LX570 trailhead car theft prevention? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm attaching a PDF of this subscriber-only article from The Globe and Mail talking about ways to slow down or discourage a car thief. That's where I learned of Sherlock's OBD Protector. You can find it on Amazon. Most reviewers there seem happy with the product but complain about the installation instructions being unclear.

I don't have one myself as my GX470 still relies a physical key...

Attachments

• Want to prevent car theft - Protecting the OBD port and The Club are a good start - The Globe ...pdf
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
There was no evidence of anyone trying to seal it after a few hours. If anyone tried, they would've had to bring a shovel at a minimum to get the car out of the unmaintained New Hampshire Class VI road before I find them. (I.e. I wish I had a shovel in the car yesterday.)

Mud on the ground under heavy snow on an uphill slope was tough. It was very easy to get all four wheels in mud holes. Dealing with that was more memorable than hiking itself (serious).

View attachment 3295219
Please don't drive on class 6 NH or class 4 VT roads until the mud season passes. It is a sure fire way to destroy terrain, upset residents, and potentially have access to these places closed. I say this with no malice. I just don't want to lose more access to already limited options in our region.

If someone wants your car, they are going to take it. You can reduce your potential for being a target by not leaving things in sight, not leaving valuables in the vehicle, and not making it worth anyones time to break in. Keep the thief looking for an easy grab moving on to the next easier target. We have a local trailhead where there are constant break ins - very busy lot, near a main paved road, usually smash and grab of contents. Separately, a lot of friends that are serious hikers (one did 100 summits last year) mostly have someone drop them off and pick them up. Another approach might be to buy a cheap %h1^box car and use it for parking in places where you think stuff like that might happen. I just park my car, keep stuff out of sight, and forget about it. If someone wants my car or the contents, they'll find a way to get them.

I'm attaching a PDF of this subscriber-only article from The Globe and Mail talking about ways to slow down or discourage a car thief. That's where I learned of Sherlock's OBD Protector. You can find it on Amazon. Most reviewers there seem happy with the product but complain about the installation instructions being unclear.

I don't have one myself as my GX470 still relies a physical key...

a real thief would buy one of these just for the key

I'm much more concerned about break ins than theft of the whole car. Lots of stories of lots of break ins at remote trailheads in the western U.S., including here on Mud. Shortage of replacement glass because of so many cars getting broken into, thieves just don't hesitate even to just look for stuff. I left my 100 at my brother's place in northern Idaho, with plans to take it on camping trips. If I do, I'll stick to car-camping, and day hikes only at busy trailheads. Sucks, but good chance of coming back to find windows broken and interior ripped up, I would not be able to enjoy camping.

I doubt that this company's OBD locks all share the same key pattern.

possibly but can't be too many variations in these parts

1681238144566.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom