Tire Size and Gear Ratio (1 Viewer)

Upgraded Gear Ratio and Tire Size

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You beat me to it Phil and why I asked what RPMs he was at 4 post back !!

It's also how I got the fat little pig 3' in the air at Pismo Beach at Turf & Surf some years back on 37s Low Range 2nd 4000 RPM

Again what everyone seems to be missing is are they doing it over the Ike gauntlet? And just because you posted it doesn’t mean it was seen as everyone is glossing over the specific road I mention in my original comment.

Is this up the Ike gauntlet?

Obviously a Landcruiser can drive 65mph in 2nd on flat ground.
Your a funny Guy
Phil has been on the board almost 20 years and over 25,000 post and your going to question his integrity !!!

Again what everyone seems to be missing is are they doing it over the Ike gauntlet? And just because you posted it doesn’t mean it was seen as everyone is glossing over the specific road I mention in my original comment.
You never answered the question in post #55

Your a funny Guy
Phil has been on the board almost 20 years and over 25,000 post and your going to question his integrity !!!

I asked a simple question but I don’t trust anyone especially someone I’ve never personally met.

In my case I ran 2nd about 4K+ rpm’s when the hill would allow and when it would increase grade the rpm’s and speed would fall and it would downshift to first. That doesn’t mean I ran the length of I70 like that but there are sections you are just going to lose.

I literally did this drive two weeks ago. This is probably the only section of interstate like this and where this would occur. Otherwise I would agree that the other 99% of the time, it’s no issue.

I’m simply providing a perspective of my real world first hand experience on one of the toughest sections of interstate, but clearly the only people with integrity have to have long standing accounts here.

it is what it is, don’t like it? Pound sand.

Last edited:
Is this up the Ike

Obviously a Landcruiser can drive 65mph in 2nd on flat ground.
Here you go from 2012 and the first line applies to YOU

A lot of 80 series owners complain about lack of power to climb a hills.

I'm posting a video to shows how it is done. :popcorn:

I'm also pulling a small trailer (pictured) I tried showing it in the video but not very well.:flipoff2:

Conditions
Arizona
July 29
100° +
Travel time Noon

Hwy 87 south out of Slate creek ( see attached)
3 miles @ 7% grade (not sure why the TOPO shows it at 8%) Source
1000’ elevation gain in ~3 miles

Video in vehicle
1996 80 series
Original radiator
Original PHH
Original head gasket
35” BFG KM2
Stock gears
Light armor
Full of gas
AC running
Trailer weight ~600#
Speedo has been corrected

Performance upgrades
Fan clutch – performance tuned by ToolsRus
High clearance over the frame exhaust,
Walker quiet muffler
Magnaflow single heavy duty cat
Safari Snorke

hill-climb-jpg.659095

Here you go from 2012 and the first line applies to YOU

A lot of 80 series owners complain about lack of power to climb a hills.

I'm posting a video to shows how it is done. :popcorn:

I'm also pulling a small trailer (pictured) I tried showing it in the video but not very well.:flipoff2:

Conditions
Arizona
July 29
100° +
Travel time Noon

Hwy 87 south out of Slate creek ( see attached)
3 miles @ 7% grade (not sure why the TOPO shows it at 8%) Source
1000’ elevation gain in ~3 miles

Video in vehicle
1996 80 series
Original radiator
Original PHH
Original head gasket
35” BFG KM2
Stock gears
Light armor
Full of gas
AC running
Trailer weight ~600#
Speedo has been corrected

Performance upgrades
Fan clutch – performance tuned by ToolsRus
High clearance over the frame exhaust,
Walker quiet muffler
Magnaflow single heavy duty cat
Safari Snorke

hill-climb-jpg.659095

I appreciate your post and that looks like a good run but it’s still not comparable to the Ike gauntlet which is over twice as long and over twice the elevation gain. There’s a big difference between climbing from 3000 ft to 4000ft and 9000ft to over 11,000.

I’m not questioning your trip in Arizona, I specifically called out the Ike.

I appreciate your post and that looks like a good run but it’s still not comparable to the Ike gauntlet which is over twice as long and over twice the elevation gain. There’s a big difference between climbing from 3000 ft to 4000 ft and 9000ft to over 11,000

You need to learn to drive an 80 and you would not need to waste time because you think you can.

You need to learn to drive an 80 and you would not need to waste time because you think you can.

There are two options L and 2. All you can do it put your foot down. Please explain to me what I need to learn when you are in 2nd with the accelerator smashed to the floor and you are beginning to lose speed and RPM on 6% grade at 11000 ft. The 80 isn’t special.

Last edited:
There are two options L and 2. All you can do it put your foot down. Please explain to me what I need to learn when you are in 2nd with the accelerator smashed to the floor and you are beginning to lose speed and RPM?
Its not to the floor.....try it your engine runs cooler and it loves RPM
Still lots of throttle The video I celebrated 200K on the same hill at 4600 RPM check out the water temp HAPPY

Even my POS 3FE...2nd gear 50-55 mph in 2nd @ 4200 rpm up steep grade on 37s and lots of added weight!
You ain’t been up this bad boy. It’s the towing test of all towing tests around these parts.
DEA806B8-26D7-47E1-9E84-BAE229659338.png

lol. The only thing i am towing is my skinny ass and my 40 lb pup...

gonna register my rig down in Florida - V8 swap is the plan and 40s.
Say WHAT no more 3FE ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom