Fj 60 tuffy console install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
Just wanted to share some info from my tuffy console install, as it might be useful for others doing the same.

I pulled the old console.

The existing bolts were m3.

I cut 2 7" pieces of 1.5" square perf tube, as another thread used that as a base.

The front cup holder was in the lowest set of holes on the new tuffy console (level with the bottom).

I bolted the perf tube in the rear and middle set of holes(mine had 3 sets of Phillips bolts holding it in, not just two as I'd seen in photos.)

I used m3 *25 hex key button head bolts and a 1" fender washer. The holes are just over 4" 4-1/4 I think, apart, so you can use the slop of the 1/2" holes in the perf tube to bolt them down.

I then used an existing hole for the base of my alignment, the front passenger hole holding the support on the rear. This aligned nicely. I measured out 5" and drilled the next hole.

I inserted 2 m8 rivnuts in the perf tube as shown.

PXL_20221107_014936485.jpg

PXL_20221107_014957845.jpg

The middle mount is 1/4" lower than the back. I had some red 1/4" silicone from another project, so I shimmed it with that, but fender washers on top or bottom works too.

It might be easier to get 1-3/4" tube for the front than to shim it, but I didn't want to wait.

I measured and drilled the front 2 holes, shimmed the front most bracket on the floor with a 1/8" bit of foam to prevent rattles, as the cup holder on the front just barely wasn't touching it, and bolted it all up.

2x M8*20 for the back
2x M8*30 for the front.

PXL_20221107_021046872.jpg

A 3mm Allen key fits through the rivnut if I need to remove/tighten the M3 bolts holding the perf tube to the truck later.

It's rock solid and easily removable. I didn't mutilate the cruiser. All holes are still in stock configuration.

The only mods to the console are the 3 new holes, and the one I enlarged.

PXL_20221107_014952214.jpg

PXL_20221107_014933753.jpg

PXL_20221107_223622231.jpg

1667862017008.png

I ordered some flanged button head hex key bolts to replace these normal JIS flanged bolts.

(Update: if ihad it to to over I'd move it about 1" further forward so the rear seat folds all the way down)

I had to wallow out 2 of the 3 new holes because apparently, I can't measure.
Those four holes are the only mods I made to the center console.

PXL_20221107_223604598.jpg

PXL_20221107_223600527.jpg

PXL_20221107_223550433.jpg

Bolting the square perf tube down with the M3 hex key bolts was the hardest part of the whole process... Just because it's fiddly.

That and measuring.... I had the layout drawn on the bottom with measurements to share, but after I had to wallow 2 holes out to fit, I figured nobody would want it.

Last edited:
Nice Write up! Where did you get the console, do you have a part number? I like that color

Do the rear seats fold up with the rear cup holder?
I did this exact same thing in my previous 60, and yes the rear seat still folds as normal. The rear cup holders compress the seat foam a little.

Would anybody be interested in a divider system for the Tuffy? When I had one in a previous 60 it always turned into a bottomless pit.

I designed a system a while back, but never got it off the ground. It needs some tweaks but I could approach that project again if there’s interest.

Would anybody be interested in a divider system for the Tuffy? When I had one in a previous 60 it always turned into a bottomless pit.

I designed a system a while back, but never got it off the ground. It needs some tweaks but I could approach that project again if there’s interest.

Resounding yes.

yes I have the TUFFY and its a bottomless pit

I've always wondered if the tuffy console was too high. I mean you have to lean over to roll the passenger window down/up. Are you crushing your ribs when lean over?
That didn't bother me so much, and I actually really liked mine. I sold it with my previous 60 and have stayed with the OEM console in my new 60. I found that over time I was abusing the Tuffy as an armrest. It was great at first. 6 months later I found that I wasn't just resting my arm on it, but leaning onto it with my body weight. After about a year I was driving all hunched over to the side and I couldn't get out of the habit. That's a "me problem" though and not really the fault of the Tuffy.

Nice write-up. I have the Cruisercrap console which is similar to the Tuffy, I made a "Temporary" mount for my console a couple of years ago to figure out height and position and never got around to making it more permanent. This is on my to-do list when I reinstall my interior.

I did this exact same thing in my previous 60, and yes the rear seat still folds as normal. The rear cup holders compress the seat foam a little.

I think if it folds depends on where you set the console, mine -ALMOST- folded when I pushed on the foam a bit.
I pushed fairly hard on the seat bottom, and the cup holder was flexing the console.

I might have been able to force it. But below is a pic of where it stopped for me.

I think moving the console even an inch or two further forward and it would have folded up just fine.
There is plenty of room to move it forward if you look where I put the bolts thru the bottom.
I pushed the console that far back because

A, It was a stock hole for easy measuring reference
and
B. I wanted room for big gulpcups not to hit the shifter in any gear.
(The console in my 40 is perfect unless you put big cups in the cupholder, then it's a pain)

1682191709930.jpeg

I think if it folds depends on where you set the console, mine -ALMOST- folded when I pushed on the foam a bit.
I pushed fairly hard on the seat bottom, and the cup holder was flexing the console.

I might have been able to force it. But below is a pic of where it stopped for me.

I think moving the console even an inch or two further forward and it would have folded up just fine.
There is plenty of room to move it forward if you look where I put the bolts thru the bottom.
I pushed the console that far back because

A, It was a stock hole for easy measuring reference
and
B. I wanted room for big gulpcups not to hit the shifter in any gear.
(The console in my 40 is perfect unless you put big cups in the cupholder, then it's a pain)

View attachment 3304562
True, it depends on where you mount it. Rummaging through my fuzzy memory banks, I think I lined up the rear holes for the OEM console with the rear holes of the Tuffy and then did self tappers in the front. Not my finest work, but you couldn’t see it.

Mounting is going to be 60 specific, reasonable switch/RAM ball placement, adjustable arm rests, optional dividers, cup holders, useful tray. Let me know if I'm missing anything as these are going to be sent to laser soon as I solidify the details.

Picture is early prototype so it's not remotely finished correctly.

20230420_171301[1].jpg

I wanted to add this, these organizer/tackle boxes work excellently to organize the junk in the console. Looks like you can fit 3 under the acorn nuts for the seat belt straps.

Edit: 4 fits just fine, though you have to angle the 3rd one around the acorn nuts on the way out. Inward seems to just work out.

Flambeau Outdoors 4007 Tuff Tainer, Fishing Tackle Tray Box, Includes [12] Zerust Dividers, 24 Compartments

PXL_20230819_194327237.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to share some info from my tuffy console install, as it might be useful for others doing the same.

I pulled the old console.

The existing bolts were m3.

I cut 2 7" pieces of 1.5" square perf tube, as another thread used that as a base.

The front cup holder was in the lowest set of holes on the new tuffy console (level with the bottom).

I bolted the perf tube in the rear and middle set of holes(mine had 3 sets of Phillips bolts holding it in, not just two as I'd seen in photos.)

I used m3 *25 hex key button head bolts and a 1" fender washer. The holes are just over 4" 4-1/4 I think, apart, so you can use the slop of the 1/2" holes in the perf tube to bolt them down.

I then used an existing hole for the base of my alignment, the front passenger hole holding the support on the rear. This aligned nicely. I measured out 5" and drilled the next hole.

I inserted 2 m8 rivnuts in the perf tube as shown.

View attachment 3162092
View attachment 3162090
The middle mount is 1/4" lower than the back. I had some red 1/4" silicone from another project, so I shimmed it with that, but fender washers on top or bottom works too.

It might be easier to get 1-3/4" tube for the front than to shim it, but I didn't want to wait.

I measured and drilled the front 2 holes, shimmed the front most bracket on the floor with a 1/8" bit of foam to prevent rattles, as the cup holder on the front just barely wasn't touching it, and bolted it all up.

2x M8*20 for the back
2x M8*30 for the front.

View attachment 3162087

A 3mm Allen key fits through the rivnut if I need to remove/tighten the M3 bolts holding the perf tube to the truck later.

It's rock solid and easily removable. I didn't mutilate the cruiser. All holes are still in stock configuration.

The only mods to the console are the 3 new holes, and the one I enlarged.

View attachment 3162091

View attachment 3162093

View attachment 3162148

View attachment 3162158
I ordered some flanged button head hex key bolts to replace these normal JIS flanged bolts.

I had to wallow out 2 of the 3 new holes because apparently, I can't measure.
Those four holes are the only mods I made to the center console.

View attachment 3162149

View attachment 3162150

View attachment 3162151

Bolting the square perf tube down with the M3 hex key bolts was the hardest part of the whole process... Just because it's fiddly.

That and measuring.... I had the layout drawn on the bottom with measurements to share, but after I had to wallow 2 holes out to fit, I figured nobody would want it.
thanks for the detailed write up! I'm doing the same thing in the next week, using the 1-3/4" and 1.5" perf tube. i'll let you know how mine comes out.

thanks for the detailed write up! I'm doing the same thing in the next week, using the 1-3/4" and 1.5" perf tube. i'll let you know how mine comes out.
Super easy install this way. The larger 1-2/4" tube was a perfect fit. you are right, though, the hardest part is getting the tubing tighten down.

I wanted to add this, these organizer/tackle boxes work excellently to organize the junk in the console. Looks like you can fit 3 under the acorn nuts for the seat belt straps.

Edit: 4 fits just fine, though you have to angle the 3rd one around the acorn nuts on the way out. Inward seems to just work out.

Flambeau Outdoors 4007 Tuff Tainer, Fishing Tackle Tray Box, Includes [12] Zerust Dividers, 24 Compartments

View attachment 3405235
I used the 4 holes and put pegs in, 2 aluminum L shaped stock and bolts to the PO plates. Then carpeted the plate, set a container store drawer organizer on it and it’s perfect

IMG_3339.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom