Any Vise Collectors Here? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@RUSH55 Yeah. That was the idea. Gives off an anodized look that is kind of cool.

This is getting to be a bit of a hobby now. Columbian D43 M4. Before and after:
1681415388338.png

1681415451965.png

It's usually a pleasant little distraction getting these old tools back to work. Not too complicated and very forgiving. Sharp looking D series @Irish11 !

Saw this Simplex 33SJ and thought it needed a new home. It was welded to a stand so I had to cut the welds and clean up the mounting holes but it came out pretty good. I think this is a pretty rare vise, although rare doesn't always mean valuable. It has a 3 3/4 inch swivel jaw and weighs 36 pounds according to the vise spreadsheet. Still needs to be painted.
IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

A couple months ago I picked up a little Victor Jersey clamp on vise made by Stanley Level. I often move my "workbench" outside because my garage is small so I was looking for a vise to attach to the outside bench. Seems like it will work just fine for my needs.

VJ5.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

Saw this one posted Friday evening after I was done working on the Simplex. Listed for $400 which I would consider a really good deal. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it since I saw the ad right after it was posted. It would have just been a flip for me so I let it go to the next person.

WiltonSJ.jpg

Last edited:
Saw this Simplex 33SJ and thought it needed a new home. It was welded to a stand so I had to cut the welds and clean up the mounting holes but it came out pretty good. I think this is a pretty rare vise, although rare doesn't always mean valuable. It has a 3 3/4 inch swivel jaw and weighs 36 pounds according to the vise spreadsheet. Still needs to be painted.[

I saw that Simplex too. It was a score! Well done.

Great pieces @TomH ! LOVE the Simplex!!! That swivel jaw Wilton looked good too. a "little" undervalued but not really a "home run" for flipping purposes. Good to let those go to guys in need.

Saw this Simplex 33SJ and thought it needed a new home. It was welded to a stand so I had to cut the welds and clean up the mounting holes but it came out pretty good. I think this is a pretty rare vise, although rare doesn't always mean valuable. It has a 3 3/4 inch swivel jaw and weighs 36 pounds according to the vise spreadsheet. Still needs to be painted.View attachment 3299651
View attachment 3299653
View attachment 3299656

A couple months ago I picked up a little Victor Jersey clamp on vise made by Stanley Level. I often move my "workbench" outside because my garage is small so I was looking for a vise to attach to the outside bench. Seems like it will work just fine for my needs.

View attachment 3299658
View attachment 3299663

Saw this one posted Friday evening after I was done working on the Simplex. Listed for $400 which I would consider a really good deal. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it since I saw the ad right after it was posted. It would have just been a flip for me so I let it go to the next person.

View attachment 3299664
I saw that SJ come up. I thought about making an offer, but I have no doubt it went at full price. That's only the second one I've seen for sale in five years.

I saw that SJ come up. I thought about making an offer, but I have no doubt it went at full price. That's only the second one I've seen for sale in five years.
I saw that Simplex too. It was a score! Well done.
I didn't see it until it had been posted for about a day. I really didn't expect it to be available but took a chance. The steel in the stand was worth the $40 I paid for the vise. My son has already claimed the stand. We'll cut the top off so he can use it as a quench tank for his knife making adventures.

SimplexSJ33.jpg

Had a little time and weather cooperated for the most part so I was able to get some paint on the Simplex 33SJ. Looked like it was originally gray so I stuck with that color. I think one of the reasons people don't paint their vises is because it is a pain taping off the parts that don't get paint, especially with a swivel jaw.

IMG_1250.jpg
IMG_1251.jpg
IMG_1252.jpg
IMG_1253.jpg

a swivel jaw just makes me at peace and appreciating the goodness of life... :)

Looks good @TomH 👍🏼
There’s a little bit of an art to vise painting if you’re trying to make it look good - knowing what to paint and what not to paint. Color choice can be a little tricky too but the thing to take comfort in is that it’s a piece of cake to strip them back down again if you change your mind.

Picked up a pretty nice 1C. The ad says it moved a little stiff so probably needs grease but I think it's all of the paint on the slide lol
Does not have removable jaws like my 4c and 2c so think it's an older version?
Will strip it down and figure out what I want to do from there
Now I just need a 3C.

1c.jpg

Picked up a pretty nice 1C. The ad says it moved a little stiff so probably needs grease but I think it's all of the paint on the slide lol
Does not have removable jaws like my 4c and 2c so think it's an older version?
Will strip it down and figure out what I want to do from there
Now I just need a 3C.

View attachment 3307072
VERRY nice Reed. Usually the ones with the flattened-out hockey puck shaped spindle have the removeable jaws. The earlier ones with the round meatball style have cast in jaws like yours. you may have a transitional model. The manufacture date should be stamped into the side of the dynamic jaw or the static jaw base. this is the earlier style marked August of 1940.

3c8.jpg
3c date.jpg

3c2.jpg

Great catches @bhsdriller ! That baby is a real find. The swivel base babies are getting hard to find lately. Mind if I ask how you found it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom