Need help picking a transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a tough question. Never heard of the noise issue and could not find info regarding a common problem in 93 units. What did the 40 you drove have in it?

AFAIK 93 was the first year and should have the same gear set as a 94. AA says it was introduced in 92, so it's probably a model year designation of 93. Through deduction and research, mine is a 93/94 with a 95-up gear set with the 5.61 first gear. If you think the noise is going to be an issue you can't get past, then a 95 up is the one. However, 93/94 units seem favorable to the 4x4 crowd due to the 6.34 first gear.

The only "common" problem I knew of was mostly the Dodge diesel units and fifth gear coming loose on the main shaft, seemingly a long term, high torque vs load issue.

I run the 1st gen nv4500 with the 6.54:1 1st gear, SBC, & stk Tcase. I purchased the 40 in 96 and have only recently got it running. I've recently put about 1500 miles on it . The Trans and T/case is surprisingly silent. The only thing I noticed is you can easily pull it out of 3rd gear with slight pressure. IDK, if the trans and T/case has been rebuilt b4. I've never had a 40 without any driveline whine, until this one. I enjoy the heck out of driving it.

I bought my H55F brand new from Toyota for about $2500. I don’t understand why anyone would spend $3000 for a rebuilt GM transmission.

Because you can find new for about half of that or at least you used to back in 2014. :(

Last edited:
Because you can find new for about half of that or at least you used to back in 2014. :(

New OEM H55F transmission

Toyota Parts Deal shows a price of $2439. Olathe Toyota says $2396. I've done Google searches a few times and never found a new NV4500 advertised for sale. Rebuilt units appear to be about $2000 and up, plus the core. Maybe I'm just not good at searching.

My last project car before this 40 I traded a rifle for. The one before that was $500. Now both of those cars are $5k to $10k for a project.
I bought my H55F brand new from Toyota for about $2500. I don’t understand why anyone would spend $3000 for a rebuilt GM transmission.
Everything has skyrocketed. Who knew a 20 year-old Tacoma with a quarter million miles would fetch $20k now? But, the why is, that transmission was behind Cummins diesels, it's strong.

I read that on AA's website here:

First and only place I've seen that complaint. And AA doesn't mention it on the specifications page which has the most info describing the transmission, which is odd to me. Also AA specs the lube from GM and Mopar but, both are NLA most places. GM lube can be found on Amazon for $36 a quart. Use Redline MT-85, $18/quart.

New OEM H55F transmission

Toyota Parts Deal shows a price of $2439. Olathe Toyota says $2396. I've done Google searches a few times and never found a new NV4500 advertised for sale. Rebuilt units appear to be about $2000 and up, plus the core. Maybe I'm just not good at searching.
About the prices I'm finding. Can't find a new NV4500 because they stopped making them 15 or so years ago. Bought and rebuilt my own last year for under $1000 all in.

I just bought GM lube at $20 a quart from GM's parts online.

I just bought GM lube at $20 a quart from GM's parts online.
That's good. This is what I found last year and in recent searches.

GM Trans lube unavailable.JPG

Pic of inside of that case from San Bernardino

View attachment 3290259
Way better than mine looked. Mine had broken teeth in the input shaft gear and 4th gear on the counter shaft. Input shaft bearing retainer was boogered too. But mine was priced accordingly. If everything turns free without gritty noises, I'd buy it.

I missed out on that one, but found another on Ebay for the same price and seems to be in the same condition. I should be able to grab it this week. Only concern is that he says its from a 1993 and I thought I read somewhere that there are different boltpatterns for the early ones. I'll be calling AA in the morning to go over what I think I have and make sure their kit covers it.

I missed out on that one, but found another on Ebay for the same price and seems to be in the same condition. I should be able to grab it this week. Only concern is that he says its from a 1993 and I thought I read somewhere that there are different boltpatterns for the early ones. I'll be calling AA in the morning to go over what I think I have and make sure their kit covers it.
The bellhousing bolt pattern is different from 96 on. The dimensions should be in the links I attached. The earlier ones are closer together between the top and bottom bolt holes. People just drill new holes in the trans case and tap them, then run bolts in from the bellhousing side. As long as the index hole (the big one in the center) matches the bearing retainer on the transmission. AA bellhousing is drilled for both.

Last edited:
When I did my swap in '96, the NV4500 would have been my first choice had it not been for: 1) the cost at the time. 2) loss of 2nd gear.

Compared to a stock Toyota 4 speed, the NV4500: has a lower first gear, second's ratio is close to the Toyota 1st, third is comparable to Toyota 3rd, forth - forth, and fifth is an overdrive.

Wheeling I found I used second a lot and didn't want to loose that. Also, they were stupid expensive at the time.

Having been driving with a SBC for 27 years now... I've found its powerband is enough wider that loosing 2nd wouldn't be a great loss. And even $2500 isn't nearly so bad these days. So I'd say go for it. Perhaps use a centered diff and avoid using adapters. I'd guess an FJ rear axle or something similar would be easy to adapt to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom