Tire Size and Gear Ratio (1 Viewer)

Upgraded Gear Ratio and Tire Size

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mmmm you must not travel in MontanašŸ˜…when I had that set up, Iā€™d have to go up some hills going 45 screaming in 2nd.
I use 2nd all the time and the engine likes 4000k plus up the hill. Tried and proven by @LandCruiserPhil

That makes absolutely zero sense....
It makes perfect sense when you know the problem he is referring to , and he lives in Europe not Montana. šŸ¤£

you got any numbers for 4.88, 33's and 75mph in Overdrive? Who drives 65 anymore and what 80series hits 120?? ;p
My 80 does 120 just fine. :smokin: (Admittedly with 4.56s and an 8 speed.)

200 RPM difference at cruising speed (ish) - Eh, just run the 33s with the 4.88s and stop sweating it.

My 80 does 120 just fine. :smokin: (Admittedly with 4.56s and an 8 speed.)

200 RPM difference at cruising speed (ish) - Eh, just run the 33s with the 4.88s and stop sweating it.
You forgot to mention V8 POWER

You forgot to mention V8 POWER
Oh, yeah, and a V8.

Also does 30MPH in low range, but still has deeper gearing in 1st than stock. Probably the best feature TBH - Get off the pavement > stick it in low > forget it for the rest of the day.

I've had 35's and stock gears pretty much since I've owned my 80. I never really thought I needed to regear. I live in the "mountains" of VA/WV too. Now that I've switched to 37s I think I need to do something. (LS swap is on the list of possibilities)

I've had 35's and stock gears pretty much since I've owned my 80. I never really thought I needed to regear. I live in the "mountains" of VA/WV too. Now that I've switched to 37s I think I need to do something. (LS swap is on the list of possibilities)
I bet your U-joints love you.

So why not gear it, do it in 3rd, and keep up with traffic?
No reason to. I enjoy the scenery as I drive and in no rush. Not looking for it to be a sports car.

I use 2nd all the time and the engine likes 4000k plus up the hill. Tried and proven by @LandCruiserPhil

@45mph ya it works but not 65mph as implied earlier. Having just ran a trip to Moab and back from Denver I can attest that stock gears and 35s cannot drive 65mph up either side of the Ike gauntlet. Your locked in 2nd in the right lane with the semis.

@45mph ya it works but not 65mph as implied earlier. Having just ran a trip to Moab and back from Denver I can attest that stock gears and 35s cannot drive 65mph up either side of the Ike gauntlet. Your locked in 2nd in the right lane with the semis.
What RPM where you at ?

Come for a ride with me and will show you how its done. I never implied 65 but I do pass semis at 60 plus. Enough said. Late!!!

Come for a ride with me and will show you how its done. I never implied 65 but I do pass semis at 60 plus. Enough said. Late!!!

Thereā€™s nothing to show cowboy itā€™s simply a mechanical limitation. I also never implied I canā€™t pass vehicles, but you arenā€™t passing them at 60 on the Ike. Thereā€™s section of that road where you are completely floored and losing RPMs and speed

Last edited:
Wrong been doing it for years all over the west coast without issue

You beat me to it Phil and why I asked what RPMs he was at 4 post back !!

It's also how I got the fat little pig 3' in the air at Pismo Beach at Turf & Surf some years back on 37s Low Range 2nd 4000 RPM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom