WarPaint - My 1969 1-owner FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Plan is to get it running and driving. Upgrade brakes, get seats and seat belts to some decent standard of safety and go from there.

Dreaming, mechanically injected turbo diesel pared with a 5 speed, soa, 35s, nice restomod!

I have 2 boys who will drive this as there around town as there first.
If I may, allow me to advocate keeping it as stock as practical.

My 1F motor was really, really stuck, so I dropped a friend's 2F in it.

Does it still have column shift, or has it been moved to the floor?

Passenger side, right behind the bumper on the outside frame rail
It is partially covered!
20230412_195031.jpg

A couple of hits with a hammer and it freed up.
Well, you never told us you were an FJ40 master mechanic!

Welcome to the club.

I see it's been converted to floor shift. Though the end of the column shifter is still on your steering column and in really good shape. If/when you pull your steering column, lemme know. I need a piece on there that you ain't using any more.

BTW, my VIN is FJ40 67427, so is about 200 away from yours, so that makes yours a post 3/69 production. As you order parts, you'll want to know that, as 3/69 was a transition month for many parts.

FYI if it hasn't been mentioned the passenger fender and A pillar should have plaques on your 4/69 cruiser. Besides being a transition year prior 3/69 Toyota dropped from the parts system many years ago.
Here is what my buddy had to say about WarPaint View attachment 3297394

I purchased a 10/69 FJ40 from the original owner. Not quite sure why it didn't stay in the family. There were four sons. Not sure if he needed the money and none of his sons could afford it or they all or none wanted it. I know he past away a few years after I bought it. No one from the family has ever tried to reach me about buying back. Other than the 2F it is a real survivor. I know it must have had many family members. Feel it should have stayed in the family. I've had it twelve years and still not sure why I bought.
The carrot 025.jpg
IMG_2516.JPG

When folks say 4/69 or 10/69, is that month and year? How does a person tell what theirs is?

Yes month and year. US models from 3/69 on have a plaque on the driver's A pillar with that info. Specter Off Road has a chart with dates by VIN from 1964 on.

Welcom to Mud! It looks like your truck got the MAF "power pack" back in the day. Which consisted of the Rochester carb you have, and a AC Delco distributor, among other things. Hopefully the original parts conveyed with the truck. If not, you will want to dispose of the AC Delco distributor and source a Toyota dizzy. They are know to take out the cam because the gear they use is not cut the same as the original Toyota. Also, if you ever remove the distributor, it is imperative you fully seat the replacement distributor, or you won't have oil pressure, and you will kill your engine rather rapidly. If you can get a close up picture of the dizzy we can identify whether it is an AC Delco or not. The AC Delco has a large knob on the side that no Toyota has.

FYI if it hasn't been mentioned the passenger fender and A pillar should have plaques on your 4/69 cruiser. Besides being a transition year prior 3/69 Toyota dropped from the parts system many years ago.

I purchased a 10/69 FJ40 from the original owner. Not quite sure why it didn't stay in the family. There were four sons. Not sure if he needed the money and none of his sons could afford it or they all or none wanted it. I know he past away a few years after I bought it. No one from the family has ever tried to reach me about buying back. Other than the 2F it is a real survivor. I know it must have had many family members. Feel it should have stayed in the family. I've had it twelve years and still not sure why I bought.
View attachment 3297405View attachment 3297404

That is like mine , difference is I have the original F145 engine. Pure survivors are hard to find.

I got her into my shop!

Took the fiberglass hood off and only snapped 2 of the 6 bolts! What do y'all like for penetrating oil?

I pulled the spark plugs, crawled underneath to get a look at the crankshaft nut and scratched my head in confusion. After a quick Google run, I found out it is a hand crank device. Anyways, I put her in 3rd and rolled her a bit. Engine turned over freely.

Tomorrow I will pull the seats to get to fuel tank.

20230416_201700.jpg
20230416_201714.jpg
20230416_210451.jpg

War Paint… An apt name for your intentions. Congratulations. GLWYB.

I have 2 boys who will drive this as there around town as there first.

Took the fiberglass hood off and only snapped 2 of the 6 bolts! What do y'all like for penetrating oil?
Personal favs: PB Blaster for the mundane impossible. Kroil for the fanatical red scourge.

I pulled the seats would like to pull the fuel tank to clean and check the integrity. My seat frame seems to be welded to my roll cage plate. Is this how it is typically setup? Pulling this fuel tank has now become more involved. Next thing you know, I am doing a frame off restore, lol! View attachment 3305315View attachment 3305316View attachment 3305318View attachment 3305320
That's Bubba as ****.

There's a reason I don't care for non-standard modifications. Now you get to pay the price for the OP's butchery.

The stock driver's seat forms the top of that box you see under it, and unclips quite easily. The stock passenger seat has four easily undone 12 mm bolts that screw out to allow maintenance on the transmission and fuel tank. Or just clean it out really good.

The good news is that once you cut all that garbage out of there, it's fairly easy to restore it back to a non-retarded configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom