Builds Rosie the 40 - Tilda Bogue Service Station (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is too pretty to squish under a windshield too but it’s gotta be done.

I’ve been piddling a bit trying to wrap my head around starting phase 2 this week.

Hung my new Ace Overland banner while I scratched my head at how to take 3 on the tree linkage out without using a sawzall 😬

C0ACFEA8-99E1-49A7-A3E8-012C4FCE18CA.jpeg

44DE1299-4596-4417-B6E9-358DCA0BD44F.jpeg

Made a drop at PowderKeg this morning and now I’m headed to the glass shop for a round of gaskets on the hard top

8839BA78-7366-4871-9CC3-F92CC7ABE259.jpeg

Brendon had someone rebuild this F motor using some really great old stock OEM parts.

Problem is, they kinda F’ed it up.

It’s got the freeze plugs in backwards and the valve cover cork is folded over. Rear main leaks.

It’s got to be resealed. While it’s out I’m sending the turd 3 speed and case to Georg @orangefj45 for a refresh/rebuild.

Some of the plugs are Welch plugs not freeze plugs. They are kind of funky.

Are you fixing that motor or replacing it?

Some of the plugs are Welch plugs not freeze plugs. They are kind of funky.

Are you fixing that motor or replacing it?
Fixing it for sure. It’s got all new OEM internals.

Brendon can explain.

Hoping I don’t have to do anything but reseal it.

Brendon had someone rebuild this F motor using some really great old stock OEM parts.

Problem is, they kinda F’ed it up.

It’s got the freeze plugs in backwards and the valve cover cork is folded over. Rear main leaks.

If they f'ed those things up, I'd be going through the whole thing. It's clear that attention to detail wasn't their thing.

If they f'ed those things up, I'd be going through the whole thing. It's clear that attention to detail wasn't their thing.

If “they” didn’t know how to install a freeze plug
I would be shocked if they did the harder parts of that right, quality of parts used notwithstanding.

You know what’s a lot harder than freeze plugs?
Bearing clearances and little things like piston rings

I hate to say it, but since I started working in the shop I've come to trust other people working on my vehicles even less than I did before. Even basic stuff - like keeping brake fluid sealed so it doesn't absorb water - is totally ignored. At first I spent time trying to educate people and finally just gave up. Unfortunately, it's the same thing I saw with contractors in Architecture. You wouldn't believe the corners they cut on things. I will say that there are genuine Craftsmen out there in both Contracting and Mechanicing, but you have to look - and know what you're looking for - with both.

Fixing it for sure. It’s got all new OEM internals.

Brendon can explain.

Hoping I don’t have to do anything but reseal it.
Well, in about late 2006/early 2007, it all started with a leaking head gasket......original engine had around 50-60K miles on it judging from the broken odometer and original TRE's and u-joints......After removal of the head, I noticed a hole in piston number 5....Being a newb to Land Cruisers and MUD, and also inexperienced my mentor at the time told me you are into it this far, might as well keep going......Marv Specter and I became very friendly, and I helped pay the mortgage there for a while, he graciously guided me in obtaining most of the available OEM internals, with exception of the .40 over pistons, that I dont recall where they were sourced....I contracted with Exton Performance in Canadensis, PA, who was a renowned dragster engine builder in our area....I watched him and helped him throughout the process, and there are many hi-lights and handwritten notes left in my F Engine manual....my in experience forgetting to source the freeze plugs was most likely the cause of them being incorrect.....@65swb45 hooked me up with his stash of NOS OEM plugs after pointing out the mistake.....just never had the time to replace them......and special thanks to @cruiserdan for obtaining the last OEM F Engine head gasket in the world! And special thanks and gratitude to @wngrog for taking on this project and willingly respecting my appreciation for the F and "turd" 3-Speed column shift........

Had to drag Rosie out to get the motor out of the shop.

Made and appointment with @RocketCityCrzrs for the first week in May for an overhaul.

Now I’m off to get a pallet together for the one eyed Austrian

A2A8E2E9-E8EF-4B3D-9AAE-00A3227D5B6D.jpeg

F2E787E5-61AC-404D-8FB4-27842909B318.jpeg

Well, in about late 2006/early 2007, it all started with a leaking head gasket......original engine had around 50-60K miles on it judging from the broken odometer and original TRE's and u-joints......After removal of the head, I noticed a hole in piston number 5....Being a newb to Land Cruisers and MUD, and also inexperienced my mentor at the time told me you are into it this far, might as well keep going......Marv Specter and I became very friendly, and I helped pay the mortgage there for a while, he graciously guided me in obtaining most of the available OEM internals, with exception of the .40 over pistons, that I dont recall where they were sourced....I contracted with Exton Performance in Canadensis, PA, who was a renowned dragster engine builder in our area....I watched him and helped him throughout the process, and there are many hi-lights and handwritten notes left in my F Engine manual....my in experience forgetting to source the freeze plugs was most likely the cause of them being incorrect.....@65swb45 hooked me up with his stash of NOS OEM plugs after pointing out the mistake.....just never had the time to replace them......and special thanks to @cruiserdan for obtaining the last OEM F Engine head gasket in the world! And special thanks and gratitude to @wngrog for taking on this project and willingly respecting my appreciation for the F and "turd" 3-Speed column shift........

I can’t delete my post please ignore

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom