Advice needed: Oil change and fluid flush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2003 with 280K miles. I have used Lexus shop (not dealer) for the past couple of oil changes - they are over $100 out the door. Do you guys recommend only going to a Lexus shop and paying the 3x premium? Or does it matter vs. a chain?

Also, how often are folks flushing all the fluids? Coolant, trans, power steering, etc.?

Our truck is a beast - bought it at the start of COVID and want to learn how to treat it well so it lasts and lasts....

Someone's going to respond - do it yourself. Which, not everyone can or wants to. I would not take it to a chain oil change place, without even using the interwebs between myself and close friends I know of several serious mistakes made by those types of places (too much oil, no oil, filter gasket, etc.). I buy my own synthetic (Kirkland) and take the truck to the dealer for the service. The oil is like $25 and the service with my own oil is about $40. They dispose of the oil and I get a car wash.

For the others, look in your manual, there are service intervals for that. Most of it is by sight, is the pink coolant looking brown, is the power steering fluid blackish not translucent, etc.

If you can do it yourself, its a great opportunity to look around the underside and inspect how everything is doing. My truck is my DD and an offroad adventure vehicle, so I put about 20k miles a year on it, and taking down the skid plates and inspecting everything 4 times a year is important. I rotate the tires and inspect the brakes and undercarriage at the same time. Wherever you take it, make sure they are greasing the driveshafts.

You'd be much better served by learning to change your own oil.
I have never taken any of my vehicles to a shop for oil change: In fact my 21 Taco came with free 2 services, which I didn't use either.

I am CEO of a tech startup with a 9 and 3 year old kids - so as much I would love to do it myself it is not in the cards. Maybe one day.

Sounds like it is a no to chain places and a yes to someone that is Lexus specific.

Thanks for the input.

I am CEO of a tech startup with a 9 and 3 year old kids - so as much I would love to do it myself it is not in the cards. Maybe one day.

Sounds like it is a no to chain places and a yes to someone that is Lexus specific.

Thanks for the input.

Doesn't need to be a Lexus specific shop. A good honest general repair shop can do most of the work on a 100 series. Being a self sufficient engaged problem solver is a mind set, one that will be helpful to you and your kids over the long term.

the 9 and 3 year olds would be great help in doing the services.
not a Lexus specific place, more semi older Toyota, or check with a local TLCA club and see if they have any ideas where to go.

don't use a chain lube place.

I would avoid the quick lube places with our vehicles. I know this doesn't apply to all of them but it really can be a s*** show, even just for oil. AND it probably wouldn't cost much less, my buddy just did his four runner at one and it costs 85 bucks or maybe closer to 100.

100 bucks every 5-7k miles for a mechanic who knows their way around your truck to change the oil isn't all that bad

There's also a lot of controversy on the term "flush". I'm in the drain and fill camp unless there's contamination. Power steering could be an exception if conditions are right.

I have used Tire Kingdom with good results. They dont do the other fluids tho. I would search for a local mechanic that a friend has used and recommends. Stay away from the quick lube places. I have had incorrect filters installed there and the oil leaked out. Never used them again...

Your service manual will have the required type and quantities to use.

Good luck! Not everyone has the time or want.

I am CEO of a tech startup with a 9 and 3 year old kids …..
You’re making enough money to pay for Lexus service- - I’d go that route

I would avoid the quick lube places with our vehicles. I know this doesn't apply to all of them but it really can be a s*** show, even just for oil. AND it probably wouldn't cost much less, my buddy just did his four runner at one and it costs 85 bucks or maybe closer to 100.

100 bucks every 5-7k miles for a mechanic who knows their way around your truck to change the oil isn't all that bad
I used to work for Valvoline Instant Oil Change and yeah it's a s*** show. Most employees are working under stress, New hires with no automotive experience. You'll be lucky to find a location with a A+ crew. And we HATED skid plates, I of course took my time to secure them- but most guys didn't give a s***. So glad i don't work there anymore.

I used to work for Valvoline Instant Oil Change and yeah it's a s*** show. Most employees are working under stress, New hires with no automotive experience. You'll be lucky to find a location with a A+ crew. And we HATED skid plates, I of course took my time to secure them- but most guys didn't give a s***. So glad i don't work there anymore.
Thanks for the report from the field. Glad you are out of there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom