SAS Solid Axle Summit #7 Official Page (1 Viewer)

SAS #7 Color Choices for Swag and Trail Flags

• • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • • Sky Blue

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • • Pollux Orange

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • • Capri Blue

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • • Rustic Green

Votes: 31 33.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the tips. I have a FZJ80
Tyler, I’m about 30 miles west of San Marcos. You’re always welcome to come spend time in the shop and do any prep work on your 80. As @SoTexCruiserDoc mentioned, we will be coordinating a Friday run to Casey’s in Amarillo as well. Look forward to having you at SAS with us. Full transparency…if you have any sort of an addictive personality, you might have some exposure here :). Speaking from personal experience

Jimmy 713-805-3962
Cruisers Anonymous

Hi @TCruiser93

Since you’re driving a FZJ80, you’ll need ethanol free fuel at altitude and high temperatures. Without it, the gas venting system can’t keep up with ethanol evaporation and builds pressure in the gas tank. When it becomes a problem, you’ll smell gas in the cabin and hear pressure venting when removing the gas cap. It helps to replace your Vapor Canister, but not necessary if you use ethanol free fuel.

We usually gas up the day prior and never need extra fuel at the end of a full day of wheeling. There is ethanol free fuel in Ouray, close to camp.

Some maintenance items to check before coming start with the basics. Tuneup, check all fluid levels, and tire pressure. Check all the rubber hoses in your cooling system and your brakes. Check all bolts under the hood and under your truck for general tightness, including your driveshaft. There’s a long skinny 14mm box wrench on Amazon that helps with the driveshaft bolts. Check the torque on the cone nuts, lug nuts, and the axle knuckle nuts, which are common failure points. Does hurt to bring basic tools and parts that could strand you on the trail. PM me for more detail if you like.

Bring lunch with you to eat on the trail, though some days we eat lunch in Telluride or Silverton. Lots of good restaurants in Ouray.

Look forward to meeting you. Come find us to join on the trail. Below is a picture to find my truck. You can usually find me with another green 80 near the center of camp.

Welcome to SAS Tyler

Ron

View attachment 3297978
I’m a believer with Ron about the fuel in the 80’s. It happened to me last year and was more than a little concerning. There are 2 fuel stations by camp, one has ethanol free fuel…

Alcohol or ethanol have about half the energy per volume of gasoline, and a really high octane. Which can be useful in some circumstances. None of which apply to a gutless old Toyota engine without making some serious changes. 😆

Any rubber not spec'd for ethanol will suffer as well.

I'll start another Texas Convoy thread as we get closer to August.
Typically leave on Saturday morning out of Amarillo, go over Medano Pass to the Great SandDunes NP then camp on BLM land south of the entrance to the park. Sunday morning we go to Poncha Springs for a stop at Classic Cruisers and lunch at Elevation Brewery before heading up Monarch Pass eventually arriving in Ouray late afternoon.
Can a Denver truck join the Texas convoy for Medano?

Usually Karen and I go to Utah for about 5 days pre-SAS for some solitude, but we are thinking about doing that post-SAS this year … meaning we’ll be heading up 285 and could cut south to Westcliffe to catch Medano.

Usually Karen and I go to Utah for about 5 days pre-SAS for some solitude, but we are thinking about doing that post-SAS this year … meaning we’ll be heading up 285 and could cut south to Westcliffe to catch Medano.
Absolutely, we can plan logistics down the road.

I usually just catch the TX Convoy when they get to Classic Cruisers.

I know a guy from the Austin area that is going as well and mentioned the convoy and what they did last year. He thinks it might be very similar this time. He mentioned Amarillo Friday, then somewhere else Saturday and possibly classic cruisers on Sunday. That was last time. I don't think I'll be able to leave Friday, but maybe I can join up with y'all at some other point on the trip!
Join up wherever you can it’s an awesome group and an awesome time!

Hi @TCruiser93

Since you’re driving a FZJ80, you’ll need ethanol free fuel at altitude and high temperatures. Without it, the gas venting system can’t keep up with ethanol evaporation and builds pressure in the gas tank. When it becomes a problem, you’ll smell gas in the cabin and hear pressure venting when removing the gas cap. It helps to replace your Vapor Canister, but not necessary if you use ethanol free fuel.

We usually gas up the day prior and never need extra fuel at the end of a full day of wheeling. There is ethanol free fuel in Ouray, close to camp.

Some maintenance items to check before coming start with the basics. Tuneup, check all fluid levels, and tire pressure. Check all the rubber hoses in your cooling system and your brakes. Check all bolts under the hood and under your truck for general tightness, including your driveshaft. There’s a long skinny 14mm box wrench on Amazon that helps with the driveshaft bolts. Check the torque on the cone nuts, lug nuts, and the axle knuckle nuts, which are common failure points. Doesn’t hurt to bring basic tools and parts that could strand you on the trail. PM me for more detail if you like.

Bring lunch with you to eat on the trail, though some days we eat lunch in Telluride or Silverton. Lots of good restaurants in Ouray.

Look forward to meeting you. Come find us to join on the trail. Below is a picture to find my truck. You can usually find me with another green 80 near the center of camp.

Welcome to SAS Tyler

Ron

View attachment 3297978
Funny, my dad's name is Ron. See you out there! Thanks!

Tyler, I’m about 30 miles west of San Marcos. You’re always welcome to come spend time in the shop and do any prep work on your 80. As @SoTexCruiserDoc mentioned, we will be coordinating a Friday run to Casey’s in Amarillo as well. Look forward to having you at SAS with us. Full transparency…if you have any sort of an addictive personality, you might have some exposure here :). Speaking from personal experience

Jimmy 713-805-3962
Cruisers Anonymous
I appreciate it Jimmy! Maybe I can take you up on that sometime.

Pre-running Black Bear in Microsoft Flight Sim. 😆

20230416_152902.jpg

Well maybe do Tincup (BV 2 Elmo) then shoot down and catch a group in Gunnison?
I am thinking of doing that going in with an overnighter camping. Im thinking st elmo tincup out though pikin to gunnison. Then lake city to engineers pass to quray prob camp and one of my favorite spots on the lake city side of engineer.

329115127_950860866290250_339555044053824869_n.jpg

I am thinking of doing that going in with an overnighter camping. Im thinking st elmo tincup out though pikin to gunnison. Then lake city to engineers pass to quray prob camp and one of my favorite spots on the lake city side of engineer.

View attachment 3300322
That pic is gorgeous R. !

Wondering...is there an air station anywhere around the camp or Ouray?

She’s striped up. That means I’m ready, right?

I wouldn’t wish a stripe installation on my worst enemy. I would 100% hire this out next time. Anyway, Project Trail Bling is done.

88C2AB05-4AF3-4392-BB4E-E213C9495673.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom