair is actually printing right now. As soon as it's done it will go to my chemical guy who will start the smoothing process on all of them. This is a new product so I'm not sure of the timeline on smoothing 20 pairs. My guess is that I will have the batch back to me by the end of the week. I am tentatively planning to have these available to buy at the start of next week. I will update again this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom