Tall skinny tires (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3 Years since installation and haven't had any issues with the G003 (235/85 R16 on 16x6 0 offset OEM Steelies).

Most taut and civilized MT pattern tire I used from my humble experience.

No noticeable chipping, chunking nor cracking. I'll definitely get another set for my HJ61.

I likely regard to it as a "Maximum Traction" tire rather than a Mud Tire as it does so well on different terrain conditions and a major advantage is that it has great wet road performance compared to most MT Tires and even some AT Tires I've had experienced.

OEM Plus Look.

View attachment 3210949
@Rankle40 do you have a part number for those OEM rims. Been looking into 16in wagon wheels and haven’t had much luck. Would be interested to get a set of OEM 16in Toyota wagon wheels if they’re still for sale somewhere. Thanks

This is what I run on my '47 ford one ton pickup. Tornel 7.50 x 17 bias. 34" , not for everyone, but can't argue about tall and skinny.
tornel 7.50 x 17.JPG

This is what I run on my '47 ford one ton pickup. Tornel 7.50 x 17 bias. 34" , not for everyone, but can't argue about tall and skinny. View attachment 3295992
Sorry for the ignorance. Are tubes required for those tires, or can they be run tubeless? Neat looking tire for a nostalgic look & ride!

I'm gonna have to look at the sidewall. Mine, being mounted on multi-piece wheels need the tube. I think they came from Miller Tire in Ohio. Like Coker, they specialize in hard to find tires.

I'm gonna have to look at the sidewall. Mine, being mounted on multi-piece wheels need the tube. I think they came from Miller Tire in Ohio. Like Coker, they specialize in hard to find tires.
I looked at the sidewall and no mention of 'tube type' or tubeless.

I'd bet that is a super tough tire that won't fail from sidewall or tread damage like a radial. I'd also bet it will be a little rougher ride, wear a bit more on the highway, and be a bit less fuel efficient..................I have tirecappers "extra grip" tread on retreaded on radial cores. Based on treadwear they are about a 40K mile tire, but I have lost 2 to sidwall cuts from rocks and debris. They are the only tall skinny old school tread pattern I know of in a radial.

I just bought 4 dexstar 16x6 trailer wheels and cut the centers out with a holesaw. Mounted a set of Falken Wildpeak M/T 01 in a 255 85r 16. Inflated height 33" , havent measured width. 19/32 tread depth. I chose because they dont have a bunch of angular blocks all over the sidewall. The blocks are squared off and at the tire's lug.

pair of 255s.jpg

I looked at the sidewall and no mention of 'tube type' or tubeless.
Coker lists them as tube type, which is why I asked. I'm not old enough to know how the old school type bia ply tires work. Wasn't sure if a tube is absolutely required, or just "suggested".

With a multi piece wheel as on many heavy duty vintage trucks and some agricultural equipment, a tube is essential. Even on a single pice rim it looks like this tire needs a tube. The rim would also need to be quite narrow by today's standards. I also have a set of Courser brand 7.50 x 17 bias ply traction tires. Sadly, this tire is no longer manufactured.
yellow wheel, woodie beam etc 004.JPG

With a multi piece wheel as on many heavy duty vintage trucks and some agricultural equipment, a tube is essential. Even on a single pice rim it looks like this tire needs a tube. The rim would also need to be quite narrow by today's standards. I also have a set of Courser brand 7.50 x 17 bias ply traction tires. Sadly, this tire is no longer manufactured.View attachment 3298350
The 235 85R 16 extra grip retreads from tireacappers are not that tall but the tread is basicly the same. They are radial so longer life, better mpg, better ride................. Group buys on ali baba of 20 or so tires seems to be the way to get odd size tires that are a niche demand. 9R-16 michelen XZL copies are interesting.

I chased a rabbit down a deep hole looking for 8.25 XZLs. The used ones were from Europe + shipping. I settled on the Falkens as they were something like 1044.00 delivered to my door. Would love to see the Chinese clone.

I chased a rabbit down a deep hole looking for 8.25 XZLs. The used ones were from Europe + shipping. I settled on the Falkens as they were something like 1044.00 delivered to my door. Would love to see the Chinese clone.
There's a website out of Canada that sells the 8.25-16 surplus xzls. I think they're too expensive when you add shipping to it. 255 100r 16 is equivalent to 9r 16. Yellow sea is the Chinese company or factory that makes a lot of the xzl clones. There are many sellers on Alibaba. Some will sell just four tires. I have read on another forum of people doing a group buy and selling the excess on eBay. Some have reported trouble getting the Chinese tires to balance. Here's a link to one seller Source YELLOWSEA brand cross country tyres 255/100R16 wholesale TBR tire for truck on m.alibaba.com - https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600173824617/YELLOWSEA-brand-cross-country-tyres-255.html

I think heavy duty truck tires like the xzl would ride rough and burn more fuel compared to a modern light truck tire. If you are however losing regular tires due to road and rock damage not sure what is better.

Yes, I don't balance my XZL either and they are ok even at 130kph.
But I stay on 7.50R16, I think the bigger sizes are meant for far heavier vehicles if you want any flex from them (and I'd start to be afraid of braking performance).
yes you have a point that they are stiff tires. though these are rated load range D they have 4 steel plies in tread and 1 steel ply in sidewall. Canadian army used them on the G wagons so I found a batch of 6 take offs locally.
I like the size. In that first photo they are beside a mounted 285/75r16 which should be close to a 33, but bfg run small. These are around 33.5" plus/minus. So far been good tires but I haven't put a lot of miles on them yet.

I've lost 2 of my extra grip recaps to sidewall damage. I probably could have put a tube in them and continued on. I was worried about the cut radial sidewall coming apart at highway speed.........Yes that worry is perhaps a emotional problem and not based on real danger.

I enjoy this thread and think it's usefull. Alot of usefull and out of the norm information here. I have recently bought some tire changing bars, a bubble balancer, and tried a improvised bead breaking technique successfully. Split rims are not the only practical way to do a trailside tire repair/change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom