Fuel/lift Pump recommendation for HDJ81 WVO set-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I have a waste veg oil set up installed on my HDJ81. It has a secondary tank installed at the rear of the vehicle with a coolant coil going through the tank to help heat the oil. The system also has a seperate fuel filter installed for the veg oil (aluminum base heated with coolant) and a send and return valve for switching from the stock diesel system to the veg system. The veg oil return line is looped. I also have an electronic heater installed just before the injection pump, which is activated on the same electronic switch as the send valve, to ensure that the veg oil is at the right temp.

My question is, because the veg oil fuel line is quite long (running all the way back to the rear tank), I figure this puts a significant amount of strain on the injection pump. So I'm thinking about adding an aftermarket fuel/lift pump that helps pull the oil from the rear tank. Does anyone have any recommendations on this? If so, what brand/rating should I go for?

I found this Walbro one, which has a PSI rating of 8-10. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this would be the right choice, or if they'd recommend something else.

I’m using this low pressure pump on Volvo BV206 with 1HD-FT engine
D6B81D60-37F0-4765-8B46-5DF5D1383D1F.jpeg

hi the walbro pump would work but the pressure is a bit high,if your injection pump O rings are old,the pump might start leaking fuel,i usa a cheap electric pump from princess auto with about 6 psi pressure for my 92 HDJ81 veg system,my 2nd tank is also at the back of the truck.

I ran veggie for years and had to stop due to a move, but I've always been pleased with this style pump:
E8012S inline external fuel pump with screw in fittings
That's the pump I bought for my upcoming WVO conversion, (I need to swap in the diesel first) that style works well, and while it's not the quietest pump, you'll only hear it when you are waiting for the glowplugs to heat up. It's mounted to the outlet of my primary veggie filter with a heat pad wrapped around it, so it only receives veggie that already filtered.

You sound like you already know this but make sure your return line doesn't have any restrictions.

Also I ran two valves for switching the fuel source, one for the fuel supply and one for the return so I would be returning warm unused veggie oil to the veggie tank, which made me feel like I was getting more use out of the heat on cold days. Both fuel valves ran off relays.

I have been using the 24 vdc version of that pump for years and years and thousands and thousands of litres of wvo in 2 different rigs. If your IP is a VE Rotary then the pressure helps to advance the mechanical injection. Only issue was the fine metal screen clogging and I removed the screens a loooog time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom